September 5th, 2008

Winfrey: Report about Palin 'categorically untrue'

Winfrey campaigned with Sen. Obama and his wife, Michelle, in New Hampshire late last year.

(CNN) – Talk show host Oprah Winfrey is denying a report of division within her staff over booking Republican vice presidential nominee Gov. Sarah Palin as a guest.

“The item in today’s Drudge Report is categorically untrue,” Winfrey wrote in a statement issued Friday. “There has been absolutely no discussion about having Sarah Palin on my show.”

Citing sources that had spoken to the news Web site, a story posted Friday morning on The Drudge Report said “Oprah's staff is sharply divided on the merits of booking Sarah Palin.” “One executive close to Winfrey is warning any Palin ban could ignite a dramatic backlash!,” the story also says.

But Winfrey, a longtime and outspoken supporter of Sen. Barack Obama, is flat-out denying the report. “At the beginning of this presidential campaign when I decided that I was going to take my first public stance in support of a candidate, I made the decision not to use my show as a platform for any of the candidates,” Winfrey wrote in the statement. “I agree that Sarah Palin would be a fantastic interview, and I would love to have her on after the campaign is over.”

In addition to holding a fundraiser for Obama, the media mogul has appeared on the campaign trail for the Illinois senator and she attended the recent Democratic convention where Obama became the first African-American to be named the presidential nominee of a major political party. “It filled us with a sense of hope and possibility that, you know, I never even, sort of, been able tap into,” Winfrey said about the convention. “It was beyond anything I’d ever experienced. It really was. It was a transcendent moment.”

1. dollorbil

Of course she isn't going to put Palin on the show what purpose would that serve. It would not be helpful to her runnin' buddy Obama. The media needs to quit trying to create news and let life take it's course.

September 5, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  2. Tony Coveny

I would love to see her on Oprah. While Palin is captivating and, in all honesty, I would like her to be my mother, I have questions. An election is about ideas, and how those ideas can impact our lives on a daily basis. For example, McCain used the word “fight” in reference to trial lawyers, echoing Romney’s call for reducing damage awards at trail. I wonder if they even think about the billions of dollars in profits Merck made on Vioxx or auto and tire companies on defective tires. As with all “fights,” there are two sides. Over-curtailing tort awards allows corporations to make millions in profits on dangerous products with impunity. I am curious to hear what Palin, and for that matter, Obama, have to say about this issue.
    Anthony C. Coveny, Ph.D.

September 5, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  3. Jay

Oprah's show is entertainment, not news. She has no obligation whatsoever to devote equal time to both parties, and she has every right to openly favor one candidate. Deal with it.

September 5, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  4. NY4O

Why this distraction? McSame didn't present anything last night that told us how he's goin to solve the economic problems we"re facing. When Dick Cheney,Karl Rove, George Bush, Phil Graham, Donald Rumsfeld will have leading roles in McCain's administration what type of change can u expect from McSame.
    Maybe McCain is expecting to croak so they are tryin to make her appear to have the capacity and experience..lol. It funny that u hear from the repugnicans that she has foreign policy experience because Alaska is close to Russia..lol.
    It's clear that this election is going to fought on the secondary and tertiary issues like religion and guns rather than what is of prime importance...
    Surge this McCain.!..

September 5, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  5. Angie

Trust me, Palin's case for VP is weak. It's going to come down on her like a house of cards!

September 5, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  6. Mark

Her very statement is contradictory. "Since I decided to publicly endorse a candidate, I decided to not let anyone come on my show"? What baloney. She's had Obama on her show. This is playing bad – very bad.

Palin is the most talked-about woman in the world right now. The ratings would be huge, and what would Oprah's audience like more than a sit-down with this rising star? Oprahs' broadcasting her colors and alienating even more of her viewers.

September 5, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  7. Joe

law says you have to give candidates equal time. if she had O on her show, she has to have P.

September 5, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  8. joey from NC

It really doesn't matter how much publicity sarah palin gets. Republicans, you have had your moment in the sun for the past 8 years. Leaving the American people to rot in the shade. Obama is going to be our next president no matter who is opponent is. The american people are not stupid enough to vote in the same party that has had control of the white house for the past 8 years. Get over it, pick up the pieces and try again in 4 years.

September 5, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  9. Roger

I applaud Oprah for early on stating her preference in this race and not having any of them on until after the election. I am sure Governor Palin will make a great interview in December, when she is still Governor Palin!!

Obama/Biden 08

September 5, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  10. I used to be a Democrat

That is absolutely pathetic and a slap in the face to Oprah's audience and the women of America.

September 5, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  11. WEEKEND GIRL

GET OVER IT OPRAH CAN DO WHATEVER SHE WANTS IT'S HER SHOW........THERE ARE ALOT OF SHOWS THAT DON'T WANT MICHELLE OR OBAMA ON THEIR SHOW. SO DON'T GO THERE!!!! I'M A BLACK WOMAN AND I CAN TELL YOU ALOT ABOUT SOME "DOUBLE STANDARDS"

I DON'T SEE ANY BLACK AMERICANS HAVING AN HOUR SHOW ON FOX(RACISTS),MSNBC OR CNN................

I DON'T SEE AMERICA EMBRACING ALL THE OTHER 17-YEAR OLD UNWED GIRLS THAT ARE HAVING BABIES SO THERE GOES 2 OF YOUR SO CALLED "DOUBLE STANDARDS"

THINK NEXT TIME BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR RACISTS MOUTHS BECAUSE WE ARE NOT THE SAME BLACKS FROM THE 60'S.

OBAMA 08

September 5, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  12. Paula from Canada..

Thanks Oprah..Barack needs our support . I have not watched your show since you started all the New Age religion but I am glad the Republicans will not have a leg up with this woman. She is more suited to Jerry Springer anyway..
    It is YOUR show and you can have any darn person you choose on there.. personally I would rather you have Barack back .

September 5, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  13. Kevin-Seattle

I'm sure the 700 Club and Sean Hannity would love to have her on their show.

September 5, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  14. dg

If Gov. Palin wants to be interviewed by a news organization–and I'm not certain she does–I'm sure any of the networks or cable news outfits would make time for her. Any qualified candidate would want to be interviewed by a news reporter first, and then maybe by a talk show host.

If Gov. Palin is as ready as they say to be VP, then she should welcome an opportunity to speak to any legitimate news person who wants an interview.

Instead, Gov. Palin has remained out of sight with her handlers since her announcement nearly a week ago.

I suspect she is not nearly as qualified as they say, and she needs to be tutored at great lengths before she faces any tough questioning.

September 5, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  15. jason

this report may or may not be true, but i dont think that it is an issue people should be concerned with. you probably wont see obama on glenn beck anytime soon. oprah winfrey is a talk show host. furthermore, winfrey is a talk show host and dem. does she really need to give the republican nominee another platform? obama was on the show in the primaries, but she hasnt offered him another spot. if what you silly people are thinking about was true she would have obama on. that would really give you republican fascists something to talk about.

September 5, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  16. LSC

This has nothing to do with racism. I am so sick of people bringing up this issue. It seems like the people who do this must be racist themselves. Did you all forget, it's "The OPRAH Show"!! If OPRAH chooses to have Governor Palin on, she will. We don't hear Cindy McCain complaining, right? Stop sending smoke signals and think about the real issues here. We can't stand another extension of Bush!

OBAMA 08

September 5, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  17. Bruce

Wise to make it clear who you support. If Palin were to apear on your program she would try to spin it to look like you were now supporting her. KEEP THINGS CLEAR. KEEP UP THE SUPPORT of the one you kow to be your choice.

September 5, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  18. Danny

Oprah has lost credibility and she biased. She thought she could score more points for Obama especially from women but nothing happed. Palin has become a sensation to America. Vote Jon McCain/Sarah Palin.

September 5, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  19. Sue in MI

It doesn't matter because the RNC won't let her talk to ANYBODY who might actually ask a question they'd rather she not answer. One of the Republican handlers was on CNN this morning and when asked when she would be granting interviews, said that that question was Democratic mudslinging and that they would let Palin talk to real people on the trail. In other words: no interviews! There must be a lot more to hide than we already know about. This woman is going to cost McCain whatever small chance he had to be President.

September 5, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  20. Jack

Oprah's great. But how about getting Sarah Palin on Meet the Press?

September 5, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  21. RONNIE

Oprah can have Palin on crying over not winning in November.Would make a great show,Lord knows she needs one.

September 5, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  22. LaVon K Hummel

Why dose Oprah, have to answer any questions? Shouldn't it be Palin.?

September 5, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  23. Dan , TX

Why does John McCain want to tax you on the health insurance benefits that are provided by employers?

JOHN MCCAIN WANTS TO RAISE TAXES – NOT TAX RATE, JUST WHAT IS CONSIDERED INCOME. WELL – THAT MATTERS! That's a 25% tax increase for me. The republicans will raise taxes on workers, they just won't tell you about it. Guess employers will just have to raise wages to compensate for the increase in taxes.

September 5, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  24. Marcia, Chicago

We don't need Oprah---God-every Democrat is terrified of Sarah Palin and rightly so--and I love it-–

Sarah Palin 12 & 16'

September 5, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  25. Audrey

Oprah is only interested in promoting Obama. Palin would be an ideal guest for her show. Whether or not you agree with her politics, Palin's story is remarkable. Oprah is always advocating that we should encourage girls and tell them that they can grow up to be anything. Here, we have someone who was just a PTA mom and somehow she worked her way up to being mayor, Governor, and now a VP candidate.

September 5, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |