September 5th, 2008

Winfrey: Report about Palin 'categorically untrue'

Winfrey campaigned with Sen. Obama and his wife, Michelle, in New Hampshire late last year.

(CNN) – Talk show host Oprah Winfrey is denying a report of division within her staff over booking Republican vice presidential nominee Gov. Sarah Palin as a guest.

“The item in today’s Drudge Report is categorically untrue,” Winfrey wrote in a statement issued Friday. “There has been absolutely no discussion about having Sarah Palin on my show.”

Citing sources that had spoken to the news Web site, a story posted Friday morning on The Drudge Report said “Oprah's staff is sharply divided on the merits of booking Sarah Palin.” “One executive close to Winfrey is warning any Palin ban could ignite a dramatic backlash!,” the story also says.

But Winfrey, a longtime and outspoken supporter of Sen. Barack Obama, is flat-out denying the report. “At the beginning of this presidential campaign when I decided that I was going to take my first public stance in support of a candidate, I made the decision not to use my show as a platform for any of the candidates,” Winfrey wrote in the statement. “I agree that Sarah Palin would be a fantastic interview, and I would love to have her on after the campaign is over.”

In addition to holding a fundraiser for Obama, the media mogul has appeared on the campaign trail for the Illinois senator and she attended the recent Democratic convention where Obama became the first African-American to be named the presidential nominee of a major political party. “It filled us with a sense of hope and possibility that, you know, I never even, sort of, been able tap into,” Winfrey said about the convention. “It was beyond anything I’d ever experienced. It really was. It was a transcendent moment.”

1. Anonymous

Just another attempt by the right to inject race into the campaign and then say Obama is racist.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

September 5, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  2. Republican (voting dem this election)

If the Republicans can question Barack Obama's qualifications for POTUS and Commander in Chief, how is it possible they could turn around and nominate Palin for VP? Stunning!!!!

It has really been bothering me – the charges that Obama is all talk and no action. Those of us who support him and have reviewed his record know there is no basis to this charge, but just to make sure, I went to the Congressional Record (www.thomas.gov) and did a search for bills sponsored or co-sponsored by Senator Obama in his three short years in the US Senate. I searched the 109th and 110th Congresses which cover the years 2005-2007.

In a nut shell I found:
    Senator Obama has sponsored or co-sponsored 570 bills in the 109th and 110th Congress.
    Senator Obama has sponsored or co-sponsored 15 bills that have become LAW since he joined the Senate in 2005.
    Senator Obama has also introduced amendments to 50 bills, of which 16 were adopted by the Senate.
    His record is in fact quite impressive for a junior Senator from Illinois. Just go to senate.gov and see it for your self.

WHAT~~~~~HAS~~~~~SARAH PALIN~~~~~ACCOMPLISHED? (Enlighten me, would ya)

September 5, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  3. John

Republican just wanted to put Palin in every corner as they can, even use fake report.

September 5, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  4. Rick in Florida

It really doesn't matter. All voters have to do is stop for a minute and consider the phrase "President Sarah Palin". Her utter lack of ANY significant experience will make the voter run, not walk, to Obama!!

September 5, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  5. Al

Is Oprah even relevant any more?

September 5, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  6. Enlightened Voter

Oprah, you can have anyone on your show you want. Plus yours is a positive uplifting show and palin would not be a good fit.

September 5, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  7. Its also transcending for the "First Woman" to become President Oprah

To bad you endorsed publicly anyone. You have a lot of pull and you used your power for the first time ever. to solely endorse an African American candidate Sure you were proud, but women all over America were proud also to have a "woman" on the ticket. You should have stayed out of it.
    Deny all you want about Palin – but the truth will never be known. You would have her "after" the campaign is over – I think that says it all about you Oprah.
    Hillary supporter for McCain/Palin

September 5, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  8. Ann

The republicans know how to play dirty politics. They accuse the media of bias but use it in a way it helps them. I wish Oprah brings her and ask her some real questions where she can not read from a teleprompter. This gal is a joke. They brought her to take what Senator Barak Obama has accomplished for free. This is a lady who went to five colleges in six years to get her first degree. I wonder what her grades were? She is a woman but that does not really mean much unless she is qualified. If we choose her just because of her gender, then we will get what we deserve. I thought the American people have learned a sour lesson by electing the current president.

September 5, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  9. SLIMSISTA

WAY TO GO OPRAH!!!!!

September 5, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  10. Shirley-Ohio

This has nothing to do with anything. There are other shows for her to go on. Why are they messin with Oprah? Palin is a nobody. She won't even do any interviews. Some from the Republican side says she is warming up. If you are going to be a heart beat away from the presidency, you should already know everything there is to know. Palin was put in place to cause this controversies and if American's fall for it they have not learned anything and we will no get the correct people to change Washington. This is a bogus ticket and it is pathetic that people allow things like this to happen. I know politics are cutthroat, but we are talking about the American people, their families and children that must live in this world and as we can see having the wrong person run it can be disaterous.

September 5, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  11. Gary Chandler in Canada

Just imagine if Michelle Obama had been a certified member of a Separtist Party? Todd Palin WAS and, according to Bloggers, is not NOW a Republican! Imagine if MO was not a Democrat!?
    McCain can say he 'did not fall in love with the USA USA USA, until he was POW', with no MSM notice, but MO 'for the first time in my life...' comment had LEGS and LEGS.
    CNN you just want the race close for better RATINGS. The Buffalo Chip lack of coverage was another example of keeping the attention off a HUGE mistake in judgement.
    I am CONVINCED you choose news items based on keeping the polls close!
    Just get McCain BRAGGING about his bipartisan work with Kerry. WHY does he NOT mention that. Was it a cover up for both of them!?
    You might as well put Clemens and Bonds in charge of a senate committee on steroids.
    If he make Prez, he will have his POW documents shredded, but not Kerry's!

September 5, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  12. SP

Read my lipstick...SP

September 5, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  13. Flat Earthers for McCain

They revealed the McCain-Palin campaign aircraft today : a E190 from Embraer … a BRAZILIAN company. Country First huh??

September 5, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  14. fella from Chicago

Sorry Sarah, you're the wrong color.

15. PA Independent

Say what you like about Oprah (and I'm sure a lot of people will), but keeping her personal endorsement and her TV show separate is a very professional move.

16. jesse

At least with Palin as a guest it would be a show worth watching.

17. Donna Boelk

Could Oprah be showing discrimination by not having Palin on her show?

18. AV

the Republicans are trowing the kitchen sink in, wonder what's next?

19. Sexism in a Bag

Oprah cmon? Your a bigger person than this... please go beyond skin color.

20. Chi4Obama

I don't think Sarah Palin has the enough "Executive experience" to govern my neighborhood block club.

I think it's totally ridiculous that she is just one rigged election, and a heartbeat away from running this great Country.

21. Karen

Yes – I think Oprah is showing biased favoritism. She is using her celebrity status to promote Obama and has talked about him on her show, goes out and campaigns for him and I think she does not want to have Sarah Palin on her show because she does not want to do anything that could hurt Obama's campaign opposed to having individuals on her show that the American public is interested in. It is manipulation, bias and favoritism.

22. Doubts

I think Oprah has people on her show that are big phony's just like her. Her prejudice shows through her phony smile. She may be one of the richest women on this planet but you know what? A camel can get throught the eye or a needle quicker than a rich man can get to heaven. This is in the Bible. Facts.

23. Prof.LarGo

Doesn't the law state that having sex with a minor is illegal? Shouldn't those who do engage in sex with minors be punished?

24. Flo

So what if Oprah refused her.

25. Hillary Supporters for McCain

I totally believe Oprah. She has no intention of having Sarah Palin on her show.

Oprah needs to change her theme from "I'm every woman" to "I'm every black woman".

Oprah and the Democrats are an utter disappointment.

2008 will be remembered as the year the Democratic Party turned their backs on women for an in-experience, empty suit.

Was for Hill, now for McCain!

Guess what, experience matters.

1 2 3