September 6th, 2008

Florida Republican group to boycott Oprah

Oprah Winfrey campaigned for Obama in February.
Oprah Winfrey campaigned for Obama in February.

(CNN)-The Florida Federation of Republican Women made the decision to boycott the Oprah Winfrey Show Saturday, after the media mogul refused to have Gov. Sarah Palin as a guest on her show until after the election wraps up.

"Women in Florida helped build Oprah into the icon she is today," Linda Ivell, President of the FFRW said in a statement. "We are deeply disappointed in Ms. Winfrey's decision to sit out the greatest political moment in the history of women since suffrage."

The talk show host denied accusations Friday, that she was even considering the vice presidential nominee as a guest.

"At the beginning of this presidential campaign when I decided that I was going to take my first public stance in support of a candidate, I made the decision not to use my show as a plat for any of the candidates," Winfrey wrote in a statement, responding to a story from The Drudge report claiming her staff was "sharply divided" on whether they should book the Alaska Governor.

Winfrey agreed Palin would be a "fantastic interview," but wouldn't invite her on until after the November elections.

The Florida Federation of Republican Women, the "largest political organization in Florida," celebrating the groups 58 year anniversary is also encouraging members to cancel subscriptions to O Magazine, Ivell said.

"We find it to be an abuse of her power -gained on the backs of our patronage of her advertising empire – to use her program to so blatantly support Obama in the face of this historic moment. So, we are tuning out and canceling our subscriptions to O Magazine and encourage other women to do the same," Ms Ivell said.

Winfrey came under fire from some of her supporters in December after campaigning with the Democratic nominee in South Carolina.

Ivell did not say the Florida Republicans would be tuning out indefinitely, but at least until 'after the election.' Adding, she and her members respect the decision to support Obama, "as every American is entitled to their personal opinion and vote."

Filed under: Oprah Winfrey • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. laura

well this is too bad for the florida republican women. when will people stop taking themselves so seriously?

September 6, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  2. Maggie VT

Sorry to say but I would invite her either. Go google Sarah Palin and see what she calls HRC and then tell me you would invite her too.

September 6, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  3. FreeNLovIt

The only reason why Oprah helped Obama was because Obama was HAVING major problems ATTRACTING crowds. So she helped me but I truly believe that she wanted to distance herself from politic.

Oprah does not have to have Beauty Kween/Reporter-Shy Media-But Ready For Prez on her show.

Why? Palin does NOT have problems attracting crowds. Palin has not YET changed America. Oprah does not have to put her on her show.

Go ahead and boycott Oprah!

September 6, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  4. Daniel

Since suffrage?

Do Republicans realize that the Democrats nominated a woman VP several decades ago?

September 6, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  5. Michael

Wasn't the McCain campaign hiding Palin from the press? Why do they even care then?

September 6, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  6. GIGI IN LA

D I T T O--T O --T H A T--–

M S--W I N F R E Y--H A S--–E N T E R E D--T H E--–

P O L I T I C A L---A R E N A-–W I T H--C H I C A G O---–

S T Y L E--P O L I T I C S--L I K E--M R.-–O B A M A ' S-–

S H E ' S--P A S S E D---O N ---D O I N G --- T H E--–

R I G H T-–T H I N G---F O R --–W O M E N

September 6, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  7. FreeNLovIt

I never watch her show anyway and I live in IL.

September 6, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  8. Gia in Los Angeles

Oh, come on!! Since she endorsed Obama and made public appearances for him, her show has been completely neutral to politics and is not being used to highlight ANY candidate. It is only appropriate for her to wait until after the election to have ANY of the candidates on her show. THAT'S integrity!

September 6, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  9. Chicagoan

Come on Oprah, show everyone who has the biggest pair in this country. Bring her on.

Clinon/Winfrey 2012

September 6, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  10. BROOKLYN

She should have NEVER divided her viewers... Huge mistake that will come back to haunt her!!!

September 6, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  11. DrMan

I love how the libs are trying anything to spin how their Obamessiah can't seem to keep a substantive lead. Face it, all you lefties thought this was going to be a cake-walk. All you though you needed to do was squawk that McCain was just another Bush. But as openminded thinkers, unlike yourselves, have listened to what McCain and Palin are saying they are finding that change does not necessarily just mean switching to a different party.

September 6, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  12. Theresa A Carr

It amazes me how the Republicans have a Sarah Palin, who has been a governor for less than 2 years and by the way CAN NOT GO OUT BY HERSELF to CAMPAIGN because she has used her power in office and have told so many LIES can even call themselves boycotting Oprah, go ahead, she does care because OBAMA is going to WIN!!!

September 6, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  13. Lou from CT

The Florida Republicans need to get over it and find a more important thing to get upset about. Ms. Winfrey can choose who she wants on her show. She made the decision to support Mr. Obama and therefore made a pledge not to have ANYONE political on her show as a pledge of neutrality.

September 6, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  14. Jen in PA

Seriously, I agree with the comments above about Ferraro. Maybe they SHOULD watch less tv, and read more.

How is this helping the economy/war on terror/energy/the environment again?

September 6, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  15. onaje

Last I checked Oprah was worth a Billion. Does it really matter?

September 6, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  16. Jenny from Chicago

I'm sure they're boycott won't impact the bottom line in the slightest.

And really, who cares about Oprah?

September 6, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  17. FreeNLovIt

Obama has to beg Oprah. I dont see Palin begging Oprah.

September 6, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  18. Bob

Republican Ladies of Florida grow up!!

September 6, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  19. Jared

...Wow, the Republicans find more ways to take a dump on Hillary Clinton's achievements this year.

September 6, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  20. Danny

What"s wrong with these people. Most if not all them wiho support McCain will not receive a tax dreease. With Obama they will. What are they thinking?

September 6, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  21. Troy

I guess Oprah is sexist right Repubs.

September 6, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  22. Breck

So because Oprah won't use the show as a platform for Republican propaganda the Republicans boycott it? Sickening.

September 6, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  23. Alexander

Oprah isn't having any of the candidates, Pres or VP, on her show...this isn't news. Oprah is not a political issue. Television appearances isn't a political issue. How much longer are we going to be distracted by meaningless empty performances?

September 6, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  24. Bob

Republicans would be complaining if Oprah had Palin on her show. Seems like Oprah can't win here. And all of this is because Drudge made a story up.

September 6, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  25. DR

Are the FFRW just stupid or they just can't read. Oprah stated that she wasn't have either of the candidates on her show including Obama/Biden. McPalin don't have any issues to based their campaign on so they make this stuff up as they go. They're trying to divide this country. I wonder though, out that 84,000 jobs that was lost last month how many of those were republican women? I'm serious you guys don't want to go around with Oprah and company.

September 6, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |