September 7th, 2008

Obama, Bill Clinton to sit down for a private lunch

The Clintons and Sen. Obama sat next to one another last week at the funeral of an Ohio Congresswoman.

(CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama and former president Bill Clinton will share a private lunch together on Thursday, September 11, CNN has confirmed.

Clinton issued the invite to Obama after learning he would be in Manhattan for a joint appearance with Sen. John McCain on the anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, according to Clinton Foundation spokesman Matt McKenna.

The luncheon is another sign that the Clinton and Obama camps are moving forward in the spirit of unity. Major steps toward healing the party came during the Democratic National Convention where Bill Clinton and Sen. Hillary Clinton, individually addressed convention-goers, appealing to them to support Obama come November. Sen. Clinton made the motion for Obama to be formally nominated as the Democratic presidential nominee.

Hillary Clinton is set to campaign for Obama in Florida Monday, and the former president has said he will campaign on Obama’s behalf but does not have any campaign events scheduled yet.

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Candidate Barack Obama • Extra • Popular Posts
  1. ROCKY

BY THE WAY

The definition of BIPARTISANSHIP: agreeing with the democrats on every issue.

The definition of ANTI-BIPARTISANSHIP: "NOT" agreeing with th democrats on every issue

September 7, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  2. Tony

Sarah Palin Affair. Please report on this.

September 7, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  3. the great uniter

The way Obama spoke about Bill, painted him as a racist, totally disrespected the ONLY 2 term democrat president in a very long time,
    he'd better have a taster handy at that lunch. obama has divided the party with his power surge. I have always voted a straight dedmocratic ticket but I cannot vote for the likes of obama. Obama is another bush- from the extreme left.
    no boma no way no how

September 7, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  4. Nate

Nice to see the team of change working together. Oh, give it a few more days until Palin's 15 mins of fame is over.

September 7, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  5. Lone Star Wolf

Bill if you enter into any form of unity with this snake then I will have no more use for you or Hillary. I will regret any form of support that I gave her throughout her campaign. This rat and his supporterS called you and her every name in the book. They have no respect for you. What motive could you have to support this man. He is unfit for President of the United States and will lead us on a path of destruction. I can not understand any unity between the two of you. PLEASE EXPLAIN.

September 7, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  6. miami hurricane

The people that say that Sarah Palin is no Hillary Clinton and that
    they are as different as night and day are 100% correct. Sarah Palin is governor of a God forsaken state and she was the mayor of a two bit town, but she made it on her own she is a self-made woman. Hillary on the other hand is a Bill Clinton made woman, if it wasn't for Bill there wouldn't be a 12 million dollar book deal, senate seat, or run for the presidency. She would still be back in Arkansas trying to figure out how to make cookies. So you are right Sarah is no Hillary.

September 7, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  7. LINSKY AVILES

When you get the chance to interview Obama again, please ask him how is it that he can claim to be free of control by special interests yet he has so strongly supported the unions, to the point where there is a belief he has promised to promote THE FREE CHOICE ACT, which basically amounts to giving up working people's right to choose whether to join the union. Who is he to give our rights away in the interest of union support for his candidacy, and how is that not playing into the hands of special interests/

September 7, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  8. Obama fever is - i mean WAS-all the rage now

Democrats had the best Candidate out there- Hillary.

For some reason I can not fathom the left turned bigoted, biased, sexist, derisive of fellow democrats this year.

You gutted our best hope and forced your would-be messiah on us.

DID NOT WORK.

Love you Bill.
    Love Hillary and she is the only democrat that I will ever vote for until the DNC takes back this party and bans corruption.

September 7, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  9. American East

What part of that comment needs moderation?

September 7, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  10. Rhia

He needs all the support he can get. Hillary Clinton and women Democrats should give Sara Palin her own dose of medicine.

September 7, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  11. D Maguire

I agree with you Mike... CNN is particularly biased towards the Obama campaign. Is it me, or did anyone else notice that it took nearly a week for information about Obama sliding in the polls to appear. If my post appears... it will be the first of many.

September 7, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  12. patty bray

Hillary and Bill HAVE TO HELP! Hillary needs to take down Sara Palin. Bill needs to take down McCain. There will be no US left in 4 years. Russia will see to that. Please, please help. I would switch places if I could, with Joe Biden, if I were Hillary!!!!

September 7, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  13. Clifton Davis

I just wanted to know, when these polls come out, who is being polled? I don't know anyone who has ever beened polled. Just wanted to know.

September 7, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  14. That's Reality

McCain and Palin will win because they are the ones who can accomplish the "change" that Obama speaks of. It won't be the same "change" Obama had in mind; it will be far better.

September 7, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  15. americanadian

Clinton supporters considering voting for McCain have clear issues. How could you have campaigned so, so, so, so hard for all she believes in and has fought for to give your vote to the opposite?

I will never get it. Yes, there were problems in the primaries. There were a lot of tensions. However, politics is not always about getting exactly what we want. It is about doing the best we possibly can to create the best change possible.

I am 100% certain that if Barack Obama is elected, Senator Clinton will be in his administration.

September 7, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  16. bj,texas

No way, no how, no nObama!

September 7, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  17. Richard

Good!!! Obama needs some advice from the pros. McCain has found a way to avoid the issues. I hope the American public will not be stupid enough to vote for 4 more years before we get it right. The Republicans aren't looking out for our best interest, only for themselves.

NO MCCAIN.................NO PALIN

September 7, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  18. Jean

Already Healed you are an idiot.

September 7, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  19. New McCainocrats for equality and fair campaigns

Palin is the much thirsted for anti-serum for the Obama poisoning we have been forced to drink.

September 7, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  20. Debbie Ramirez

I watched the McCain revealed tonight on CNN and saw some more true CHARACTER revelations I wasn't aware of regarding the great Mr. McCain. I also have seen on the blogs that Palin's voice is finally starting to annoy everyone like it did me (thought I was the only one for a while). She has agreed to finally appear for a television interview (with Charles Gibson of all people). They wouldn't let her talk until they prepped her all this time. She has to know ahead of the interview the questions- can she do anything upfront and on her own. So far EVERYTHING HAS BEEN SCRIPTED for her. She's just like a puppet. I cannot understand the big Bounce she's giving anything. By the way, I'm so sick of the emphasis the polls have placed on them. Are you all aware that there are just 600 here 1200 there maybe 1000 here that are polled of registered voters. NOT NEWLY REGISTERED VOTERS, prior voters. This means if you have a cell phone, your not called. Also, how in the world can you give so much credence to a handful of people as to how the NATION feels. I am a middle aged Kansas woman and I personally think Palin is an arrogant, sarcastic narcasist. I'm still looking for all these positive blog spots. I keep surfing and there's not all that much positive about her, so where they keep getting all this great input from is beyond me. Talk about Obama loving himself, give me a break - she can't get enough of herself. Really wish they'd give her something new to say too, her speech is getting OLD<OLD<OLD. Oh Yeah, what has CHENEY done in the last 8 years everyone. She's not the important one here. Think about it. She's not going to do anything as long as McCain is still walking around.

September 7, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  21. bj,texas

One clown talking to another clown. What could they possibly be discussing? The circus that is the lib party.

September 7, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  22. Debi

I am appalled at what Barack and his "innocent" staff has done now. In response to the Republicans mocking his "Community Organizer" skills, they have now decided to strike back by putting out a t-shirt claiming Pontius Pilot was a governor (hmmm wonder who they are talking about) and insuinating that Barack is equal to Jesus Christ!!! This is really scary! How dare he even go that route, talk about a cheap shot. And this man is a Christian!!! Hmmmm!!!
    I don't consider myself a Republican or a Democrat but have always looked at people that i feel would serve best but I can tell you, this has definitely made me not want to be a Democrat! Wake up people and wonder why this Man would compare himself to Jesus! Makes you wonder about the anti-Christ that will appear and have many followers!

September 7, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  23. mary

Is it likely that someone who "represents" the moral majority who has obviously not been succesful her parenting responsiblities to the point that her underaged (17) daughter has been so loosely supervised and taught that she engaged in premarital, unprotected sex and is carrying and out of wedlock child by a boy (18) who says HE DOES NOT WANT TO BE A FATHER likely to be an appropriate candidate to be a heart beat from running this country? Oh, did I mention that she also has a special needs infant and rebellions teen aged son who went off to be a problem for the US Military? The American people deserve better. Let's get on to the true issues and the "platforms" of both parties' candidtate. Let's talk health care, economy, the war and the escalating decline of the American dream.

September 7, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  24. laurie

Mike, get over yourself. I have seen plenty of nasty stuff about Obama in this blog written by people like yourself. If you kept track, you might just see that.... I think the Republicans definitely have the edge on handing out nasty comments....just llisten to your lady Palin.....now look who I am calling a lady. Sorry.

September 7, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  25. Tired of Politicians

I'm so tired of politicians and their gross waste of money. Luncheon? You've got a major portion of the south United States in dire straits due to storms and you are concerned about a luncheon?

Heads up Politicians! Someone wanting to garner votes, get yourself down here, roll up your sleaves, sweat, help out and you might just go forward a lot faster than sitting in on a 'luncheon' in a 'safe' zone.

I guarantee you that Gov. Bobby Jindal has solidified his standing as an extraordinary politician in his handling of Hurricane Gustav in the state of Louisiana. Yes, there is a lot more to Louisiana than the one little space of New Orleans which was not impacted much by Gustav... the rest of the state was.

Same as New York City is just a small portion of the entire state of New York. Regardless, get off spending millions on an election of possibly unqualifed people and take care of United States Citizens.

September 7, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |