September 7th, 2008

Obama, Bill Clinton to sit down for a private lunch

The Clintons and Sen. Obama sat next to one another last week at the funeral of an Ohio Congresswoman.

(CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama and former president Bill Clinton will share a private lunch together on Thursday, September 11, CNN has confirmed.

Clinton issued the invite to Obama after learning he would be in Manhattan for a joint appearance with Sen. John McCain on the anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, according to Clinton Foundation spokesman Matt McKenna.

The luncheon is another sign that the Clinton and Obama camps are moving forward in the spirit of unity. Major steps toward healing the party came during the Democratic National Convention where Bill Clinton and Sen. Hillary Clinton, individually addressed convention-goers, appealing to them to support Obama come November. Sen. Clinton made the motion for Obama to be formally nominated as the Democratic presidential nominee.

Hillary Clinton is set to campaign for Obama in Florida Monday, and the former president has said he will campaign on Obama’s behalf but does not have any campaign events scheduled yet.

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Candidate Barack Obama • Extra • Popular Posts
  1. Tom in Delaware

Maybe they talked about dumping Joe "The Scruffy kid from Scranton" and replacing him with Hillary since they have no way of countering Sarah Palin.

"Do not ask for Whom the Bell Tolls...it tolls for thee."

September 7, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  2. Hillary 2012

It's too late for Obama to be addressing the Clintons! Obama thought he could be president without her on the ticket – shame on him for being so selfish – and losing 18 million of her supporters. Good on McCain for having the insight and confidence to select a female VP.
    McCain is truly the change agent.

September 7, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  3. woman over 60!!!

mccain will lose so bad in this election it will hurt!!!!

September 7, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  4. Cathy

Thank you to the Clintons!

September 7, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  5. MK

Mike, take the caps lock off or you risk sounding like an angry loser.

September 7, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  6. betty

My mother was born in 1905, I was born in 1940. At the age of 12 (1952) my mother sat me down and told me that she hoped I would live up to the standards she and my father had set. However, she also said that she could not be with me 24 hours a day and that there may be a time when my emotions would override my commen sense. She said there is a drug store on every corner. Never bring a child into this world until you can spend the rest of your life raising and loving it, and more importantly make sure you protect yourself from disease. Quite a statement from someone born some 60 years before ERA and NOW, I was very fortunate that my parents put braces on my teeth, not on my brains. Sarag Palin would seem to be a throw back to the dark ages – never mind about her daughter's pregnancy, what about her health? I was not an Obama supporter, but I sure will vote for him now.

September 7, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  7. Rob, Miami

This doesn't mean anything. We all know that the Clinton's are doing this to look good in the party's eyes....We all know that Hillary want's Obama to loose so she can run again in 2012. The Dem's are now dreaming they had Hillary as their candidate!

September 7, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  8. James in Glendale

It's not Obama that's so obnoxious, it's ObamaNation . . . better eat some crow quick or it's over.

September 7, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  9. Shane

I still think it was a bad decision for Obama to go with Biden over Clinton...especially not that McCain has gone with the anti-christ...I mean Palin. Sorry about that. Anyway...Hopefully Obama will get smart real quick and appoint Hillary to something fast...'cuz if he doesn't...I'm afraid McCain and the anti-...I mean Palin will get in. Just my thoughts!!!

September 7, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  10. colleen

Bill, thank you...i thnk that you can impart much of your wisdom to Obama, and, Obama is such an intelligent person he would be more than wiling to accept and respect any advise and stategies you could throw his way. Obama is a man that respects and listens to all good people around him. So, between you and Hillary, and all the other extremely smart people, he shoudl win a landslide. NO HOW, NO WAY ..NO MCCAIN

September 7, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  11. Ruth De Paris

Look Up Americans and pull yourselves out of the gutter where the GOP Party has dumped us for the last 8 years in Office!! Let,s get alone without them and put the DNC in the Oval Office and kick them to the curb!!! They are stealing Obama,s ideals of Change... because they have none of their own!!!! Americans are not stupid and most of us can know a Phoney when we see and hear one!!!!! only a Change We Can Believe In Will Do this Time!!!!!!! OBAMA // BIDEN 08

September 7, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  12. Get Real

democrats unite

September 7, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  13. Mr. Johnson to you

If Obama looses, Hillary will too! She will need the Black vote to win, and we won't support her!

September 7, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  14. JMN

I have great respect for the Clintons, and I'm quite sure Obama does too. For electability reasons, I wish he had chosen Hillary for his VP–this would have saved us from the Palin nonsense. But I actually believe that there are better ways for Hillary Clinton to use her skills in an Obama administration, and I also think that if Obama is elected Hillary will be president someday–and at that point the Clinton "baggage" (which made some people nervous this time around) will no longer exist.

I truly fear, however, that Hillary's supporters will get McCain elected; the irony will be that this could easily guarantee that Palin, not Clinton, becomes our first woman president. What a cruel thing Hillary Clinton's supporters will have done to the woman they admire!

September 7, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  15. Grumpy McNasty for POTUS?

All You Hillary supporters that still believe she was "robbed" and are voting for McCain/Palin...

Go ahead, cut off your nose to spite your face. That'll teach 'em!

You'll really regret your decision when you start seeing what this pair and their fanatic band of blind followers really think of women if they win.

September 7, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  16. STEVEN

This is a good move for Obama.

He needs to energize the base even more than he has.

Regarding the recent National polls showing a bounce for McCain, remember that these are weekend polls. Weekend polls tend to favor Republicans because many of the younger Democratic counterparts are not home during the weekend to be polled.

This is an especially germane point for THIS campaign season because more young people have registered to vote than in prior elections.

September 7, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  17. kofi , Toronto

Obama needs the Clintons to go all out . If I'm him , I'd dispatch the Clintons to Inidiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Florida, Michigan and Texas. All egos need to be checked at the door

September 7, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  18. Marie in California

I have no use for Democratic party "unity" no matter who's talking the baloney. I gave up on all of them May 31st when the DNC Rules Committee arbitrarily handed the nomination to Obama, their annointed one, after which I switched my party affiliation to Republican. I am done with the Democrats. They are not to be trusted.

Now the only "unity" I care to see is the unity of the McCain-Palin ticket.

Maverick-Barracuda – 2008! The TRUE ticket for change!

September 7, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  19. Maggie

I totally t hink and have thought all along that Obama had a cabinet position ready for Hilary.
    I also think that both Obama and McCain should stay away from ground zero on 9/11. This race has been made to ugly by the Republican convention and the nonstop vitriol spouted by Giuliani, Palin, Romney, and most of all "I have bene on the campaign trail 6 days and know it all" Palin. It will be a sham for them to be at this tragic place together.

September 7, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  20. Indiana Voter

To the Hillary supporters: Obama has extended the olive branch several times to the Clintons so please give him credit where credit is due. However, I do agree that Hillary should have a major position in his administration as we the country will need all talented people working together for the good of the country. Hillary has a lot to offer and I think she will lead a major change in the US.

September 7, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  21. Mike, Syracuse NY

Ohioan, you're right; the difference between Hillary and Palin is night and day. Palin climbed up to be governor on her own merits. Hillary got where she is because of who she married. There is no way should would have been elected Senator if she didn't have the Clinton last name.

September 7, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  22. TruthFighter

Courage to be honest
    Hard Work
    Accountable to the American People
    New ideas to grow the economy
    Genuiness in building working partnerships
    Energy Independence

Obama / Biden 08'

September 7, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  23. mike

vote obama-biden 2008!!!!!!!!!

September 7, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  24. Holly

Obama has stated that HRC will fill an important role in his administration. I was thinking initially health care too but she's be a superb secretary of state as well. I think it's going to be her call. And I think both she and BC will be discussing this w/Obama.

Mike – I really don't think she'll be around to run in 2102. ;)

September 7, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  25. lewis walburn

the Clintons have been crooks all their lives ,and their friends died suspously ,and now they are sleeping with a know muslim

September 7, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |