September 8th, 2008

Biden jokes about Palin's sharpshooting

Biden Joked about Palin's sharpshooting Monday.
Biden Joked about Palin's sharpshooting Monday.

KALISPELL, Montana (CNN) – Joe Biden joked Sunday that GOP nominee Sarah Palin should be held to the same standard as other candidates for the White House—except in one area where she’s clearly got the edge. “It's not whether Sarah Palin can aim an assault rifle and hit dead target - which she probably can, and I hope it's not me,” he joked at a campaign event in Montana.

Palin’s speech to the Republican National Convention was peppered with references to her rural Alaskan upbringing, including time spent fishing and snowmobiling.

But Biden said she needed to talk more about issues. At a media availability, Biden cited Palin’s noticeable absence from the Sunday morning talk shows earlier that day. Biden, Barack Obama and John McCain all gave sit-down interviews.

Biden said Palin should do the same.

“Somewhere along the line…she will start to stand before the nation and the public and you know, determine whether or not her views, her breadth of knowledge, her record, is one that people say ‘yeah I want that person as vice president, a heartbeat away from being president,’” Biden said.

He also disagreed with pundits who say he’ll have to approach with caution the upcoming vice presidential debate, saying “they’re in a time warp.” Biden and Palin will meet on October 2 at Washington University in St. Louis.

“It seems like the only people in the room that think that debating a woman is going to be fundamentally different are people who don’t hang around with smart women,” Biden said. “I mean, you know, the idea that I’ve not debated tough, smart women. Come to the Senate man. Take on Barbara Mikulski. Take on Olympia Snowe. You know, take on Dianne Feinstein. Take on Barbara Boxer. Take on you know, the list goes on.”

Filed under: Joe Biden
  1. Silence Dogood

Now that ZerObama is down in the polls – watch for Obama and surrogates turn from negative to downright nasty.

September 8, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  2. john jenkins

She's gonna shoot someone in the face with her rifle like Dick Cheney did... and get away with it. Do you guys remember?

September 8, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  3. ohio

The Democrats better realize that thhe only way to bet this pitbull is to fight back,,,, Come on barack and biden ,,, I am a women and you will be discriminating if you diont fight her like yo will everyone else... FIGHT BACK!!!!

September 8, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  4. proud army and navy mom

Joe biden needs to do his job and call Palin's credentials into question.

She's being investigated for abuse of power, there is serious questions about her honesty. Stop waiting for the media to do your job, Obama/Biden. Be tough, the pitbull with lipstick can take it.

September 8, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  5. Frank

Joe Biden is in up to his neck with his Lobbyist son! You can see that he is only throwing very weak jabs at Palin because he knows she can knock him for a loop! Sad to see Obama failed miserably with his first real test of leadership with his choice of Biden. You simply cannot trust Obama to make the tough decisions for our Country! You cannot vote 'Present' and sidestep the tough issues as President. Sorry Obama, but you have alot more to learn about being an effective politician before you have visions of grandeur.

September 8, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  6. RealityKing

Since when do this 36 yr senate liberal take on fellow liberals Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer!? Blowharded Doofus!!

September 8, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  7. Mac

Can anyone in their wildest dreams imaginge President Palin running this country at a time of war? Obviously if that happens John McCain would not be there to guide her so who would? Joe Biden?

September 8, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  8. sammieb51

Joe should be more understanding about her REMARKABLE absense from the national press - she has all those kids to take care of, husband to feed, house to clean, kids to raise (good luck there dear), and last and certainly not least, she had to go to church on Sunday morning and encourage her church to pray for the media. Can't wait for their debate, he should hold the "pit bull with lipstick" to task and not cut her any slack at all.

September 8, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  9. John in Ohio

I'm an expert shot with an M-16, can I be VP now?

I'm the oldest of five kids, I've been deployed to Iraq, I'm a great shot, heck, I'm qualified to be a Republican's running mate.

September 8, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  10. therealist

Joe Biden for VP seems like a really bad decision now.. And it was only Obama's first!

September 8, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  11. Belle2

Okay, I agree that Palin is not qualified to be VP. The problem is that neither is Obama. If they were both running for VP, deciding which one gets my vote would be a problem. Since Obama is running for President and Palin for VP, the choice is clear-we need a President who is fully qualified. At least there is a chance that Palin will have time to gain the necessary experience before she is plunged into the dark territory that is the job of the President.

September 8, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  12. s

Those who are considering voting for McCain/Palin are obviously unshaken by our economy. Stop looking at the people and look at their policies, this is not a popularity contest, it is about the future of America. Did anyone watch the business report on CNN this morning, our economy is in the toilet, and McCain and Palin could care less. Wake up people!

September 8, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  13. L.A.

The GOP can't shield Palin forever. Biden's right. She should be subjected to the same scrutiny and ridicule as every other candidate. I'm a woman and I'm offended that these people think they can just get away with treating her differently because she's s female.

I agree with Barack Obama when he says family is off limits. They should be. But Sarah Palin is just as much a spotlight politician as the rest of the boys and she should be treated as such. If she wants to show her fangs then she needs to be prepared to get bitten too.

What kind of "bulldog" can't hold their own in a fight?

September 8, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  14. Tainopwer

Yes talk about the issues that’s all Hussein (obama) and Doofus (Biden) are talking about. but don’t offer any solutions We need specifics solutions from Hussein and Doofus not just talk.

September 8, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  15. RealityKing

Democrats compromise on oil drilling

Ole Joe is already eating those words...

September 8, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  16. Willy Brown

Joe Biden is Dick Cheney for Obama.

September 8, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  17. Joe in CT

Good golly it's all getting pathetic. I think the reason Biden and Obama are casting praise is because they are trying to keep this about the issues and not personal attacks on individuals. Heaven forbid we make politics about issues and not about ripping your opponent with puns and jabs. And she shouldn't use the Pit Bull joke. Why would anyone fashion themselves as an animal with a bad reputation of biting their owners or mauling children? Hopefully the debates come down to the issues, which I'm interested in, and not who can insult the other person better.

September 8, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  18. RJ, CA

For the very first time in a very long time I am NOT afraid for my country - with McCain and Palin at the helm !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I love PIT BULL women - we get things done - always have, always will!

And I LOVE men who love us - REAL men!

September 8, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  19. sharon walker

DEAR FRIENDS:
    BIDEN HIT PALIN WHERE IT HURTS THE MOST WITH A HOCKEY PUCK! ANY SHARP SHOOTERS OUT THERE TARKET PRACTICE CUBA AND RUSSIA AND VENEZUELA!

SHE AINT A GOOD SHOT STANDING UP OR ON THE FLOOR.
    HEAR ME MARKETS. SHE IS HOLLOW AND DUMB OR DUMBER OR THE DUMBEST. STOCKS FLYING DOWN! SELL SELL SELL THE ASIAN MARKET. MEXICO CAN MAKE EARTH QUAKES! ALL THE WAY UP TO THE ASIAS AND HAVE. THEY'RE COMING !
    OVER THE BORDER!

ARE WE VOTING FOR PALINS BRAT OR HER STATUTORY RAPED ONE! PEW!

September 8, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  20. elm

There is an old saying....You can put lipstick on a pig and you still have a pig. Well I guess that also means you can put lipstick on a pit bull and what do you have left.... a female dog....*itch.

September 8, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  21. JOfromATLforObamaBiden

SHE HAD A BLAST AT THE CONVENTION INSULTIN BORACK..IF THIS WAS THE OTHER WAY AROUND EVERY REPUBLICAN SPECIALLY THOSE WITH VAGINAS WILL COME OUT SAYING THAT ALL THAT WAS SEXIST AND THAT THE DEMOCRATS ARE ONLY OUT TO GET HER.

SHE WAS JUST USED TO SAY ALL THAT AS A PUPPET..CAN'T WAIT FOR BIDEN TO CHEW HER UP AND SPIT HER LIKE A GUM. SHE IS ANNOYING ME WITH THE LIPS.

I WANT TO SEE WHERE SHE STANDS ON THE ISSUED..SOMETHING SHE IS OBVIOUSLY BEING TRAINED TO DO BY THE REPUBLICAN PARTY...IF SHE IS A MAVERICK SHE SHOULD BE READY TO HANDLE IT..WHY TRAIN HER.

September 8, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  22. elm

No way for Taliban Palin.

September 8, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  23. pantherrock

The selection and discussion of Sarah Palin as a seriously qualified Vice-Presidential candidate surely represents the Republicans "Dumbing Down of America."

September 8, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  24. ArtNYC

I like how he called himself a "dead target". Way to go Biden!

September 8, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  25. MARY

She's gone from govenor of Alaska to celebrity. I was at the grocery store this weekend and all I saw was magazines with Sarah Palin on the cover. Boy, sometbody is getting RICH and it's not me. Is she donating all the money to charity. After all, she did sell the plane on e-bay.

I want to see her interviewed by Bill O'Reilly. Charlie Gibson is a wimp. He will interview her and the questions have probably been submitted by John Mccain. So, she a mom, I'm a mom. She's fishes, I fish, She drives kids to school, I do that. She is govenor of Alaska. I govern my house and budget. She's a hockey mom. I'm a football mom. SO WHAT? I guess I'm qualified to be V.P.

Really, who is this woman; besides your everyday average mom? IS SHE QUALIFIED TO POSSIBLY ONE DAY HAVE TO PROTECT OUR COUNTRY. We really do not know who Sarah Palin is. She is a rookie politician.

September 8, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |