September 8th, 2008

Biden: Palin seems to have ‘extreme views’

Joe Biden said 'Palin has some very extreme views.'
Joe Biden said 'Palin has some very extreme views.'

GREEN BAY, Wisconsin (CNN) – Joe Biden said Monday that vice presidential opponent Sarah Palin seems to have "some very extreme views."

Speaking to a union crowd in Wisconsin, Biden also said he hasn't heard enough specifics from the Alaska governor, and that he's hoping to learn more about her positions before the two debate October 2.

"Hopefully by the time the debate takes place, we’ll have a better sense of her other than some of what she says and what appear to be some very extreme views," Biden said.

Watch: Palin hits the campaign trail

"I’m assuming that she shares John McCain’s views on most of the issues. And she even says, if the press is correct - and I’m not ready, prepared to make a judgment [on this] - her views on everything from global warming to other things, if they are as presented, they’re pretty far out there."

Filed under: Joe Biden • Sarah Palin
  1. Extreme

You know those Catholics, all rage and hatred... who was that one Catholic? Oh yeah, John F. Kennedy. Yes, he was a bad one!

I could care less about the personal faith of a candidate; I do want to hear from a candidate that religion is a personal thing and not to be involved with politics.

We are not the ones starting the wars; we are finishing them. To sit back and let the extremists usher in Sharia law is stupid. We are a secular nation; our motto is "Out of many, One", not "In God we trust"; Palin may be an evangelical Christian but that's fine with me as long as she leaves it at home; Obama is hype and fluff.

September 8, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  2. John, Washington DC

1) 'Extreme'? Take a look at your running mate Biden – Obama has one of the (if not THE) most liberal voting records in the Senate. Is he not at the 'extreme' edge of the spectrum?

2) CNN – why won't you cover the Obama lawsuit in Philly to the same degree as the Alaska State Trooper fizzle?

September 8, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  3. Mark Cross Junction VA

Hey Joe at least she has views and more than 1% of voters! Don't give up your daytime job.

September 8, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  4. Carol TX

Gene....are kidding??? As an "average" American she DOES NOT speak for me, personally I am Pro-Life but politically Pro-Choice as I feel I cannot make decisions regarding any one's body but my own.

This nut is for ALL abortions even in cases of rape, as my 14 yr old niece was raped and was impreganted from this vicious crime I tend to be just a bit more lenient.

The decision to abort the child was a "personal" choice for her family as she was and to this date, 8 years later, emotionally scared but we pray not for life.

It kills me to see her flinch each time a male is within 10 feet of her, SO AS AN AVERAGE AMERICAN SHE DOES NOT SPEAK FOR ME.

September 8, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  5. Tired of W, OH

Extremist views....

No abortion exceptions, even for cases of rape and incest.

Ban all library books with views opposing your own (and fire the librarian if they oppose you).

Force schools to teach creationism, even though there is no scientific basis for it. (Ever hear of Catholic schools?)

Misuse political power for personal revenge (trooper-gate).

September 8, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  6. Greg Pottstown, Pa.

Obama = farthest left voting record.
    Biden = second farthest left voting record.

I don't think they have any room to say anyone has extreme views.

September 8, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  7. GIGI IN LA

B---–B I G
    I----I D I O T
    D----D O I NG
    E----E X T R E M E
    N---N O N S E N S E

September 8, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  8. Anonymous

I live in Western PA in the heart of religious, hunting, and fishing land and trust me- no one is buying what she or McCain is selling.

September 8, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  9. 8) the smilin' guy

I hope O wins, but I have my doubts. And if we don't win, it certainly won't be Hillary's fault. The blame lays squarely on Pelosi, Reid, and Dean. Jealous little minded politicians who just couldn't stand being bossed around by another Clinton. If we lose, I certainly hope these three lose their seats to a primary challenger. They have done NOTHING... ZIP! SQUAT! for Americans since taking the house and senate last year. Except for minimum wage... I will give them that. So... that's it? That's what we get, for getting you self absorbed losers into a leading position in house senate and party? A modest raise in the minimum wage. arrrrghhhhh!!!!

September 8, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  10. bert

All the repubs are doing is letting us get to know Palin but there has to be a reason they won't let her give interviews with the media. WE DO NOT NEED ANYBODY WHO IS SO AFRAID OF HERSELF AND THE THINGS SHE HAS DONE TO THE POINT THAT SHE WILL NOT ANSWER QUESTIONS FROM THE PRESS OR COME ON THE SUNDAY MORNING CIRCUIT SO WE CAN HEAR HER ANSWER SOME OF THIS STUFF. This doesn't look like straight talk to me. The repubs should be running on a no talk platform instead of the lie that they are running on right now. Please vote for Obama!!!!

September 8, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  11. linda n carolina

Amen...Get Real. This is the only thing these repubs understand. No more Mr Nice Guy. Nail them on every lie, smear and inuendo. In your face politics.

September 8, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  12. Cathy

Gov. Palin's views are very extreme. This woman will stop at nothing to spread her lies and backward views. Biden, do not take it easy on her just because she is a lady. Go after her and take her down.

September 8, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  13. Are you kidding??

Gene DiGilio: 'Mainstream'? Palin beleives in creationism , that the Alaska pipeline is 'God's will', and in the banning of books. She supports the Alaskan independence party, and thinks that $4,000 per person of federal earmarks is appropriate for a small Alaskan town. She's a lot of things, but certainly not mainstream.

September 8, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  14. george

i think al goracle has some extreme views on the "global warmings". biden's got it backwards.

leave it to a democrat to attack anyone for taking a stance on anything, rather than letting the latest polls form their opinions at the moment.

i especially like the part where biden says palin is extreme, then says he doesn't know enough about her. make up your mind biden

September 8, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  15. Cynthia

From what I have seen online about her she has a lot of extreme views, including her church.

September 8, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  16. Sen. Joe Biden

You may have noticed that my eyes are closing.
    It's just that I can't bear to watch......not again..... :-(

September 8, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  17. MS

Sarah Palin, has not been allowed to interview..isn't that good enough that she has no knowledge of real issues, Americans are facing. They are hiding her because she is getting a crash course on…
    Economics 101
    Health care 101
    Foreign Affaris 101
    After the crash course she will come out swinging and people will fall for her…I just dont get it, if people are stupid and think Mccain and Palin will bring about change..then they dont deserve Obama/Biden.They can elect Mccain and take the county down the toilet.
    But I know for sure that I am gonna do the rite thing, I will do my part will you…

September 8, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  18. Michael J, Toronto

You want to talk about "extreme views." What about Obama attending his church for 20 years and the "extreme views" they hold.

September 8, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  19. mary, colorado springs co

Obama/Biden ticket is the best we could hope for.

McCain and Palin are running on past experiences, not what they plan for the future. I sick and tired of their constant recitations of HIS POW experience and HER mayoral duties in a 2-bit, wide spot in the road and machinations to get to the governorship.

Obama and Biden tell it like it is and what they plan for the future and don't try to slide in on their past experiences. As a voter, I can't ask for more.

OBAMA/BIDEN 2008

September 8, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  20. Jon

After reading all post from all the stories it seems as if those voting for Obame/Biden actually want to pay more of their hard earned money to the government because that is what is going to happen if they get elected, but you dont have to worry. McCain and Palin will will.

McCain/Palin 08/12

September 8, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  21. CW4Barack

Let's pray and use our votes to stop the madness.....make sure you talk to your friends and ensure everyone you know who is eligible to vote is registered to vote. This morning I heard McBush is leading in the polls and that is just too scary! The Dems can't act like whimps and not hit back at her and hit back hard....forget this don't want to beat up on the hockey mom crap....she is out their attacking and attacking....let's see how well she can defend! They need to turn this pitbull with lipstick into a whimpering chuhuahua!

September 8, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  22. vicky

Biden wants to be Mr. Nice Guy so he begins his statements by giving Palin the benefit of the doubt. I am really dissapointed with his nice guy attitude. Why is he being nice? Pitbulls are attack dogs and have turned on their owners or children many times. That red on the pitbull is not lipstick. Both McCain and Biden must beware.
    CNN why is it when comments are still open and when I submit you tell me comments are closed? Is this censorship?

September 8, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  23. Stephanie

Gene,
    Her views are NOT mainstream! Extreme is an understatement. I, an everyday average American, am completely petrified that she could one day run this country.

Also, there are major subjects (global warming, the war in Iraq, etc...) that she has said she doesn't know enough to have an opinion. We don't need someone who has to "cram for the exam". Scary!

September 8, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  24. Maggie Hogan

And McCain calls himself a patriot. Selecting a candidate with little to no experience in such important areas as Foreign Policy and who is so extreme to the right that women's rights are being threatened.
    How can American's believe the lies the McCain campaign is pushing.

Americans wake up! Just because Sarah Palin is a woman is NO reason to vote for her. Do your research! Read for a change.

And Obama....get out there and FIGHT!

September 8, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  25. Matt, Manchester, CT

Those extreme views don't seem to extend to stereotyping Indian-Americans, do they Senator Biden?

September 8, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |