September 8th, 2008

McCain attacks Obama on military spending

McCain is attacking Obama on military spending .
McCain is attacking Obama on military spending .

LEE’S SUMMIT, Missouri (CNN) –John McCain is launching a new line of attack against Barack Obama, criticizing his rival for saying Sunday that he would buck his own party by calling for an increase in the size of the U.S. military.

“Of course, now he wants to increase it,” McCain told an audience in Lee’s Summit, Missouri Monday. “But during the primary he told a liberal advocacy group that he’d cut defense spending by tens of billions of dollars. He promised them he would, quote, ‘slow our development of future combat systems.’”

Watch: McCain says he will 'veto every earmark'

McCain was referring to a YouTube clip from last October that features Obama promising the non-profit group “Caucus for Priorities” that he would reduce wasteful military spending.

“I will cut tens of billions of dollars in wasteful spending,” Obama said in the video. “I will cut investments in unproven missile defense systems. I will not weaponize space. I will slow our development of future combat systems.”

In the video, Obama also said: “As president, my sole priority for defense spending will be protecting the American people.”

Obama, now the Democratic nominee, was asked on ABC’s “This Week” on Sunday to cite examples of where he would be willing to break with his own party.

“I’ve said that we need to increase the size of our military,” Obama answered, noting that such legislation might anger some on the left.

McCain, who claimed in his remarks that the world is simply too dangerous to reduce military spending, said Obama is guilty of general election pandering.

“Sen. Obama told the extreme left what they wanted to hear during the primary, now he’s trying to tell you what he thinks you want to hear,” McCain responded in Missouri. “My friends, you may not always agree with me but you will always know where I stand.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Rudy NYC

My friends, this election needs to be decided on the merits of what each candidate will bring to the future of America.

My friends, we as a nation need to decide if we wish to live in a civilized world of peace, or violent world of war.

My friends, I promise to lead you to the life that we dream of for our children and grandchildren.

My friends, get out to vote.

September 8, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  2. nerakami

John McSame has voted AGAINST or not voted at all for the Veterans' Bill. On the night of his convention sppech, chants of USA drowned out a Iraqi vet who was screaming at the top of his lungs that McSame is lying about his support of vets.

There ought to be a law against candidates LYING about their position on issues. This is to protect the American people from false information. Am I the only who sees this as vital?

September 8, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  3. LS

Well, McCain got a couple of things right, just two things. I will NEVER agree with him, and I definately know where he stands. That's why I voting for Obama.

I wouldn't trust or believe anything McWar has to say, no way.

September 8, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  4. txgop

Oprah says Obama for president "Obama/Biden", somewhere along those lines. I would feel badly to disagree with her; if you watch her or not. I love Oprah and am waiting to see what she will be sporting on the Obama inauguration speech!!! CHEESE!!!

September 8, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  5. WOW---WOW----WOW

I F,,,,,,,,,,,,O B A M A,,,,,,,,,,,W AN T S,,,,,,,T O ,,,,,,,,,C U T,,,,,,,,B I L L I ON S,,,,

I N,,,,,,,,,,W A S T E,,,,,,,,,,W HA T,,,,,,,,,P RO P O S AL S,,,,,,,,,H AS,,,,,,H E,,,

P U T,,,,,,,,,F O R W A R D,,,,,,,,,,I N,,,,,,,,,H I S,,,,,,,,P U B LI C,,,,,,C A R E E R

,,,,,,,,,,W H I C H,,,,,,,,,,S U P P O R T,,,,,,,,,,T H I S ? ??

September 8, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  6. Election Watcher

"O"bama
    "O" = zero

September 8, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  7. DWoods

The United States was wrong for butting in where they are always wrong. This war was wrong, Sadaam Hussein was not the real threat–Osama Bin Laden was and still is. Numerous human beings have lost their lives, because Bush wants to stick his chest out and be an arrogant nobody.

And if John McCain was so much for change, why did he carbon copy Obama months later. McCain was running on experience now he is running on Obama's "Change". We see the true you–McCain on the McSame experience.

September 8, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  8. Tired of W, OH

So, what's wrong with what Obama said? Now McCain supports wasteful spending in the military? But he's against wasteful earmarks? Like the kind of earmarks that his VP Palin lobbied for in Alaska (she decided she didn't want the bridge to nowhere anymore, but she gladly accepted the money for it)?

What's wrong with cutting out the wasteful military spending and using the money where it's needed the most in the military, like increasing its size? Go ahead, "conservatives". Go to your trough and get your daily talking points from Farmer Rush.

September 8, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  9. AA

Read it again you illiterates. Wasteful spending. That means star wars. That means over a billion a week in Iraq.

What does Johnny boy plan on doing, have not heard a peep of a plan yet. Not for the military, not for domestic, not for nothing.

And that is what the GOP does for average americans... nothing. Scare you then take advantage for their personal gain.

Not this time.

Peace.

September 8, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  10. Voter

McCain is a liar. Obama campaign need to fight back hard its the only way with these idiots.

September 8, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  11. Connie

ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ARE STUPID,IDIOTS AND SO AFRAID TO VOTE FOR A BLACK MAN. YOU ALL DESERVE WHAT YOU GET IF YOU VOTE FOR MCSENILE, BUT OUR YOUNG PEOPLE DO NOT.AS A 64 YEAR OLD WHITE WOMAN MY DAYS ARE COMING TO THE END. WE NEED THE YOUTH TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT FOR AMERICA. VOTE OBAMA?BIDEN 08
    Connie from Indiana

September 8, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  12. McSame/Pathetic 08

Coming from someone who doesn't know how many homes he has, I doubt you EVER know where you stand, McBush.

September 8, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  13. Independent-Latina-for-OBAMA

WHAT'S NEW.............ALL THE GOP HAVE IS ATTACK......... THEY HAVE NOTHING TO OFFER BUT MORE NATIONAL DEBT ..........MORE WAR..........AND WITH MCCAIN OUR CHILDREN........WILL.......BE..........DRAFTED. GOD HELP US!

September 8, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  14. Trollmaster

I'm seeing all these McCain signs that say Country First. But what country is McCain putting first Iraq or China?

September 8, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  15. Lynn

We , the public gave money for McShame's campaign and this McIdiot is spending on thes stupid ads.

September 8, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  16. ts

McCain is the biggest panderer of them all!!! McCain has flip flopped so many times on so many issues. What isn't CNN calling him out on it???

September 8, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  17. Anonymous

Putting a missle defense system in space is pointless. But for some reason that's what Reagan, Bush Sr, Bush Jr, and McCain wants. Maybe they are aiming at Aliens or something lol.
    -------------

Or maybe it's just possible that they (Republicans) are in the pocket of multibillion dollar defense contractors. I mean, anything is possible.

Nah, that's crazy talk.

September 8, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  18. We're NOT "your friends"!!!

“But during the primary he told a liberal advocacy group that he’d cut defense spending by tens of billions of dollars". Yes he will be ENDING THE WAR IN IRAQ!!! Try to keep up old man.

Obama/Biden '08

September 8, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  19. A CANUCK

I hope you Americans aren't being taken in by the McCain/Palen "dog and pony show" !!!!!!!!!!???????????

September 8, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  20. Ken in Dallas

Of course you know where McCain stands. He stands with K Street.

September 8, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  21. J UAN CARLOS

O B A M A,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,W E A K,,,,,,,,,,,A N D,,,,,,,,,,,,,,W E A K E N I N G

September 8, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  22. Doris,Memphis, TN

McCain and Palin think they are a surge, but whole on a change
    is coming.

September 8, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  23. Ken

“My friends, you may not always agree with me but you will always know where I stand.” J. McCain

Well, actually Sen., it is somewhat difficult to determine just where you stand on many issues. You've flip-flopped quite a bit over the last 8 years, and most of it has been a pandering flop over to the far [R]ight. And the most recent flop was the FLOP of a VP candidate you chose. So, based on the recent eveidence, I'd say that you stand arm-in-arm with the extreme neo-wing of the [R] party. You FLOPPED, and they voted for you.

And to that, I say "no thank you". You see I like to use my brain. I've seen what's happened over the past 8 years, and it has been a pathetic failure, especially when compared to the success of the next previous 8 years in the 1990s.

So yes Sen., I've come to realize where you stand. You are no longer a conservative, but are instead just another reactionary neo-winger who'd like to prolong the Bush legacy. I DO NOT STAND WITH YOU. I will give the Obama/Biden ticket their shot at getting this country back in order - I hear more truely conservative ideas coming out of any single speech of theirs than I've heard out of all your campaign speeches put together.

September 8, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  24. Joe, from NY

McSame is a liar...plain and simple.

To Rollins–you think Joe Biden is worried about debating McPalin because of her wonderfully CANNED campaign speech with NO substance.

Ask McPalin the difference between Sunni, Shia and Kurd Iraqis and the debate is over.

Obama/Biden

September 8, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  25. J. McCaskill, Mississippi

Obama was aginst expanding the military before he was against it. Two can play at this game. The fact of the matter is that the Dems should have nominated Hillary Clinton. The race is tight with a sitting unpopular Republican president. Why? because Obama is nothing but hot air and a empty suit. No specifics, no substance. Where is the beef? There is no need for the Deomcrats and the liberal press to attack Sarah Palin because the Obama?Biden ticket cannot deliver. A independent Hillary Supporter for John McCain.

McCain/Palin 08