September 8th, 2008

McCain Palin fires back over book ban rumor

(CNN) - The McCain-Palin team is continuing its pushback campaign against stories about VP nominee Sarah Palin that have taken on a life of their own on the Internet.

Watch: Abbi Tatton on the Palin book ban rumor

On Monday, they sent reporters a memo in response to reports that the Wasilla, Alaska resident had tried to ban a lengthy list of books when she was mayor of that town.

“This is categorically false. The fact is that as Mayor, Palin never asked anyone to ban a book and not one book was ever banned, period,” McCain campaign spokesman Brian Rogers said, directing reporters to campaign research "debunking this smear."

Watchdog Web site snopes.com has also debunked an e-mail that purports to include a list of books Palin tried to ban – several of which were not even published in 1996, when the message says her attempt took place. Factcheck.org also published a lengthy list of rumors they had found to be false under the headline "Sliming Palin."

The language used echoes that of the Obama campaign’s “Fight the Smears” Web site and “Obama Action Wire” e-mails, which look to discredit false rumors about the Democratic nominee.

The McCain campaign has issued increasingly aggressive responses to rumors about the presumptive Republican VP nominee, including some detailed public statements denying sensational stories that had not previously been reported by any mainstream media organizations.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. To Leslie and the other Obamabots

Did you even read the article?

A list of books that were "banned" by Palin were not even written yet.

But why let facts get in the way of a good story.

September 8, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  2. Speaking in Tongues

Maybe she didn't try to ban books, but according to the new lead CNN story, she believes in the "end times" and speaking in tongues.

I hope Americans realize what they are getting into if they vote for this woman.

This is serious. Someone who believes in the rapture and the end times, if she were to become president, would be able to start wars. She said in July she doesn't even know what a vice-president does. Do we really want to see her as president should anything happen to a 72 year old John McCain?

Ask yourself.

September 8, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  3. if you were mayor of a small town

Would you say no to government handouts?

I SERIOUSLY DOUBT IT!

Let's see... her choice, as a young mayor, was to accept handouts or let the town rot. Like every mayor in America, she went for the handout.

It's common sense, and a horrible attack stance against her.

September 8, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  4. bill for barack

Since when does the McBush campaign know ANYTHING about the truth /
    They wouldn't know the truth about anything if they fell over it.
    The McSame camp is built on lies.

September 8, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  5. Duke

Everyone should stop getting bent out of shape. The fact is that the path to electoral victory is clear. McCain cannot win in the electoral college, so everyone calm down. Dems, you are not going to lose and will have both houses of congress and Repugs you will not have the white house nor either house of congress. With that said, everyone can now calm down.

Hillary made the same argument about her votes, but that was not the measure, the measure was delegates and she lost and Obama always knew that she would.

The same thing applies here. It is not about the votes or the national polls, it is about the electoral college and McDumb/Bullwinkle Killer are in trouble.

No McLowIQ / No Liar or Flip Flopper

September 8, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  6. Jorge

According to ABC News tonight, the greatest demographic in the change in lead from Obama to McCain is white women.

September 8, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  7. Alaska receives the most earmarks!

Palin's Wasilla records just went online. She was elected with 616 votes in 1996. Wowie wow wow.

September 8, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  8. Bill

Sorry, but Palin and McCain have lost all credibility with me. can't lie to my face over and over again and expect me to believe you. I hope others are not believing all the bullcrap and lies these two put out.

September 8, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  9. Tim in Canada

47-45, stupidity is not written on anyboby's face but it's real.

September 8, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  10. VOICE OF REASON

WHEN A CANDIDATE IS FLASH GRENADED WITH SMEAR RIGHT OFF THE LINE IT ONLY SPELLS ONE THING FOR THE OPPOSITION..... FEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UNRELENTING, UNFORGIVING EVER PRESENT TO THOSE LESS CAPABLE TO COMPETE ON A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD. BUT MOB STYLE ANTICS BY THOSE LESS CAPABLE SEEK ONLY TO CLEAR THE FIELD. LEVELING IT PUTS THEM AT A DISADVANTAGE. SOUND FAMILIAR TO ANYONE FROM OBAMAS CAMP. YES IT LOOKS LIKE THIS TO EVERYONE BUT YOU!!!!!!!! LIKE RUNNING AGAINST CHAIRMAN MAO OR COMRAD PUTIN, YES NO?

September 8, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  11. letsputfamilyfirst

This Gov is very ODD, she says that God is the one that sent these young boys, men, women and girls to WAR in IRAQ and that is a lie, out and out because Bush/Chaney McCain and Swartzquaff did it. This was a war that was and is based on a LIE and she is telling them by the ton along with McCain. Please stop this maddness and put a halt to the lies. It is making lots of people sick. The Republicans DO NOT CARE ABOUT AMERICA NOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE. THEY ARE A SEARCH AND DESTROY PARTY!

September 8, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  12. Roger from CA

Ummmmm.... How exactly does the candidate from the party that has been in power for 8 years plausibly claim to be the true agent for change???

I don't care if he picked a woman for VP.

The claim completely defies logic.

The only possible "change" they represent is finding ways to make even BIGGER mistakes than Bush.

September 8, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  13. Cath

So she never asked anyone to ban a book...oh, please they have people talking about it on TV with people from Alaska...so, now the campaign will have to make up another lie about why Palin wanted to fire the Librarian...this is getting better....just keep giving McCain/Palin enough rope and they will hang themselves with lies! As a former Hillary supporter, I FULLY support the Obama/Biden ticket as I don't want any of my rights as a woman taken away as will be done with Ms. "I'll deny anything negative said about me" Palin...for goodness sakes, she won't even go on TV and answer hard questions...oh that's right, she has to read the Research Books so that she will learn where McCain stands on everything (that was said by Rick Davis)!!! Alot of people here in middle PA feel like there is something that is going to come out about her in a few weeks and she will have to withdraw from the ticket...you know, the old, if it seems to good to be true, it is.

September 8, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  14. Anthony Caudill

According to Wikipedia on this day and time, Palin's claims are patently false.

To quote: "According to Emmons, she and Palin twice discussed the question of library censorship—first in early October then in detail on October 28.[23] Emmons stated Palin asked her if she would object to censorship, and Emmons replied "it would not be just me ... the American Civil Liberties Union would get involved, too."[23] Palin raised the possibility of people circling the library in protest, to which Emmons replied "it would definitely be a problem the ACLU would take on then."[23] In early December, Palin spoke publicly about the issue, using it as an example of a discussion she'd had with her department heads.[23] Palin said, "many issues were discussed, both rhetorical and realistic in nature," adding that censorship "was discussed in the context of a professional question being asked in regards to library policy."[23] No books were removed from the library.[24]

Palin gave signed letters to Emmons and Stambaugh on January 30, 1997 that stated: "I do not feel I have your full support in my efforts to govern the city of Wasilla. Therefore I intend to terminate your employment..."[25] Palin rescinded the firing of Emmons the next day after meeting with her and after what the Anchorage Daily News called "a wave of public support for Emmons."[24] Palin stated that her concerns had been alleviated when Emmons agreed to support Palin's plan to merge the town's library and museum operations.[25] Palin also spoke with Stambaugh at least three times about the matter, but ultimately he was fired as planned. Stambaugh filed a lawsuit which was later dismissed by a court that found the mayor had the right to fire city employees for nearly any reason, including a political one.[26]"

The question is what she meant by it. Was she testing the librarian with a sort of scientific experiment to reveal her character, or was she really serious?

September 8, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  15. bored with lame rhetoric

I wish someone would ban these lame comment boards. It's like watching pro wrestling: a bunch of people making ridiculous and fake arguments.

September 8, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  16. Donald from SC

So now we are back in the dark ages with an old fashion BOOK BURNING!

September 8, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  17. Donna

It is correct that the email list of books is false. However, it is equally correct that then Mayor Palin approached the town librarian about how to go about removing books from the library that the Mayor believed were inappropriate. The librarian refused to do so.

In other words, it is entirely accurate to say that this candidate attempted to remove books from a public library because she opposed them.

September 8, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  18. Matt

When are we going to see more Obama and McCain coverage in this race. Why is this news agency and others in this country covering the Rep. Vp choice instead of the people who are actually running for the presidency. I have seen some idiotic coverage in my days but Cnn, you take the cake. People need to see and hear wht these two people are saying, not watching a beauty pagnent with the Pitbull with lipstick If you people want to see a woman who is actually attractive, you let me know, I will send you soem pictures that would make the pitbull look like the pig in the movie Babe. My wife would make her look like a runner up in a local show.. Come on Cnn, get with the show and do what your suppose to do. Where is this impartial, vigorous and fair reporting Cnn is so well known for. You people are losing what this election is all about, the issues.

September 8, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  19. Minnesota mother for Obama

What is the difference between Palin and Bush? Lipstick.
    If American wants 4 more years of the same then vote McSame & Bush with lipstick. I for one am Obama all the way!

September 8, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  20. David

Yeah, but in honor of all the McCain supporters who continue to smear Obama with baseless rumors, I'm going to continue to believe Palin tried to ban books in the Wasilla library, just as she tries to ban women from having control over their reproductive organs, just as she tries to ban federal protection for the polar bear, just as she tries to ban acceptance of the fact that global warming is caused by human activity.

PALIN SARAH
    PALI ARAH
    ALIARA
    LIAR.

September 8, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  21. Kate

While I care a little that Palin asked people (unsuccessfully) to ban books years ago. I care more that McCain's tax plan calls for a person's medical benefits from their employer to be taxed. I will be paying taxes on the premiums my employer covers for my medical benefits. I am barely afloat and that insurance is a lifeline (even though I still have co-pays, deductibles, policy exclusions etc to pay for). Now, McCain is going to tax that lifeline to cover his tax cuts for the richest of the rich. Under his plan, I go under and my family goes with me to help out the wealthy. Can you afford to have your medical benefits taxed like its income? Can you really take that chance?

September 8, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  22. puma power

I can not stand any more lies!! I am going to VOTE for you Obama I just feel that it is the right thing to do in my heart no more lies did you see Palin talking about fannie and freddie????NO HOW NO WAY NO MCBUSH!!!

September 8, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  23. Ralph Peoria, Il

Sarah Palin likened herself to a dog, she has the same opinion of herself that I do.......Mush, Mush

September 8, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  24. MD Democrat

You know what happens to a pitbull when it attacks. It eventually gets put down.

September 8, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  25. Kate

This may not get posted because I raise a serious question that middle income folks like me need to hear about & CNN is too worried about losing its standing with the McCain camp. But here goes:

September 8, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |