September 8th, 2008

New ad declares McCain-Palin 'original mavericks'

The McCain campaign is out with a new ad Monday.
The McCain campaign is out with a new ad Monday.

(CNN) - Republicans John McCain and Sarah Palin are out with a new television ad Monday, declaring themselves the "original mavericks."

The 30-second spot, set to air in key states, says McCain and Palin will "make history" and "change Washington."

"He fights pork barrel spending," the ad's narrator states. "She stopped the Bridge to Nowhere. He took on the drug industry. She took on big oil."

Palin's statement claiming to have opposed the now-infamous "Bridge to Nowhere" has been disputed by opponents who note she supported the major earmark when she campaigned for governor of Alaska in 2006. According to the non-partisan factcheck.org, Palin didn't oppose the project until Congress had already nixed it.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Fritz

Does CNN do anything but parrot any more?
    They give credence to the ad by publishing it and then have to rely on factcheck to show it is a lie.

September 8, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  2. Jaison Biagini

i guess you can keep saying the same lies when no one is allowed to ask you about them!!

September 8, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  3. Bob Indianapolis, IN

RIght on, Debbie! They burned books in Nazi Germany as well! A McCain/Palin election would be the final slide into facism for America..

September 8, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  4. Z

Is that all you Democrats have? Same oh same oh from your mouths. Hussein Obama is full of lies and definitely lacks character. Vote for the true Americans in this election.

McCain-Palin 2008!

September 8, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  5. Triggidy

"She took on big oil..."

How? Doesn't her husband work for BP? Big Oil wants to drill up in ANWR for about six months of oil. Way to get off the teat.

September 8, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  6. texas blue

Yeah Mavericks...
    John McCain is the ultimate hypocrite. Cheating on his first wife with several women, and then cheating and marrying Cindy before he was legally divorced. He tries to put this all in the past, saying that it was 30 years ago. Picking Palin was exactly what he did when he picked Cindy. He caught his next ticket up.
    Palin as the most popular governor. Well, let's have any governor start handing out dividend checks from oil revenues that we are all paying for, and see if our governor doesn't become the most popular. What a bunch of malarky-(my favorite Joe Biden term.)

Go Obama

September 8, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  7. Kathleen

The republican lead is a result of the convention energizing the base.
    American people get tired of "new" things very fast. After that they want
    to see the real person. Hyped up Sarah Palin will be revealed for what
    she truly stands for when she is finally interviewed. Then Americans
    will decide if they will allow themselves to be swindled once again by
    the republicans' dangle of fools gold under their nose to their own
    detriment, or will they vote for the REAL change that will benifit them,
    and not make the republicans richer, while they get poorer. Don't be
    fooled by the republicans AGAIN.

September 8, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  8. Rodham Democrat

If Sen. McCain is such a maverick, why was he boasting about how he votes with President Bush 90% of the time?

If Sen. McCain is such a maverick, why did he reverse his position this year to now support President Bush's tax cuts for the richest of people?

If Sen. McCain is such a maverick, why did he originally author legislation on cleaning up the illegal immigration problem, and then reject his own plan this year?

If Sen. McCain is such a maverick, why did he succumb to Karl Rove and not pick his favorite choice, Joe Lieberman, as his VP?

Gov. Palin, who was initially introduced us as a maverick, has so much baggage regarding flip flops that I can't be convinced she's actually reformed much without being pushed into it for political reasons.

September 8, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  9. Oh Boy!!!???

Sue – September 8th, 2008 9:46 am ET
    McCain is now leading in the polls, so apparently we ARE stupid enough to believe this!

The GOP is pretty shrewd, they know America is too racist to elect Obama and will play up the lies and fear right to the end. And it's working like a charm!

Better get used to saying 'President McCain' (and eventually 'President Palin').
    ___________________________

Your comments say you ARE STUPID and RACIST. You must be a proud American.

September 8, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  10. Chut Pata

Isn't the words "Conservative Maverick" an oxymoron? They want to continue the failed policies of Bush and call themselves Mavericks?

September 8, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  11. Conservative

What have you got against women in authority? Or is it white conservative women that you dont like? Or is it just white women?
    I think Mr. McCain and Mrs. Palin will do just fine with you liberals against them. The liberals blew it when they showed their hand first, one thing you may not know about conservaitve people, they dont tell you what they are going to do, they tell you what they did after you showed your hand.

September 8, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  12. demon_joe

Ian September 8th, 2008 9:46 am ET

"If McCain says that Palin opposed the bridge to nowhere then I'll take his word for it."

Are you unable to reason? Do you not know the facts? Are you (we) that stupid that we would follow this liar to the presidency? Why would you want more or worse of the same 8 years?

We don't need a Maverick that is not that and we don't need a redneck from a little town in Alaska (even if she knows where Russia is).

We need brains in the White House! We need Obama-Biden!

September 8, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  13. Jay

Tell me something, you republicans, if the republicans will not talk to Iran and Syria, how will you get Iraq back on it feet. Remember the Iraqi PM met with the Iran President holding hands and hugging each other they are a team now.
    Now who is the fool. We've done all the donkey job now Iran is going to gain? How stupid can americans be, after over 4000 dead and 60000 wounded, Iran is going to benefit?

Obama knew this was going to happen when he opposed the war.

September 8, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  14. Obama-Junkie, IL

As an Obama supporter, I say why should Hillary go after Sarah?

What will Hillary go after Sarah on? What are Sarah Palin's public policies and positions, ranging from the economy to Iraq to Pakistan?
    I DON'T KNOW!

The only thing America knows about Palin is that she is a self-described hockey mom, has a 5-month old down's syndrome baby, has a 17-year old high school unwed pregnant daughter, Palin is pro-life, and Palin is adamantly pro-drilling. Other than that there is not much to go on, unless you talk about non-direct political issues (like TrooperGate or Praying for Jews to convert to Christianity or attending 5 different schools in 6 years for one degree).

She has roused the conservative Republican base, but what with. I have not seen on TV any voters name specific national issues that Palin believes in.

September 8, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  15. redwhiteblue

I see that Joe Biden is being blamed for the loss of points for Obama.
    I don't think so. Obama was on a swing and doing just fine until.....Palin. This election was decided before by the same evil ones that orchestrated the Bush election. She gave one speech and everyone is enthralled. Obama gave many electrifying speeches and he hardly got a bump. What I question is that Obama was drawing thousands of people to hear him and see him.. There is nothing we can do. I expect McCain to be here a short period of time and then we will have president Palin. It makes me sick. Is it all rigged?I believe so. I have said for quite awhile that something didn't look and feel right.

September 8, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  16. robert

More lies from McCain and Palin

September 8, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  17. Drew, TX

I own a business with 131 employees that make 40+ k a year, if Obama is elected, he will raise my taxes, when he does, I'll have no choice but to cut about 20 of those jobs. By the way, if you think I should cut my own salary, I pay several people more than I pay myself.

September 8, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  18. Kathy

I had a dog named Maverick. The dog was better than either of these two.

September 8, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  19. FactCheck

McCain's message is that only he is qualified to fix the complete mess that he helped create by doing the same things that helped create it in the first place. John McCain is about as maverick as Donald Rumsfeld.

September 8, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  20. Sascha

When will the Democrats (and the media) finally call them what they are:

LIARS and demagogs!!!

September 8, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  21. Cloe-chicago

Is this for real? Who are you polling? Are you polling the people that are in communities? Or those who are against community organizers? It has been a hard 8 years for me and I can say proudly I do not want to experience another 4 years of Bush-McCain-Palin politics. Now they are called the real mavericks...please the real Maverick is the politician (Obama) who managed to raise his own money from the community to run for the White House. Last I checked none of my friends own 8 houses or can open up a gas station. Let's keep it real...please poll the real folks...

September 8, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  22. Terry

These people are sic !!!!!!!!!!! If any American falls for this I will turn my back on this country. I am a proud veteran who just can no longer stand these people with lies and distorting the truth.

September 8, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  23. Abbey

Are you serious?

LIARS! They lie and people are so dumb they believe it.

If they win, I am TERRIFIED.

Obama/Biden–the last great hope for the United States.

September 8, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  24. KC

I don't want anymore Cowboys (or Cowgirls) in office. I'll take my chances with the other party.

September 8, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  25. Get Real

Such a mockery to our great Nation!

The Polls lie....
    The Media is scared of the Republicans....
    The far right do not care about the country but themselves.
    Christian conservatives do not practice what they preach.

America do not fall for the same Bush/Rove/Davis/Schmidtz politics.
    Sarah Palin is more related to Bush that Jenna Bush! She has his political, governing and leadership DNA.

McCain, you had better hire someone to taste your food and drinks before you eat and drink. I would not be suprised if in October McCain ends up sick. Then she automatically gets the number 1 shot. This lady is not who we need in the white house.

Sarah Palin is not who she pretends to be or who the pundits are making her out to be. This lady is a repeat of GWBUSH

September 8, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |