September 8th, 2008

Obama calls McCain-Palin 'No Maverick' in new ad

Obama's campaign released a new ad today.
Obama's campaign released a new ad today.

CNN – Barack Obama’s campaign responded to the McCain-Palin team’s new ad touting the Alaska governor’s opposition to the Bridge to Nowhere with a spot released Monday afternoon that attacks the Republican VP nominee by name for the first time.

“They call themselves mavericks. Whoa,” says the announcer in the 30-second spot. “The truth is, they’re anything but.

“John McCain is hardly a maverick when seven of his top campaign advisers are Washington lobbyists. He’s no maverick when he votes with Bush 90 percent of the time. And Sarah Palin’s no maverick either. She was for the Bridge to Nowhere before she was against it.

“Politicians lying about their records? You don’t call that maverick. You call it more of the same.”

The ad, which will air in battleground states, echoes the language of Obama’s own campaign trail attacks against the GOP ticket Monday.

“John McCain says that he is going to tell all those lobbyists in Washington that their days of running Washington are over,” Obama said at a Michigan campaign stop. “So who is it that he’s going to tell? Is he going to tell his campaign chairman? Is he going to tell his campaign manager? I mean, these are folks who have represented every major corporate interest…”

McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds said that there are no registered lobbyists currently on the payroll, “and Barack Obama knows it.”

A new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll found those surveyed give the Democratic nominee the edge when it comes to which candidate is the “real reformer” – but McCain has narrowed Obama’s advantage on “change” from 18 to 8 percent.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. California Girl

McCain is living in a fairy tale. McCain a Maverick! I'm not impressed. Obama don't stoop to McCain's level.

September 8, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  2. Leonard Washington

Is it just me or has McCain and Co kept using the same speeches over and over for the past week or so?

Do they not think that people don't watch T.V. or listen to the radio?

September 8, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  3. Anita from Arizona

It doesn't matter who Obama picked for a running mate. After his acceptance speech is when McCain picked his. He's running scared and using every trick in the book to distract voters from the truth. He lost the economy debate, the foreign policy debate, the energy debate. He needed to rally his base so he picked Palin. Nothing to do with Country First, it was politics first, party base first. They'll lie about Obama and make cheap shots as his character to convince the uninformed voters. I personally am getting sick of the comments. They insult my intelligence as a voter. What changes are you going to make, McCain?? Your record has not convinced me that you are true to your word. I don't trust that McCain will change Washington at all.

September 8, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  4. Antonio SC

I think Palin's education will show over time. She made a mistake on the stomp early yesterday

September 8, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  5. oscar

if mccain/palin win, i will be completely convinced that we as americans have absolutely NO business selecting our leadership...we put bush in office TWICE!! WTH?? His supporters said, "i could see myself having a beer with him [bush]...i can relate to him…he has the same beliefs as me…God chose him…" WTH??? i don't know about you all, but i don't need to have a beer with my president or relate to her/him. we need the smartest, brightest, ambitious, individuals leading this great nation – not our beer buddies that ‘God’ pointed out to you. God forbid one of my beer buddies gets the helm of this country – we will be doomed! and that's what the christian right and conservatives did – they didn't pick the best individual from a policy or issues point of view, they chose with their guts/feelings/emotions where a brain was more appropriate. look at the disaster bush has been...and now we are in for a possible round three?!?!?...my fellow countrymen – i am astounded, shocked, perplexed, and outraged that mccain is getting away with bushing us again...shame on us!!

to the christian right (i'm also a christian but moderate and i do NOT mix politics with religion): was bush God's gift after all? is this what God had in mind for america?? bush?? and again, the christian right may bring us mccain…will they ever learn?

September 8, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  6. Janet

How many years has McCain been in office? What ever stopped him from making the changes he now supports? Look at his voting record, or the bills he has introduced or supported.....we are all Americans...seeking the best President for our country in the 21st Century.

September 8, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  7. Moon Maiden from Lake Michigan

HERE IT IS FOLKS.... PLAIN AND SIMPLE.
    IMPROVE EDUCATIONAL SYSTEMS SO WE DON'T HAVE SOOOOOOOOOO MANY STUPID PEOPLE IN AMERICA.
    YOU CAN'T TEACH COMMON SENSE BUT YOU CAN TEACH THE TRUTH BY SPEAKING THE TRUTH,
    OBAMA/BIDEN08

September 8, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  8. SpecialEd

Haha. These comments and this article prove that CNN is just another liberal shill for the democratic party. Its funny that McCain is leading in every poll this week, some by as much as 10 points but CNN has them even. Dream on Liberals. Welcome to the era of McCain/Palin.

September 8, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  9. Wayne

Yep...plenty of cool aid drinkers here.....Obama lost his lead when folks saw two real, down to earth folks at the RNC and compared that to the demo alternative...

Folks really need to look at what the liberals have done to this country...that is the real reason it is in the shape it is in.......

Many want to blame one man....Bush...for these troubles but forget the most do nothing congress in history....that is the real joke..

Oh yes...thanks for costing me more of my tax money with the bail out of Fannie and Freddy.....that downfall got started by the bleeding hearts in the Carter years...

September 8, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  10. Porker Palin

Once again Porky Palin is lying her bighaired head off. She is not ready to be president and she will impeached if she ever gets to that level. She is not ready for the presidency, she knows it, John knows it, and America knows it.

Obama 08

September 8, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  11. andy in oxford

I am SO sick of Obama and his campaign using the "90% of the time" line. For a guy who touts his ability to change things... he says the same quips over and over and over. Obama, I need a change from your redundant, negative banter. How is THAT going to "unite" the country?
    How do people not see through him?

September 8, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  12. Sue in MI

Oh, for gosh sakes...Obama will still have to get things through Congress.
    And America is a much better place when the "haves" think about the people who are struggling, don't you think?
    I cannot support a campaign (Republican) that has no plans, just plans to attack...the Democrats and then other countries. The Democratic convention was one of inclusion and hope...the mostly white Republicans did nothing but attack and complain and accuse. (and lie)

Palin is a liar, a manipulator, and she DID take the bridge money...it went to other projects, not back to Washington! It's easy to find the truth, if Republicans weren't so busy drooling over her attack speeches. McCain better watch out, because she also has a history of firing people who disagree with her. She is no reformer, and she is nothing but the "rock star" they castigated Barack for being a mere two weeks ago.

September 8, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  13. Ex Democrat N.Y.C

Democrats just don't get it. Read my lips Dems. Republicans will use any means necessary to win an election. This include lies, slurs, prpoganda and fear mungering. The ignorance of many of the ctizens of this great nations is what the republicans party v thrive on. It is no coincident that the more inteligent citizensof this union embraces the democratic party. And yes they do cling to their guns and religion with antipathy just the way our union cling to its bombs and other military armament. I hate to say it, but with all the hate and fear that is spill on the airwave day after day by conservative talk radio which is the source of information for many of our under-educated citizens, I wont be suprise if the republican party after all their ills, get four more years, Wake UP AMERICA.

September 8, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  14. real dem

Anyone who thinks that voting for McCain ( agreed with bush 90% of the time ) is any different than voting for bush the last 8 years need to have there head examined. As many lies that have been told by PALIN ( was with the alaskans to separate from the USA, fired the sheriff because he didn't fire her ex brother inlaw, asked the government for more money that O'bama...lies lies.yahoo reports this.) And to think that the some of the American people are believing this crap. No wonder why we had Bush for 8 years.

O'bama/Biden 08-16

September 8, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  15. marvin pledger

IF WE LET McCAIN GET IN TO THE WHITE HOUSE IT WILL BE MORE OF THE SAME .HE HAS SAID HE WOULD KEEP USE IN IRAQ FOR 50 TO 100 YEARS .McCAIN WENT 4 WEEKS A GO 175 MILES OUT IN TO A OIL RIG THAT IS OWNED BY EXXON AND GOT 16MILLION DOLLARS TO GIVE A SPECH ON DRILLING OFF SHORE FOR OIL.THAT IS A FACT .THE VOTERS HAVE A CHOICE GET OBAMA AND BIDEN AND THERE WILL BE A CHANGE WE WILL HAVE OUR TAXS CUT WITH OBAMA BUT NOT WITH McCAIN.

September 8, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  16. JohnS

W –A–K–E U–P A–M–E–R–I–C–A

Bush, McCain and the GOP have squandered this Nation.

Record unemployment rate

Record deficit: Bush/McCain/GOP took a surplus and managed to chain America to the largest deficit in the history of this Nation (232 years)

50 Millions without Health care

Spending $10 billion a month in Iraq

People losing their homes.

Bailout of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac

and a lot more ...

How much more destruction do we want to tolerate from McCain and the GOP?

W –A–K–E U–P A–M–E–R–I–C–A
    W –A–K–E U–P A–M–E–R–I–C–A
    W –A–K–E U–P A–M–E–R–I–C–A
    W –A–K–E U–P A–M–E–R–I–C–A
    W –A–K–E U–P A–M–E–R–I–C–A
    W –A–K–E U–P A–M–E–R–I–C–A
    W –A–K–E U–P A–M–E–R–I–C–A

September 8, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  17. Rodham Democrat

We need to define John McCain as a choice between the old John McCain and the new John McCain.

The old John McCain may have worked with Russ Feingold, Ted Kennedy, and Joe Lieberman. The new John McCain sides with George Bush's tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans. The new John McCain opposed his own legislation on illegal immigration. The new John McCain was bragging earlier in the year that he sides with George Bush 90% of the time. The new John McCain admitted that he doesn't know much about the economy, which is why he spends a lot of time talking about himself.

The new John McCain is the one who's running for president, and that's how his White House would be.

The only change about John McCain is the fact that he's changing himself, and it reminds people a lot of President Bush.

Don't get fooled by the new John McCain.

September 8, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  18. Naomi

I wish that Palin would be looked into by the media. We depend on the media to brings us things when it happens. It doesn't make you biased when we didn't know a thing about Sarah Palin. No one knows her. A lot of the things that she credits herself with doing, she never did. I want the truth to come out about her, and they(REPUB) can cry sexism all they want. They are trying to just keep the media from doing their job. No one attacked Sarah Palin. John McCain just didn't know a single thing about the woman. He didn't know that her daughter was pregnant and even the investigation she is in now, which he is trying to use against the media. The investigation happened before her VP pick, so no one is targeting her. When things came out about Obama, it was shown in the media. And some things were shown too much. I never heard him or did I see it reported in the media, that he suggested racism. Let's be fair media please. You covered Obama and his mishaps, and you should cover Sarah Palin and hers. Let's not make this about gender and race. I know that is the world that we live in, but let's try. I feel McCain is using Sarah Palin to do things that she really doesn't want to, and I wish the real Sarah Palin would stand up. McCain is using her to be his attack dog and say things that he would say, but is using her to say it so he can try to keep his supposedly good boy image. She is the governor of a country. Be strong, girl and independent. McCain needs her help, and she is doing a good job stirring up the crowd and reading already typed speeches. She needs to do better.

September 8, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  19. frank

Too late for Obama, he already lost his case as seen in recent polls. American people are not stupid you know.

September 8, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  20. Tony

When are the Libs going to realize that they really don't understand America? They told us America wanted Al Gore, yet America voted for Bush. They told us America wanted John Kerry, yet again America voted for Bush. They now tell us America wants Obama, yet are baffled by the polls that show McCain so close. Sooner or later they will realize they are out of touch to what most Americans believe and how they live.

September 8, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  21. Carolyn Green

Everytime I hear Sarah Palin tell a story about her life or her experience in government, her nose gets longer and the fish gets bigger. Please, someone tell me what John McCain's issues are.
    I dare you.

September 8, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  22. K of TX

The press isn't vetting McCain or Sarah Palin because they don't want their precious ratings to disappear.

Never mind if our country is teetering on depression-like numbers because of this housing crisis or unemployment. Never mind that we are mired and overextended in Iraq, struggling in Afghanistan, and being given the cold shoulder by Russia. Never mind that our alliances around the world are losing faith in our diplomatic strength.

NO, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE RATINGS...

September 8, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  23. colorado mat

I hope Obama wins! He wouldn't hurt America, he'll give it away, to us who deserve it!. He's like Robin Hood... tax the rich and give to the poor, me. Then I can quit my job and live off the fruit of the land. And when the money gets low, because rich people stopped working so hard (selfish pigs), they can just print more money! I hope he doesn't let any foreigners become citizens unless they make over $150K. I hope he encourages prochoice, just in case I get some girl pregnant. Who want's to take care of a child anyway or pay child support?(If abortion was legal and easy it would take care of so many problems, like buying condoms). Maybe he likes universal health care...then abortions maybe cheaper or free! That would be great...unless we couldn't get an appointment in time because the medical system was so backed up (free loaders). We'll have to get rid of old people so the Health System wasn't so bad...let's say anyone over 55 maybe 60, and if that doesn't do the trick then anyone overweight, lets say 200 lbs., average male should weigh 175lbs anyway. If that didn't work then that baby would be another person sucking money from my government... Maybe we'd just do it ourselves, if we get it earlier enough that baby isn't really alive right? I'm sure Obama has the answer, I'm hoping in Change!!

September 8, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  24. Callie

CJ
    Oklahoma
    In my old age I can not believe the number of people who had done no checking and believe every thing they hear about a person who is running for office. Not every thing you hear or read is the truth these days, and it does not take much time to do some checking.

Nor can I believe the number of people here in Oklahoma who tell me they can't vote for Obama he is black, and at the same time can tell me the number of things he has said that they believe, in and can see would make this country better.

folks don't you think it is about
    time we voted for some one who will do the best for our country and us who live in America not just the one who can tell the biggest storys that if you check them out there full of lies.

For the first time in 8 years let vote for the ones who care enought to work hard to help out country become the America we remember.

September 8, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  25. Cecil

Isn't It Odd, The GOP Are So Excited Over A VP Pick, Who Has To Have Her Reporters "Carefully" Hand Pick To Answer Political Questions!

She Doesn't Except Invites From News Groups!

Doesn't Take Questions After Stump Speeches or Town Halls!

You Can Call Sen. Obama An Empty Suit All You Want,
    But He's No Chicken From Day One!

What Are They So Excited About, That She Can Read!

SuperDads For The White House 08