September 8th, 2008

Vet group calls for investigation into Track Palin's deployment

, ,
Track Palin is supposed to deploy to Iraq on Thursday .
Track Palin is supposed to deploy to Iraq on Thursday .

(CNN) - A liberal veterans group called Monday for an official investigation into media discussion of Track Palin’s deployment to Iraq — prompting a Defense Department response that there had been no irregularities involved, and would be no investigation.

“Numerous outlets have reported the date and location of Palin's deployment, which compromises operational security,” said Vote Vets in a statement. “The source of the leaks would be acting in violation of the law, and putting troops at unnecessary risk, and could be prosecuted.”

But the kind of information the group is referring to is typically publicly released by the Defense Department well in advance of a unit’s deployment. And the date of Palin’s upcoming deployment has been referred to numerous times by his mother, Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, on the campaign trail.

"There is no violation of operational security,” said Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman. “DoD tells the public when we rotate a brigade into Iraq or Afghanistan."

There was no word from the Pentagon on whether there had been any requests for special consideration in Track Palin’s case. Earlier this year, John McCain asked the media not to report the precise date and time his son Jack would be returning from Iraq until he was back in the United States, a request that was honored by all major news organizations.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Anonymous

You people need to get real and be thankful for all american women and men joining and serving in all branches of the military. Stop making snared remarks about someone's family. I am sure her soon did not have to join the military and I personally resent people making remarks about the military. What would do if we did not have a military? So wise up wise guys and keep your resentful remarks to yourself. These people know the chances they take when going into the military and I pray for them nd their safety and respect all. If you people don't care for the military and strong leaders of our country why don't you just take a one way slow boat some place and park it and stay there. I happen to be proud of all the leaders and military of this country, THE USA.

September 8, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  2. Cynthia

What I find ironic is how Palin referred to Hillary as a whiner during the primaries. Who is doing the whining now? If Palin won't outline her views on the issues that are important to the nation, then the press will find a story where they can. That's politics. As a female, I don't think that we can have a double standard. Male politicians lives are examined with a fine tooth comb (including what they do in their most personal moments). When you decide to jump onto the big stage you have to be willing to play ball with the big boys and girls.

September 8, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  3. Cecil

SuperDads OBAMA / BIDEN

September 8, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  4. BJ

"The issue they're probing is around whether or not Track enlisted to escape jail time-that's the issue at hand."

You all are some sick people...where do you get your facts? Oh yeah...Obama knows all...I keep forgetting.

September 8, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  5. Joe

Wow, more and more people with brains. I guess the ones without brains on this post are still busy praying to thier god asking for one.

September 8, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  6. Henry C.T.B.

What aggregates the heck out of me is that Palin says "My son signed up on September 11th of last year and this September 11th he will be deployed." What a mockery of a sad patriotic day. She had no idea what day he would be deployed, but doesn’t it sound romantic to tie her son going off to war with the terrible events of 2001.

Has she no shame? Pimping out her son.

September 8, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  7. Enlightened Voter

She is supposed to know not to talk about this type of thing, isn't she? Oh yeah I forgot she hasn't been tutored yet. See that is too scary, she didn't even know something that I, as an average citizen knew and yet some people want her as VP? Very frightening!

September 8, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  8. Katrina

non-issue. let's hammer them with facts, please? I laughed out loud at the McCainies referring to Obama's "1 billion in earmarks." That comes to less than 80 bucks per head in Illinois. By contrast, Palin got more than 4,000 per person just for WASILLA during her tenure. 50 times as much. Spread this.

September 8, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  9. Henry C.T.B.

To GIGI IN LA : Biden's son went to Yale law school. He is getting less than what he would be making in other locations. MBNA is the second largest employer in the state of Del. Why not take a job in your home state?

That is a non-issue.

September 8, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  10. Steve

In all honesty, who cares? Really....

September 8, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  11. Proud Army Mom

As the mother of a soldier that is deploying with Gov. Palin's son, I find it reckless and irresponsible that she would disclose any information about their upcoming deployment. Military families go through enough stress when our loved ones are deployed without her adding to it. This is my sons second deployment and he is always careful not to disclose any information with regards to his deployment date or where he is going. As a proud military mom I can understand how pround she is of her son, but at the same we need to be careful when and where we talk about their deployments.

September 8, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  12. Obama/Biden 08

Here goes the neighborhood... put this pair into office and it will be there goes America!!!

Say NO to McCain the SAME and Palin the CHAMELON

September 8, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  13. Kevin

This guy is willing to risk his life. Those Dems making a drama out of this should be ashamed.

September 8, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  14. Robert

I keep seeing post from the far left that state something like the average American. I would just like to say one thing, stop talking for me I can talk for myself. I do support McCain and will continue to as do most of the people I know. Palin was a breath of fresh air but it did not change the way I will vote. I do thank the far left for their statements and bs since this is only causing those who were on the fence to step on McCain's side as has picking Palin given him a big boost. Guys a couple of weeks ago you were for sure you were going to get the white house and now it is not so sure and the hate starts coming out. Please Please keep it up it helps us on McCains side a lot.

Also I though Obama was runing for president no VP but he is campaing against Palin which is good for us, Thank you so much keep up the good work for McCain.

September 8, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  15. julib

Looks like you Democrats are really scared. Boy, talk about grasping at straws.

September 8, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  16. Annie

What a sad display of desperate Democratic tactics. I also see we are now at the point of democrats calling republicans liars. So did Obama lie to his own democratic supporters when he told you he would vote against the Fisa bill and then he voted for it? Did Obama lie to all of us when he said JFK brought his father over to study when he didn't? Did Obama lie to you democrats when he appointed Biden VP as an agent of change who has been in the Senate longer than McCain has and garnered poor support in his own run for President? Are now all republican statements going to be labelled as lies while we have to treat lightly and Obama's are still labelled "he mispoke"?

September 8, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  17. RJ, CA

For the first time in a very long time I'm NOT afraid for my country - with McCain/Palin at the helm!

And I LOVE pit bull women like Sarah Palin, with or without lipstick - we get things done - always have, always wil!

And I LOVE men who love us - REAL men!

September 8, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  18. Jimmie/Las Vegas

Flip-flop, flip-flop – is this not a common things among all the candidates? It seems everyone of them are doing it, so why pick on just one individual – why not pick on them all?

September 8, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  19. Lynn

McCain/Paline 2008

September 8, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  20. susie

Obama's camp is getting desperate!!!!
    The DNC should have supported Hillary instead of Obama.

September 8, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  21. Patty

Where in the world do you idiots get that he is getting special treatment. Some of the comments on here are so absurd I swear you must be being paid for it or you are totally heartless and inhuman. And if she didn't say he was going you would say "what is she trying to hide." I keep looking for some intelligent stuff on here but 90% of it is so disgusting.

September 8, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  22. Scary Palin

Sarah Palin is WRONG for America!

September 8, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  23. Independents4Palin

hmmm....seems like all those people who thought Obama was a 'slam dunk' as a presidential candidate are gettting a little nervous – looks like the ball bounced off the rim instead of going in! Seem Sen Obama should have put his personal feelings aside about not sharing the spotlight with Sen Clinton and put her on the ticket (although I would have preferred seeing Sen Clinton's name at the top of that ballot!).

September 8, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  24. Carmen

Palin son should not have been given special treatment for being in the army and going to war. Wow how much will the Republican go to bat for this beauty queen of McCain. I wouldn't be surprise if McCain don't have his finger in the Republican Party to sweep her into the White House without a problem. Look guys that is McCain new gal. Cindy you are out now honey. Get over it.

September 8, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  25. steve dumford, Scotts valley ca.

Keep it up Obamabots. I'm gettin' such a kick out of watching you panic.

September 8, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |