September 8th, 2008

Vet group calls for investigation into Track Palin's deployment

, ,
Track Palin is supposed to deploy to Iraq on Thursday .
Track Palin is supposed to deploy to Iraq on Thursday .

(CNN) - A liberal veterans group called Monday for an official investigation into media discussion of Track Palin’s deployment to Iraq — prompting a Defense Department response that there had been no irregularities involved, and would be no investigation.

“Numerous outlets have reported the date and location of Palin's deployment, which compromises operational security,” said Vote Vets in a statement. “The source of the leaks would be acting in violation of the law, and putting troops at unnecessary risk, and could be prosecuted.”

But the kind of information the group is referring to is typically publicly released by the Defense Department well in advance of a unit’s deployment. And the date of Palin’s upcoming deployment has been referred to numerous times by his mother, Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, on the campaign trail.

"There is no violation of operational security,” said Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman. “DoD tells the public when we rotate a brigade into Iraq or Afghanistan."

There was no word from the Pentagon on whether there had been any requests for special consideration in Track Palin’s case. Earlier this year, John McCain asked the media not to report the precise date and time his son Jack would be returning from Iraq until he was back in the United States, a request that was honored by all major news organizations.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. James

Instead of dumpster diving for every perceived angles of attacks on Palin, perhaps Obama should spend his time and money on comparing and contrasting the changes and reforms he has implemented and led vs Palin and Mccain. Just a thought.....because all this attack on this woman vp candidate reminds me of what Obama said in his convention speech "..when you don't have a record to run on then your message is to get voters to go against the other guy." Isn't this exactly what Obama is doing? Is Mr Obama reverting back to hyprocrisy as a campaign platform?

September 8, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  2. EC

Wow... I can't WAIT till this "pitt bull" with lipstick goes against Joe Biden. Let them "bark" all they want, we shall see how this self-proclaimed "pitt bull" delivers on October 2 when she goes up against a TRUE BIG DOG.

American shall soon see what their "poodle" is truly made off when she doesn't have Bush's speech writers, John McLame and Joe Lieberman whispering sweet "nothings" in her ear! Let's see if she can muster the pudding or will she end up being the pudding!!!

THAT'S WHAT I'M WAITNG FOR! I WANT SARAH PLAIN TO ENTER THE BIG DOG KENNEL WITH JOE BIDEN. I CAN'T WAIT FOR HER TO BE QUESTIONED BY THE MEDIA AND VETTED BY THE LIKES OF CHRIS MATHEWS, ROLAND MARTIN, RACHEL MADDOW. NOW, THAT'S WHAT I'M WAITING FOR!!

September 8, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  3. HSH

GIVE ME A BREAK!!! Everyone needs to lay of Palin as a person and focus on what is best for the USA. She has 80% of the popluar vote in Alaska. Alaska is also running better then 1/2 of the rest of the states. Besides what has the other side done at all??

September 8, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  4. gary

YOU NAIVE YOUNG HATERS JUST CANT TAKE COMPETITION. SHE WAS A GREAT GOVENOR HER STATE LOVES HER.KEEP BRINGINING HATE ON HER AND OBAMA WILL BE EXPOSED FOR THE TRUTH. YOU NAIVE MORONS DONT EVEN NO THE TRUTH OF OBAMA. THE MEDIA WONT LET IT OUT PUT THE NEWS DOES IF YOU MORONS WOULD BELIEVE AND NOT WORRY ABOUT BE SUCH HATERS. YOU HATERS ARE ONLY GOING TO MAKE IT WORST FOR OBAMA. AMERICAN PEOPLE THAT HAVE BRAINS NOT LIKE YOU NAIVE HATERS ,ARE GETTING TIRED OF THE HATE AND THEIR VOTING FOR A REAL TEAM(MCCAIN AND PALIN). REP'S DONT TRASH THEIR OWN LIKE YOU DEMS DID TO THE CLINTONS. THE MORE YOU KEEP HATING ,ITS ALL GOING TO BACKFIRE IN YOUR FACES. ITS A SHAME THAT IT ISN'T A ABOUT YOUR LITTLE BOY O.B. NOW. HE IS SO HUNG UP ON HIMSELF,THATS WHY HE RAIL ROAD HRC OUT OF THE RACE WITH THE HELP OF THE MEDIA AND DNC.HE'S BIAS.HE IS ALSO ANTI-AMERICAN .YOU NAIVE MORONS WILL FIND OUT SOON.

September 8, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  5. Bob Inmo

As we learn more about Governor Palin, the more she makes my skin crawl. Besides her extreme religious views, she also appears to like to strong arm people. If someone is not on her side, she'll make sure they are removed from their position.

Ask her what she did with the money that she received when supporting the Bridge to Nowhere. She sure didn't return it.

Also, she would like to censor books if she had it her way.

How freely do you think Mr. Johnston is entering into marriage with Bristol?

By constantly bringing up her son's deployment, I would bet that she is trying to get him removed from his tour ala Prince Harry.

She also recklessly put her unborn son's life in danger by traveling late in her pregnancy, and gave a speech while leaking amniotic fluid instead of getting medical care. This possibly could have resulted in his birth being a month early.

If you want your kids out of the media – then stop parading them around.

McCain and Palin in '09 – A 10% Chance for Change! Woohoo!

September 8, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  6. jim bob

Bring him home and send his mother

September 8, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  7. dems are silly

Hey Anonymous...I believe Biden's son is going to Iraq not for "military" reasons, he will be serving as a lawyer there. FYI....not so dangerous.

September 8, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  8. pakuna

Go to fact check and check up on obama. I dare you. He had given the biggest lie around. Starting with the 2 books he wrote. Check the facts out written in the books and you will see most is based on lies. I feel sorry for the sheep that are following him. He has said nothing of substance yet. obamas followers need to get a grip on themselves. The sun does not shine because of him, It does not rain because of him, nothing happens because of him except lies, deceit, anger and more anger. If he can keep people angry, as he is, he thinks he can win.

September 8, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  9. Don

S. Boatman –

Get a life. Did you not read the article. The Pentagon announces well in advance when brigades are rotating in and out of Iraq and Afghanistan. Maybe you should actually read the article before you let off with a rant.

Palin didn't say anything that wasn't public knowledge.

You guys are so desperate that you are scratching for any little thing, even when there is nothing there.

September 8, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  10. shay

Oh Good Grief. Both candidates ask the media to leave the family out and here you go at it again.

I guess the media have nothing else to talk about and to give Palin/McCain a free ride on TV. Nobody have a clue when Palin is going to be interviewed.

Sometime this week is all everyone knows.

All Palin/McCain are doing is shift here shift there and hope the media flocks to Palin/McCain.

I am confused who is running for President.

I wonder what it would look like to see Palin in the White House. How would it look with her family values and morals in the White House?

We would the laughing stock to the world.

I have never seen such a sham being shove down our throats.

A man trying to validate who women are. We got more sense than that. At least I hope we do.

September 8, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  11. Kathryn Richardson

I can't believe that the republicans are up to their old tricks and some of these Americans are falling for it. Even some of these so religious pastors are running around with their tongues hanging out for Sarah Palin. Come on people--we don't want anymore of George Bush!!! There's laws about church and state. Sarah Palin is being used. If she is smart she will get out now. There is something strange about that family that raises the hairs on the back of my neck. Kate from Becker.

September 8, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  12. The Nightingale Sings in Berkley Square

Obama is crying again I see. I get so sad that every one is picking on Obama. Oh woe is me, I think I'll go out and eat worms.

I heard Obama say he wanted to join the military. Isn't that a joke. Obama wouldn't last a day in the military. Can you see him with his gloves on in boot camp?

He is risky and has a funny or strange name. Not for me.

I don't want to risk my country and my values with this inexperienced candidate.

September 8, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  13. dems are silly

Max Mitchell....the reason it sold for 2.1 mill is because that's what the plane was worth. The bozo gov. she replaced BOUGHT it for too much money. It wouldn't sell for the asking price because it was too high. Seeing that Palin didn't buy the plane, but sold it, I think that makes it a PROFIT for her administration and for the people of Alaska. Rather than have it sit there wasting money for maintenance & crew....SHE SOLD IT.

September 8, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  14. Today

Wow, seriously every time a troop is deployed or is due to come home it is on the local news, so no one is in harms way over this. I second the notion of what happened to Obama's "lay off the family". I find it disheartening that the media has chosen to rip apart everything about this woman to even go back 22 years in her husband's history.
    We need to decide on the issues, not this type of hype. The media needs to ask both these candidates some hard questions about their positions on the economy and how to fix it, the war and how to resolve it, health care and how to provide it, the energy problem and how to solve it. As Americans frankly we need answers not hype, not generalities, not rhetoric! We need a balanced budget and a strong economy! We don't need all the Hollywood Hype we need a leader!

September 8, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  15. Bruce

It is true that Palin was put on the ticket to distract attention away from real ISSUES tht no one in the McCain Camp wants to have to address. They are just hiding behind the silly lies and never puting out any real information about what their pan i sto maek the BIG CHANGE they prommised. Thye do not have a plan so thye lie about things even when it is so easy to see the lie the fact that the medea gets caught up in telling the lie the people forget what the election is about.

The ELECTION IS ABOUT THE FUTURE AND IT IS ABOUT YOU.

Stop being used by spin doctors and pay attention to how we are going to get out of this mess that BUSH got us into with the help of McCain there will be no change unless we all demand it and vote for Obama

September 8, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  16. wondering

This is where the liberals are going too far. Leave the kids alone. As a democrat and a mother, I the children of these candidates left alone. This looks totally desperate. Also can CNN verify that Obama has received $1 billion in earmarks...is that a fact?

September 8, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  17. Palin makes Democrats Cry

I am loving this. This is the revenge for all of the Hillary bashing the Obama supporters have done. Hillary should be the one running against McCain. She would know how to handle this unlike Obama who can't complete a sentence without an ummmm, ahhhh, ohhhhh. HA!

Now you will all reap what you sow. A Republican President for another four year. I can't wait to vote!

September 8, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  18. You Did Not!!

Well, gee, what I heard is that Track MAY have been involved in some school bus tampering in Alaska, and military service MAY have been offered in lieu of jail time. Too bad it's a juvie sealed record (if true). Too bad we cant ask Ms. Palin if it's true.

September 8, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  19. Mike

I must say, it is fun to watch you Liberals flounder for traction. It has been so long since you had to TRY to lose an election that you have gotten rusty. See you all at the polls, if your environmentally friendly maps, hemp flip flops and don't fail you in locating them as usual.

September 8, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  20. Another Ex-Republican for Obama

Him being deployed to Iraq is as close as this joke of a VP candidate has gotten to "foreign policy" experience, or "commander in chief" experience.

McCain used to be a hero, now he's just a pathetic sell-out to the Rovion morons.

Vote Obama '08 then give us moderate Republicans a chance in 2012.

September 8, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  21. Erika, KS

Once again,

The Obamabots are out in force with their mean, nasty dispositions. You would have thought they would have learned a thing or two from the backlash by the way they treated Senator Hillary Clinton.

Leave this woman alone. Leave her family alone. You people are unbelievable. How ironic. You couldn't stand the fact that Hillary was the better candidate than Obama, and now you can't stand the fact that McCain trumped you by his VP choice. Oh woe is me! Cry me a river. LOL.

September 8, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  22. John

For those who called DNC big government, look at today's economy news, if government did not step in as Fannie & Freddie in big trouble, your house is gone today.

September 8, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  23. Ann

Good lord. A liberal VETERANS' group actually took the time to look into this? To look into whether or not a fellow soldier is really being deployed? How about wishing him the best and giving him a pat on the back or a handshake as he leaves?

You know, years ago I was a liberal, but I'm independent now, because I can't stomach the hate spewing that many liberal Democrats are capable of. You people make me sick.

McCain is not Bush, you idiots. He's his own man. And Palin may be inexperienced, but certainly not as experienced as Obama, and he's at the top of the ticket.

You people need a hug.....bad.

September 8, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  24. God

I know who anonymous is.
    I apologize.

September 8, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  25. Irma in North Carolina

I suppose Sarah is going to say this is a task of God to Send her son to Iraq. If God is capable of this then he surely should see fit to take Sarah out of this election in some way or form, and also take Mccain out to. I dont think God thinks to highly of people who commited adultry.

September 8, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |