September 9th, 2008

Biden questions GOP disability advocates on stem cell research

Watch the Mcain-Palin event on CNN.com/live.
Watch the Mcain-Palin event on CNN.com/live.

COLUMBIA, Missouri (CNN) – Joe Biden suggested Tuesday that advocates for people with disabilities should “support stem cell research” - a remark that follows repeated pledges from Republican VP nominee Sarah Palin, the mother of a baby with Down Syndrome, to parents of children with disabilities that she would be “a friend and advocate in the White House.”

When asked about the issue at a Tuesday rally, Biden did not mention Palin’s name, but seemed to direct a question to her.

“I hear all this talk about how the Republicans are going to work in dealing with parents who have both the joy…and the difficulty of raising a child who has a developmental disability, who were born with a birth defect,” he said. “Well, guess what folks? If you care about it, why don't you support stem cell research?”

Related: McCain camp says Biden 'sunk to a new low'

Biden told voters “the disability issue is not a new issue for us” and said he and Barack Obama would support stem cell research — a political hot potato that Sarah Palin does not support because it involves the use of human embryos.

In an illustration over the controversy of stem cell research — a key issue for some conservative voters — the Republican ticket is split. John McCain supports the practice.

Filed under: Joe Biden
  1. No Palin Pitbull Lips

Joe,
    I support you and Obama. I don't support stem cell research because it is my understanding that embryos will be used.

September 9, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  2. Truth Be Told

Actually Gov. Palin provided funding for children with special needs.
    Those are the FACTS.

September 9, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  3. Paul

Good call, Joe. Palin flew for hours to give birth (at 44!!!) to a kid that she knew needed special attention. What a freak show.

September 9, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  4. FreeNLovIt

You shouldnt kill babies. My mother told me of this one couple who aborted their baby and the mother kept hearing the cries of a baby. As Christians, they confessed their sins and had asked God for another pregnancy. She was pregnant again and gave birth to a baby.

My personal viewpoint on abortion is that if it has a heartbeat, you should keep it unless it is hazardous to your health.

If it doesnt have a heartbeat, I dont have a problem clipping my toenails.

September 9, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  5. Vincent

MIKE September 9th, 2008 1:29 pm ET

So he thinks that Down Syndrome babies should not exist…the world should just be filled with perfect people?

well…at least he is in sync with his running mate who thinks down syndrome babies can be aborted after they are out of the womb too.

This is disgusting….now they are attacking this ladies down syndrome kid…that somehow he is not perfect enough to exist in this world and we need to change him?

Disgusting Pigs…both of them
    ____________________________

Before engaging the keyboard, you should really get your facts straight.

It seems to me that only the Amish community knows about Pro-Life as they are against taking of any human life which includes War and Coporal Punnishment. All those who think differently are hypocrites and those who think they aren't, well you really and truly are.

September 9, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  6. Warren - Independent

Apparently Palin can not do rally's on her own, Can't do interviews. McCain affraid of what she will say? They are on different pages! She is the PORK Queen for Alaska and McCain wants NO PORK! Together, she will introduce him while he stands there looking like a puppet! I find it funny that she blatintly lies and he supports the lies! Which one would actually be president?

GO Obama and Biden '08

September 9, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  7. KC

Sarah, The Pitbull? Meet Joey, The MAD DOG!!!!!!

Obama/Biden '08

September 9, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  8. Warren - Independent

McCain is 100% against pork belly earmarks but his VP is the queen of them! In 2 years she got 750 million and did not return the earmark monies she got for the Bridge to nowhere which she was originally for! Now saying she was never for! Outright LIE…..
    No wonder she can have NO property Taxes, No State Taxes and give money back to the residences of Alaska! She is an out right thief of the American Tax payers!
    Come on Hillary supporters! Palin does not stand for 1 thing Hillary stands for. Atleast Hillary and Obama are very close to each others ideas. Actually not really any difference!
    For someone to say they are a Christian and come out and blatantly lie and steal from the American tax payers does not sound to Christian to me! If this is your idea of being a Christian, I feel sorry for you!
    To me sounds like she has NO integrity and No morals! And it seems many going to still vote for her just because she is a woman! I really hope not! I think that most Democrats, Independents and especially most WOMEN have a lot more smarts than that!
    Remember she is not the top of the ticket! DON’T VOTE GENDER!!!!!!
    Republican Presidents puts us in wars and kills our economy and Democratic Presidents have to fix the mess! That is history!
    4 more years of the same does not appeal to me! Times are bad enough without letting McCain hurt us for another 4 years!

September 9, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  9. Bob

There is nothing wrong with what Joe Biden said. Since she has a disabled child she should be the first one supporting it.

September 9, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  10. LET S TALK ISSUES

IT IS TIME TO STOP PLAYING AND START TALKING REAL ISSUES.

September 9, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  11. MB

What a low blow from Biden. If he was familiar with the issue and not playing for his base, he would know that non-embryonic stem cells have shown more potential than embryonic ones. But to suggest the mother of a disabled child does not care about those children is reprehensible.

September 9, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  12. blue

yes, Joe tell them like it is. A true VP! not someone that did not anything about the VP position six weeks ago and now she is a candidate. Sarah is such a joke!

September 9, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  13. Carla from Colorado

Obama and Biden are not grasping any any straws – they are discussing the REAL issues that are up for voters consideration when choosing a Preis. & V.P. Sara Palin is full of "fluff" and contradictions when her podium comments are challenged – as they have been for 19 months for Obama. What are her views on stem cell research. What does she mean by an advocate and a friend? As a parent of a Down Syndrome son, I don't need an advocate and a friend-I need an end to the wait list for services and choices. I need health care options, I don't get "per diem" expenses to travel with my son – I have to pay for childcare out of my hard-earned $$$. This is just one issue but during the next 8 weeks, she's going to have to face the press, the debates and the American public with real answers to real issues all of us face in the other 49 states.

September 9, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  14. Ike

Palin? ...just a hypocrite. Let her talk about issues and not throwing sarcasms and lies that take this country to no where. we need more truth about her record. I believe american people are not foolish. And to the good women about there, this race is not about gender but about issues. who best represent your values today and tomorrow. also for those who need special needs, know Palin is not on your side, read her record-she slashed aid to schools for children with disabilities by 50%. Is that someone who cares about people with disability. Oh! I see, she now care after her son turned out to be in need as well. The truth is, she will not care for you. Finding yourself in a situation is no guarantee you'll work for or with those having similar situations. It also goes true with gender-because she's a lady does not mean she represents women values. Most women will turn down an offer from her to take her extreme postions.my one cent.

September 9, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  15. James

Keep at it Joe. I could care less if the GOP's fashion model VP is "offended".

September 9, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  16. barbara

Thank you Joe. You may not be getting the coverage and publicity
    Sarah Palin is getting, but atleast you are discussing the issues.
    Keep talking. People are listening.

September 9, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  17. lil jj

First of all, Palin is not the only woman who wears lipstick. Can you trust
    a woman that compares herself to all things a pit bull ? Oh, by the way
    communities usually do not tolerate unruly pits. Second of all, Palin lied
    when she said God ordered the war. Bush and Cheney ordered the war.
    Hello. Enough is enough. The American people deserves to know the
    truth about this woman. Something is terribly wrong with a person that
    will tell a lie on God to prove her point. Palin sounds like a extremist to me.

September 9, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  18. Ron L

I DO NOT understand the reluctance to allow stem research on embryo's that are going to be DISCARDED!!
    Somebody needs to explain in clear terms..
    WHY IS IT OK TO THROW THEM AWAY THAN TO USE THEM FOR RESEARCH???
    I could even understand limiting the number of those scheduled to be discarded for use, BUT TO THROW THEM ALL AWAY???
    IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!!
    I believe this is an unwarranted fear that some one is going to use them for something else (maybe cloning). But this can be prevented by carefully controlling the number allowed to be used at one time. Fear is the most irrational of all human emotions and we can not allow it to be an overriding facter in this debate.
    Believe me IF the natural progression of science is to include cloning, NOTHING WILL STOP IT FROM HAPPENING IN ANOTHER PART OF THE WORLD.
    Backward thinking in this area is preventing the U.S. from being on the LEADING EDGE of it's POSITIVE health potential. We DO NOT want to be behind the rest of the world on this potentail medical backthrough.
    We need to relax the band and move forward into the 21st Century.

September 9, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  19. Carl Justus

When a baby is born in a Petri dish, then I will concede it is a viable human being, until then I will call it what it is a few cells capable of becoming a baby if all the right things are done to it and it is put into a woman's body at the right place and at the right time.

Many women have these implanted into their bodies and get nothing by BROKE from all the promises they are given.

I want to hear what those who say they are absolutely against stem cell research tell me what they think about the four (400 plus) of the stem cells that are thrown in the trash and destroyed EACH MONTH. I have asked some who do not want stem cell research and they will stop the conversation immediately. They will say using them for research is destroying a human being, but they say ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT THOSE 400 PLUS THAT ARE TRASHED EACH MONTH.

So the only thing I can understand about the situation is that trashing them is not destroying a human, but using them to possibly cure many problem medical problems such as birth defects, spinal cord injuries, heart and other organ problems is destroying a human being.
    Until a avid advocate against stem cell research explains that to me in a manner that I can understand and will make sense, I say they are just against those who have terrible medical problems and do not want them to get better

September 9, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  20. sabdra

People should not be quiet just because she has a baby with downs syndrome and a pregnant teen age daughter. She must debate stem cell research and teen pregnancy. Welcome to the real world sarah and politics. It's not always polite. It comes with wanting to lead.

September 9, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  21. Keith COrnelius

Obam, needs to get his fact correct the Republicans have not been in controll the Democrats have been for the last two years...duh
    And all they have been is obstuctionists, the Democrats are more concerned about the party name and not the people of this country. For two years they had control and they have done nothing but sit back and watch the economy go in the tank, just so they can blame it on the republicans....that is not watching out for the people that is watching out for the party, which is also why as a DEMOCRAT I am VOTING FOR McCAIN/PALIN. The Deomcrats would not be in a neck and neck race if they chose Clinton but instead they had to go to the extreme (Liberalism) just like the Republicans did when Newt Gingrich was around the Republicans went to the extreme right...America smarten up already and vote for the individual and not the party...and in this case you take the lesser of two evils and that is McCain / Palin...none of the candidate can apeal to everybody's whininning, humanly impossible.. Please tell me when Obam has gone against his party for the good of the people vs the party you can't...I'll come back to being a democrat when PELOSI, REID and the nit job DEAN is gone...Ladies and gentlemen thos are the facts and I challenge anybody to say otherwise...without the name calling

September 9, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  22. Andy

This bozo is doing everything he can to ensure Hillary is put on the ticket. He will leave the ticket in October and Hillary will take his place. Come on, who doesn't see this coming?

September 9, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  23. Bill in Colorado

Joe is trying to grab just a few headlines from Gov Palin.....or is it crumbs?

September 9, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  24. No Way. No How. No McCain-Palin.

Sen. Biden is correct on this issue. The GOP has consistently voted against the interest of children with special needs. One word: hypocrisy.

September 9, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  25. Anonymous

I strongly support Obama/Biden, but I'm not sure this line of attack is in the ticket's best interest.

September 9, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |