September 9th, 2008

Is Palin influencing white women?

More white women support McCain-Palin than Obama-Biden.
More white women support McCain-Palin than Obama-Biden.

(CNN) – Did John McCain's selection of Sarah Palin as his running mate cause a major shift of white women toward the Republican presidential ticket?

Not according to the latest CNN/Opinion Research Corporation polls.

The pick of Palin, the first female Republican VP candidate, was designed in part to lure women voters to the GOP ticket, with McCain aides hoping a significant proportion of that voting bloc would identify with Palin's working-mom credentials.

But in a CNN/ORC survey released Monday, McCain drew 56 percent of support from registered white women - a statistically insignificant 3 points more than his support among that demographic in the week before he picked Palin as his VP.

Read full poll results [PDF]

"In CNN/Opinion Research Corporation polls, Barack Obama was losing white women before the conventions, and he's losing them now," CNN Polling Director Keating Holland said. "His problems with this important voting bloc didn't start when Sarah Palin joined the GOP ticket."

These numbers appear to contradict findings from a recently released Washington Post/ABC News poll that suggested the Arizona senator gained 20 points among white women after Palin joined the ticket and prompted several stories of the Illinois senator's new problem with this key demographic.

But the CNN/ORC poll indicates McCain is even more popular among white women than Palin is (69 vs. 65 percent approval) - evidence his support among that demographic may be attributed to his own appeal, not Palin's. Obama and Joe Biden are also popular with white women, though not to quite the same degree: 58 percent said they held a favorable view of Obama while 55 percent said the same of Biden in the latest poll.

"White women have a favorable view of Sarah Palin, but they have a favorable view of Barack Obama and Joe Biden as well," Holland said.

White women have been a key voting bloc in several recent elections, though their support has not always proved decisive. Al Gore won the popular vote while losing among white women in 2000, and Bill Clinton captured the White House in 1992 while managing only a tie with former President George H.W. Bush.

But in 2004 President Bush carried 55 percent of the white women vote, and 52 percent of women overall - a key reason he won his bid for a second term.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Extra • John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Johanna not voting GOP

This chick doesn't think global warming is a problem, she is scary!!!

From Ed Koch:

I have concluded that the country is safer in the hands of Barack Obama, leader of the Democratic Party and protector of the philosophy of that party. Protecting and defending the U.S. means more than defending us from foreign attacks. It includes defending the public with respect to their civil rights, civil liberties and other needs, e.g., national health insurance, the right of abortion, the continuation of Social Security, gay rights, other rights of privacy, fair progressive taxation and a host of other needs and rights.

If the vice president were ever called on to lead the country, there is no question in my mind that the experience and demonstrated judgment of Joe Biden is superior to that of Sarah Palin. Sarah Palin is a plucky, exciting candidate, but when her record is examined, she fails miserably with respect to her views on the domestic issues that are so important to the people of the U.S., and to me. Frankly, it would scare me if she were to succeed John McCain in the presidency.

September 9, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  2. Sylvia

Women who is supporting McCain must have a low IQ. McCain is hiding behind a skirt and Palin doing all the attacks. She is being used by McCain and these women do not see it. McCain is a coward.

September 9, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  3. Alex

Not any of the white women I know. They are highly insulted that McCain thought they would support a Republican Presdidency just because he chose a woman to be on his ticket. They were Hillary Supporters and he helped them decide which way to go. They're going with the ticket who respects the rights of women. That would be Obama/Biden and NOT McCain/Palin who would set Women's Rights back 50 years. I'm embarra s sed myself just knowing that he would stoop so low. No way this man should be in the White House. I don't trust his judgement or his word. No Way, No How, No McCain, No Palin.

September 9, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  4. Former Hillary Clinton Supporter

Not this White women. You know I saw a poll today that said white married women with kids are more likely to vote for Mcain/ Palin.
    I can't figure it out. I'm white, I have kids, I'm married, so is my sister , so is my mom, so is my sister inlaw and her sister inlaw and her inlaws and my mother inlaw, All my Aunts same.. We are all voting Obama. I want to know were they took this new poll.. It doesn't represent the white women I know.
    Were not dumb you know. ....
    Obama/ Biden 08

September 9, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  5. Rufus Paige

Barack Obama is change. McCain is the same. If we want to get out of this mess we need to vote for Barack Obama.

September 9, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  6. TD

In all my 44 years, I cannot believe that American Women are voting on a women's looks over the issues at hand. The polls are taking us back 30 years in showing that women are leaning towards Palin based on her looks and sarcastic tones. Come on American Women!!! Stand up for what you know is right...and she is by no means right on anything that I stand for. Not in 2008!!!

September 9, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  7. Carol

Not this white woman, or any of my friends or co-workers.

I think Boris and Natasha's 15 minutes are going to be over very soon.

September 9, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  8. Pascal

AND MCBUSH IS DANGEROUS! GOD FORBID HE WILL GET ELECTED. AMERICA WILL ENTER A NEW WAR WITH IRAN AND A NEW COLD WAR WITH RUSSIA. STOP THIS INSANITY!

September 9, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  9. Tamarra

People please look at the issues. It is clear that the only ticket with plans are Obama-Biden. Those who are scared of a black man don't think about race but the issues. The same who want to vote for a women. Don't look at her gender but at her lack of knowledge on the issues.

September 9, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  10. PUMA PALIN

PALIN POWER.....

It's all over for Obama... his vile, low rent attacks turned the tide... against him.

Obama/Biden... same old joke you don't laugh at anymore

September 9, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  11. Ms. P

Considering the medical conditions of John Mc Cain, I would like to
    know the Medical History of Sarah Palin. Know one is reporting this.

September 9, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  12. Polls Shmoolls

Forget all these polls... and isn't this like the 3rd one today regarding white women and palin?

The election will come down to intelligent out of the box thinkers vs. ignorant (some not by choice) closed minded thinkers.

September 9, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  13. Hillary 2012

Registered voters for demarcates 45 million

Registered voters for Republicans 31 Million

Attacking Sarah Palin is not working

Tying Mc Cain to Bush is not working

Mc Cain 08/ Palin 08

September 9, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  14. Tracy W.

I know more white women than not that do NOT agree with Sarah Palin's ideas. I am moving to Canada if Palin gets into office.

She is inexperienced, hypocritical and has extremely dangerous ideas. She wants to push her own religious beliefs onto all Americans which is not fair to anyone – has she heard of the seperation of church and state before? Apparently she doesn't care.

Be smart America... vote Obama/Biden.

September 9, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  15. Linda from AZ

Voters don't fall for MSM spin to try to get the ratings, look at the issues and where Obama and McCain stand.

DON'T FOLLOW THE SPIN..

Sooooooooo tried of hearing about Palin no meat just wall shadows.
    Come on get back to the real issues.

September 9, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  16. McSame & Failin

I'm sure John sings "I've Got You Babe" every night. Not going to happen. Thank God we don't have dictators, or we didnt' before George Bush.

Obama/Biden 08

September 9, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  17. Alex

Wow, this link couldn't be more misleading, and is sinking to a "new low".

September 9, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  18. Who cares

I am a white woman, a Hillary supporter and I will NOT vote for Obama. You Obma supporters are still trying to bully people into voting for Obama. You rule over NOBODY. I don't care about 2012, hell who knows where Hillary or any of us will be in 2012.

I am not voting for McCain because Palin is a white woman. I am voting for that ticket because Obama is not ready to lead. If he does not win I can see it now – HE LOST BECAUSE YOU ARE ALL RACIST BLAH BLAH BLAH. McCain/Palin is a strong ticket and they will be strong for all of us. Not wishy washy like Obama. Obama will also destroy us economically. McCain is the man and Palin is the woman!!

September 9, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  19. Celeste

'Lipstick on a pig, is just a pig wearing lipstick'. The change mantra on the Republicans......still the same old Republicans. They want another chance to drive the country further into destitution. Americans can fall for it again and fall further into the abyss of suffering.

September 9, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  20. Ship Bush To Saudi Arabia

Can we draft a petition to have George Bush move to Saudi Arabia with his buddies? He did more for them, than he did for us.

Obama/Biden 08

September 9, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  21. Jim

I know pollsters like to analyze voters' gender and ethnicities to explain elections. So President Bush carried 55 percent of the white women vote in 2004 — a key reason he won his bid for a second term!

But TWO TERMS of Bush/Cheney is enough! I still can't think of a single important issue on which McCain – and especially Palin – differ from Bush/Cheney, except personalities. Can anybody name one!

Let's resurrect the GOP's1940 election slogan: NO THIRD TERM!

Franklin D. Roosevelt complelty deserved a 3rd term, but not Bush/McCain!

September 9, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  22. No2RepubGimmicks

I don't know what's what anymore with this race...

Like the 2004 race, all I can do is support who I want to win and the rest is out of our hands.

If Americans are silly enough to put another set of Republicans in office, well then they get what they deserve....

Just like they thought another 4 years of Bush was a good idea...and then they turned around and complained about how bad a president he is.... once you cast that vote, it's too late to complain. We ALL just have to deal with the consequences.

That's why this whole discussion about "experience" is moot... Some times just having BRAINS goes a looonngg way. People just aren't being smart.

Ignorant people, supporting dimwitted candidates for the wrong reasons...then act shocked when things go wrong.... Good luck.

September 9, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  23. Talk about a non-issue

Way to make it about race and sex in one shot. Thanks CNN, but no thanks! If anything, Palin is turning stomachs across America!

September 9, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  24. Tom

With comments like "you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig", Obama is sure to lose even more women to McCain/Palin. And a donkey is still a donkey, right Obama? And you can put an insolent, sarcastic child in a suit but he's still a child.

September 9, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  25. KATHLEEN

These white women behind the fence? Are they old or just really
    stupid? Do they have kids. They are going to hand this government
    over to McCain Palin Bush Cheney.
    Palin was selected by Karl Rove!!!!

September 9, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |