September 9th, 2008

McCain camp launches ‘Palin Truth Squad’

McCain has launched the 'Palin Truth Squad' to dispel rumors about her.
McCain has launched the 'Palin Truth Squad' to dispel rumors about her.

(CNN) – John McCain’s campaign defended Sarah Palin Tuesday over a report that highlighted some of her travel expense claims as governor, and announced the launch of the “Palin Truth Squad” to fight future attacks on the VP nominee.

The Washington Post reported Tuesday that the Alaska governor had billed the state a per diem for 312 days she spent at home, and requested reimbursement for plane rides and hotel rooms for her husband and children, including a $707 room when her daughter accompanied her on a trip to New York to attend a Newsweek forum.

The paper noted that officials said the claims were justified under existing state regulations.

The McCain campaign said that Palin had reduced yearly travel expenses by roughly 80 percent of the amount spent by predecessor Frank Murkowski, in part by selling the governor’s private jet. Roughly half the $93,000 spent went to cover expenses incurred by her family. In a post on the campaign’s Web site, adviser Michael Goldfarb told supporters that Alaskans were paying “pennies on the dollar,” and accused the Washington Post of “hunting for ‘scandal.’”

“As governor of the state, Palin is expected to travel across Alaska to meet her constituents and attend community events. As a mother of five, she occasionally brought her children with her,” wrote Goldfarb. “Her travel-related activities have been appropriately documented, are completely transparent, and entirely legal. She also saved Alaskan taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars in the budgeting process and hundreds of thousands in cutting waste from her own office. It is an impressive record of reform by any measure.”

The McCain-Palin team has made her record on cost-cutting a central element of her vice presidential bid.

The campaign — which has been sending “fight the smears” e-mails whose tone echoes similar messages from Barack Obama’s campaign — also said staffers and major campaign surrogates at the state and national level were forming an official rapid response team that will respond to rumors about the Republican vice presidential nominee, sending alerts and campaign statements to voters and reporters.

“We will not allow those on the left and in the media to smear a woman who has always served her constituents with honor,” the campaign said in a statement. “We know the truth and are committed to ensuring it as well."

The McCain-Palin team has campaigned on media coverage that they describe as excessive or unfair.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. The Band Known as Heart

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Just making $ from the licensing fees to our song isn't enough!!!!! Now we want to kick start the last minute of our 15 minutes of fame!!!!!

Stop using our song or we'll sob openly some more!!!!!

September 9, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  2. Noelle, MN

I think the country should brace itself for the onslaught of Sarah Palin news. The reason is because she has NOT been vetted. If she had gone through the proper process, she would be able to get off the bus. But since the GOP want to play dirty, the press should give them a run for their money. They should not leave one stone, or in Sarah's case, airplane unturned until they get the truth. John McCain may not care about this country, but the press sure does.

Thank you news media–do your job and do it quickly. If the GOP has their way, we'll have mandatory prayer in every public school.

I believe in God, but I want my government separate, as our forefathers planned it

September 9, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  3. PALIN is "TALKING IN TONGUES"

So, according to this Republican logic if you save the state money you get to spend it on your own family?? Not a precedent I want in Congress.

Palin appears to be "talking in tongues" many of them, and all of them are getting tripped up by LIES!

September 9, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  4. real dem

For some reason it doesn't matter to the McCain/Palin supporters about them telling the truth.

1. Palin's vp nod was due to Hillary
    2. Now that Palin has become the vp Nominee, women are instead siding with her and McCain not because of issues but because of..
    a. She is a woman
    b. She may be able to overtake McCain in the future thus putting her
    in the white house
    c. Couldn't have Hillary ( who shares no polices with Palin ) so they
    go with a woman no matter the lies, deceit and Palin's history.
    3. Most of McCain/Palin's suppporters are ages 50ish and over
    Meaning there not ready for a Black President no matter what the
    issues are.

The question isn't Are you voting for O'bama because he's black? ( no, just another thought of a bush replica in the white house should be enough unless all is forgiven for the last 8 years..pathetic) it should be
    ARE YOU NOT VOTING FOR O'BAMA BECAUSE HE'S BLACK? Basically this is truth for alot of people but they won't say because there prejudice and racist and cowards.

O'bama/Biden 08-16

September 9, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  5. LOLz @ "Former Hillary supporter voting for Obama"

Do you take ALL your marching orders from the OBamabot fansite?

September 9, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  6. John

How original.
    End sarcasm.

September 9, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  7. real dem

1. Palin's vp nod was due to Hillary
    a. She is a woman
    b. She may be able to overtake McCain in the future thus putting her
    in the white house
    c. Couldn't have Hillary ( who shares no polices with Palin ) so they
    go with a woman no matter the lies, deceit and Palin's history.
    3. Most of McCain/Palin's suppporters are ages 50ish and over
    Meaning there not ready for a Black President no matter what the
    issues are.

O'bama/Biden 08-16

September 9, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  8. Pam

McCain looks like a corpse at a funeral in that picture.

September 9, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  9. LOLz @ "Former Hillary supporter voting for Obama"

Do you take ALL your marching orders from the OBamabot fansite? Bwaaahahaha!

September 9, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  10. Obama 08: White, 60 yr old female

No polls should be published or believed without the follwing accompanying them:

1. The wording of the questions asked.
    2. Breakdown of the Republicans, Democrats and Independents who were involved
    3. A breakdown of age, income and racial identity

With the sudden media attention to the white vote (funny how it was the black vote during the primaries; makes one wonder how racist the media is) it is paramount that polls indicate whether this demographic is the major focus of recent polls. As the press is fixated on this, it is only credible that this breakdown be included.

To refuse to accept anything else is manipulative of the polls and the election itself!

September 9, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  11. LS

I can't believe McCain supporters actually think they stand a chance.

I somewhat feel bad for you people. Knowing that the ignorance you people carry around all day long – will never pay itself off.

And I mean that in a nice way.

Thanks

September 9, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  12. Marie C.

What a bunch of idiots. John McCain, please get your pitbull out of our country.

September 9, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  13. Tina, TX

Of 18,000,000 former Hillary supporters: 47% will rally behind Obama, 23% undecided, and 30% WILL VOTE FOR JOHN MCCAIN. I am one of them!!!!! This figure stays the same since February!

September 9, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  14. Venus

Pit Bull-Swift-Boat!

Check mate! Game Ovar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How's that bounce McSame?

Boy... when he crash it is going to HURT!

Yes! I have waited for this all day! I was on the blog last night and it was slowing coming to life!

The world is getting ready to see what this woman is! EVIL!!!

September 9, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  15. Mikey

Palin truth squad??????????

After she set the record for consecutive lies by a newly nominated VP candidate, this surely seems like an oximoron.

To Scott, Wichita September 9th, 2008 5:28 pm ET
    "I challenge anyone to go on a travel site and find a price cheaper than $185 a night in fairbanks. that was for a motel 8"
    ______________________________________________
    You lose! Try a suite at Spring Hill Suites (Marriott) in Fairbanks at $104 per night – you don't even need a second room for your daughter!
    Took me about 1 minute and searched only one chain of hotels.

September 9, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  16. Pam

Penn Voter September 9th, 2008 4:48 pm ET

If you have been to Alaska, you would find out that flying from town to town is how things as achieved.

Has Obama ever gone to Alaska?
    _______________________________

Has Palin ever gone to Illinois?

September 9, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  17. Put OUR money where YOUR mouth is, Sarah

Oh, please.

That line she spews "cut my own salary which didn't make my husband too happy"?

What she ISN'T SAYING is that yes... she cut her salary AS MAYOR of Wasilla from $68,000.00 to $64,000.00 BUT then she hired a city administrator at $60,000.00 to "help" her do her own job.

Is it me or does $68,000.00 – $64,000.00 + $60,000.00 = a net cost of an extra $56,000.00? I mean... I DID go to just ONE college, but I think I got the math down.

As Governor, she makes roughly $125,000.00 a year (plus, obviously, per diem pay backs at another $43,293.20, though some of that was for her children and husband traveling and lodging).

And that Bridge to Nowhere? If she's so scornful of that money the state got (roughly $400,000,000.00+ in funds)... GIVE IT BACK.

Sign the petition and ask the State of Alaska and Sarah Palin to put OUR money where HER mouth is!

And for further reference, in case you have a question about her stance on the issues she deemed to answer:

September 9, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  18. Double Standards

So let me get this straight .... would the US taxpayer be paying for Palin to drag her brood around the country ... the world to meet with foreign leaders.

Are the pregnant teenage parents going to move in with the 'in-laws"?

September 9, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  19. Gail

This is just getting too laughable – what a circus the GOP has become that they are afraid of their own lies.

I'm so glad America is paying attention and will not let this happen again.

I LOVE AMERICA!!

September 9, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  20. Quinn - Houston, Texas

This is a truth squad to make sure that Sarah stops lying right?

Ever since she was announced as VP, all she has done is tell lies on a stage.

If she does a real interview (Charles Gibson is a partisan hack...he doesn't count), maybe we can get to the truth.

September 9, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  21. Emster

I agree that we should focus on the issues – and one of those issues is McCain's poor judgement. He rushed into a risky decision on his VP pick without properly vetting her. And if that wasn't poor judgement enough – he lied repeatedly about her accomplishments. Now we're finding out all of the lies, stretches, distortions and exaggerations that we were told about her. If she had been properly vetted and introduced with honesty, we wouldn't be trying to sort through all this mess. It's just one more in a long line of poor judgements from McCain. Let's keep this discussion focused on the candidate – and how his risk-taking and poor judgement reflects on his character.

September 9, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  22. eric l

COME ON AMERICA OUR WE THAT DUMB. EVERYTIME A REPORTER TRYS TO FIND OUT THE TRUTH ABOUT HER THEY ARE CALL SEXIST. SHE IS SO FAR TO THE RIGHT IT LIKE SHE LIVING IN THE 40'S. WHAT IS HER STANCE I WANT TO KNOW. I DONT CARE ABOUT BEING A HOCKEY MOM OR ABOUT HER FAMILY WHERE DO SHE STAND. MCSAME IS NOT THE FITTEST PERSON IN THE WORLD AND SHE MIGHT BE PRESIDENT. BUT I THINK ENOUGH SMART PEOPLE WILL VOTE SO THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

OBAMA/BIDEN 08-16

September 9, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  23. Just a Canadian

i know you won't care about my views cause i'm Canadian but i just want to say a few things...

2000 the election was stolen by Bush..ok..come 2004 we thought there was no way in heck he would be elected again!! We were wrong and now it scares me to death that you are even considering electing Mcain/Palin!!...i see WW3 coming and if not that a war with Iran..North Korea..

just a question...isn't your VP in charge of NASA??? i'm pretty sure that ia a sientific entity..so what will Palin do??? scrap NASA???

PLEASE FOR THE SAKE OF THE WORLD VOTE OBAMA!!

September 9, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  24. Jenny, Rio Vista, CA

Instead of "Truth Squad", perhaps Palin herself could answer these questions. Oops! I forgot. The media has been so mean to the pitbull with lipstick so she is hiding away. Poor poor Palin.

Why does the republicans need a "truth sqad". Didn't they get the answers to these questions when she was so thoroughly vetted?

Perhaps Charlie "softball" Gibson will ask her some serious questions.... However, I am not holding my breath. Look at the personal questions that Stephanopolis and he concentrated on during the Hillary vs Barack debate. Charlie Gibson used to be a respected journalist, now he is in the same category as Brit Hume.

September 9, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  25. Kate

CNN STOP CENSORING ME! am a working mother of 2 with a condo I managed to scrape everything together to buy 2 years ago that is losing value every minute, with my credit rating sinking right along with it. Medical bills, gas prices, grocery prices! I'm not just on the brink of misery, I'm holding on by my fingertips to keep from falling off the cliff. And I have a good job – with benefits. And here is what really knocked me back on my heels: McCain plans on taxing my employer-paid medical benefits as income. That"s right. My benefit premiums paid by my employer become income and he taxes them! I"m not rich. I will go under. I will have to opt out of the insurance to avoid those taxes & keep my home. A lot of people will. Talk about increasing the uninsured! Does this plan help working families like me? Who cares about Palin's past – it's my future I'm worried about.

September 9, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |