September 9th, 2008

Ron Paul to announce presidential endorsement plans

Ron Paul is urging his supporters to pick a third party candidate.
Ron Paul is urging his supporters to pick a third party candidate.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Texas Republican Rep. Ron Paul will call on supporters to back a third party candidate for president Wednesday, rejecting his own party’s nominee and offering equally harsh words for the Democratic candidate.

Paul, who unsuccessfully sought the Republican presidential nomination, will tell supporters he is not endorsing GOP nominee John McCain or Democratic nominee Barack Obama, and will instead give his seal of approval to four candidates: Green Party nominee Cynthia McKinney, Libertarian Party nominee Bob Barr, independent candidate Ralph Nader, and Constitution Party candidate Chuck Baldwin, according to a senior Paul aide.

The announcement will take place in the morning at the National Press Club in the nation’s capital.

While Paul failed in his bid for the Republican nomination, he found a large, diverse audience for his anti-war and anti-tax messages. The Texas congressman’s campaign was fueled by a successful on-line grassroots fundraising operation. Throughout the campaign, Paul supporters called on others to join the “Ron Paul Revolution.”

Paul will offer this open endorsement to the four candidates because each has signed onto a policy statement that calls for “balancing budgets, bring troops home, personal liberties and investigating the Federal Reserve,” the Paul aide said.

Filed under: John McCain • Ron Paul
  1. KATHLEEN

When you can really stand up and say you are a Republican or
    with entirely Republican ideas, and you don't put a paper bag over
    your head these days, you are NO different and have the SAME ideals.
    Now, there is one difference, what you say is in a very soft spoken tone. Otherwise, if we, the people, listen carefully, Ron Paul, is
    Republican that is for NO BIG GOVERNMENT! Which means, you
    are on your own, even though you paid into S.S. all those years and
    that is all we hear, is YOU, FOLKS are on your own, even though
    we shipped your jobs overseas! Health insurance is $12,000 a year
    for a small family and who profits-Big Corporations. Raise the gas
    sky high and never apologize to the American People because you,
    the Reps, know that McCain voted against Minimum Wage 9 or 19
    times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No Big Government. We take the jobs, give tax
    breaks to Big Corporations and let Them like WAL MART make Billions
    of Dollars a month.

September 9, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  2. Shalini Bhatia / NJ

Ron Paul for President

September 9, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  3. Anonymous

How is it you guys at CNN never cared what Ron Paul thought before Palin shook thing up in this race.

Your stories of the past week are nothing more than stories that only stir the pot of hate and lies against Gov Palin.

Your must want McCain to win because all this hate is only helping the right and rallying them against the left and their smear machine.

Another nail in the coffin of the media and its bias.

Are you the Forth Estate or the fifth column?

September 9, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  4. RON PAUL YOUR 15 MINUTES IS UP

And exactly why should anyone care about what he does or does not do?

September 9, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  5. jed

Ron better luck next time

September 9, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  6. Zac, Atlanta

It's sad he's has to spell it out. Yes, there are other candidates. Too many people disillusioned with the process, from Paulites to Clintonistas, are threatening to "stay home" on election day. Frankly, there just isn't an excuse for that.

Participate! The democracy you get is the one you create.

September 9, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  7. The Austrian

It would be best if he would nominate himself...

I love all the ingorant folk here who think they are witty by posting such asinine comments as "who?" or "go back to your cave." Ron Paul's bid for presidency and his subsequent Campaign for Liberty is gathering speed like a tropical storm in the Atlantic. And soon the Hurricane will hit and all of these naysayers who REFUSED to see the clouds on the horizon will simply be swept aside as the real conservatives take their party back.

September 9, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  8. Ian Minneapolis, MN

This is the man who should be president. A constitutional genius is in our midst and not many people discovered him until it was too late. I pray for his return in 2012, and will be campaigning and donating as much as possible. Ron, I'll be keeping a close watch. You are one of the only true American Politicians left in this day and age, and I tip my hat to you sirrrrrrrrr. Thanks for your wisdom and inspiration!

By the way your convention in Minneapolis was AMAZING!!!!!!

September 9, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  9. Gerry

Looking at the RealClear poll of polls on the Internet I find that when the contest is Obama vs. McCain (with Barr, and Nader), Obama is ahead by 3.4% in the popular vote. Obama is ahead and has been so for several days in the Electoral College vote. Ya all should remember how Obama beat Clinton. Obama won because he worked the numbers in the delegate count. Obama won more delegates than did Clinton and thereby won the nomination. Obama is doing the same thing in the Electoral College vote. Obama is winning there, not McCain. Remember who elects the president. It is the Electoral College that elects the president. Obama is working the numbers again and will become the next POTUS.

September 9, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  10. Ex-Republican for Obama

A man with some sense. Can't endorse his own party.

His suggestion, for those who do not like their own party to vote for a third party, is a good one. I'm voting Obama, but I don't consider ANY vote wasted, if we can reach a three party system, or better yet, a NO party system, it will only serve to improve the quality we are given every four years. We have the quality in the Obama/Biden ticket this year fortunately, but that has not been the case in years past.

By all means, if you don't like either of the main candidates...support a third party, the vote does count, because it sends a message that you are getting fed up with too few choices.

September 9, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  11. "smart" in America

I remember how people reacted when Bush was elected in 2000 – How could 50,000,000 people be so "smart"?! Guess what – there was even more "good" news in 2004 – the number of "smart" people grew by >20%(!) to 62,000,000! I'm sure you can't wait to know who are those 62,000,000 "smart" people – well, your wait is over:

93% of republicans (well, that's totally expected)
    86% of individuals for whom terrorism is the most important issue
    (simply terrific job by Cheney&Rove)
    85% of individuals who supported war in Iraq (sure, we are over there for a good reason)
    84% of conservatives (by definition they have no new ideas – again, expected)
    63% of gun owners (afraid that unless big daddy (Bush/Cheney/McCain) will protect them, someone else will take away their toys)
    58% of individuals making > $100,000 per year (don't wonna pay more taxes)

Yes, "smart" in America did it in 2000 and 2004 – will they do it again in 2008?!!!

September 9, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  12. KATHLEEN

Ron Paul SHOULD endorse Barrack Obama. Really he SHOULD!
    It will for sure tell us whether he is a Republican or a Democrat!
    He ran on the Republican ticket! so what makes anyone think he
    would endorse Obama. When he was running, he mumbled NO
    BIG GOVERNMENT STANDING SIDE BY SIDE WITH BUSH-REPUBLICANS!

September 9, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  13. Osita Oo Nwoye

Can we get serious please!

September 9, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  14. Ugh

If Obama really called Palin a pig, then I think the people of America should call him a complete loser. I find that hard to believe that he would be so stupid as to do that, but then he is not what I would call a mental giant by no means. Obama must be running scared of her to stoop to calling her names. To think this guy just might be our next President. And you say you love Obama??? Yuk!!!

September 9, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  15. Janeen

The way the Republican party treated this man is a disgrace to our democratic election process.
    Some of his supporters reported when they went to vote for him. He was removed from some states ballots. They were told he dropped out when in fact he didn't.
    That is disgraceful ..This is not A coronation.This is a DEMOCRACY..I hope!
    He was the most out spoken candidate about ending Iraq..And he also recieved the most donations from our troops overses than any other candidate.
    He deseves our repsect and not ridicule.

September 9, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  16. Kate

I think Ron Paul is man of great courage. I look forward to what he has to say and I hope he continues in the courageous path he has forged thus far. And I hope he points out that McCain is just a tax and spend Republican. He plans on taxing my employer-paid medical benefits as income to pay for his endless war. That"s right. My benefit premiums paid by my employer become income and he taxes them! I"m not rich. I will go under. I will have to opt out of the insurance to avoid those taxes & keep my home. A lot of people will. Talk about increasing the uninsured! Does this plan help working families like me? I hope Ron Paul speaks the truth.

September 9, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  17. gc

Ron Paul would be a true reformer as the Republican Candiadate. IF that was what republicans wanted, Paul would be their nominee. Instead the RNC embraced a candidate who has caved to extremist industry and social lobbies.

I would vote for Paul et al, if I thought it would get the RNC bums out of DC.

GC

September 9, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  18. Rob

Why in the hell would a former Ron Paul supporter throw his/her support behind Obama/Biden?

"If you really want to support the candidate that is for balancing budgets, bringing troops home, personal liberties, and investigating the Federal Reserve and has a chance of winning, you should back Barack Obama."
    –Tony

Obama doesn't stand for these things. He's flip-flopped on Iran, he voted for retroactive telecom immunity, and has never seriously mentioned investigating the federal reserve. Pretty much the only quality that you mentioned that he actually posses is a good shot at winning. Both Obama and McCain preach distinctly different messages from Ron Paul, and thus he can't, in good conscience, throw his support behind either major party candidate. However, I do believe that endorsing all third party candidates is a wasted and ultimately meaningless gesture. The only redeeming quality shared by the different third party candidates is that they present an alternative to the two devious faces of the political coin that constitute the Democratic and Republican parties.

September 9, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  19. The Nightingale Sings in Berkley Square

Ron give it up. You are a rabble rouser. You lost and now it is time for you to dismount and get off the world stage.

You are a distraction and not a serious candidate. Move on Ron and get on board the "Straight Talk Express."

September 9, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  20. Michael James

Ron Paul is as crazy as all his supporters. How can he endorse both the libertarian party candidate and the green party candidate??? I bet that makes a lot of sense in his mind.

Hopefully voters in Texas in 2 years will come to their senses and get this nut out of Congress.

September 9, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  21. FactCheck

I am an Obama supporter but I am very happy to see this from Ron Paul. If no one challenges the establishment than we will all go to h*ll in a hand bucket (Bush/Cheney have already nearly taken us there). He has earned my respect.

September 9, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  22. Unempressed

Probably the first Republican I've been impressed with – pretty smart and genuine man. I especially liked:

Anti-war (aka DIPLOMACY! (which should take as much credit as any "surge" did)

How's that Mr "pro-life, pro-draft, pro-death penalty" McCain!

September 9, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  23. WILL WORK FOR PEACE

Those of you who think Obama will bring peace are sadly mistaken. We have troops in over 700 countries and bases in 130. Obama won't touch that. Look at the federal deficit and then look at what each candidate proposes. Can we afford Obama or McCain?

September 9, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  24. Ikes11

I think that Ron Paul is being devisive so that Barak Obama will get split votes and he really wants McCain to win. Why on earth would he go against his party. I tell you that this is going to come down to the basic level and let's not make it about color lets get some change going. I really don't think that Ron Paul's candidate will win either but he I believe wants to make it much more difficult for someone who wants change and Washington is afraid of this and they will do anything not to have Barak in there. I know my US history and this is the devisiveness that is holding America back and don't think that the world isn't watching. I think that if we vote in the lame duck candidate John McCain who will only committ for one term given his current age I don't think that we will get what we need for real change with Sara either because she will be considered an outsider and you don't shake up washington with her current resume. Just comments from the informed.

September 9, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  25. Bashing Ron Paul

You Republican are just silly children. You don't have any substance to add to your comments so you just bash and keep bashing. Knowing full well you candidate has no experience or and it's beginning to become clear no morals when it comes to telling the truth, half truths don't count.

She's like a puppet repeat the same lies from her convention speech.

September 9, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |