September 10th, 2008

Biden: Second wife 'restored my life' after tragedy

CNN

Watch this clip from this weekend's CNN Presents special about Sen. Biden.

(CNN) - An emotional Joe Biden told CNN’s Amy Boudreau his wife Jill “restored my life” after the death of his wife and infant daughter in an accident.

“I asked her once not long before our wedding how she could marry me knowing how much –” the Delaware senator said said, and paused for several seconds.

“…Knowing how much I adored Neilia. And she didn’t hesitate. She said, quote, That’s the reason I can marry you, she told me. Anybody who loved that deeply once can do it again.

“That’s when I realized exactly how much Jill’s love had done for me – it had given me permission to be me again.”

Biden paused again to collect himself. “God, I’m sorry,” he said. “But she did, I mean she restored my life. I know that sounds corny but she really did.”

Watch Abby Boudreau’s full interview with the Democratic vice presidential nominee this weekend on CNN

Filed under: Joe Biden
  1. Cynthia Estrada

Its certainly a better love story than the McCain story with Cindy McCain (his 2nd wife). McCains relationship with his 2nd wife seems somewhat dishonorable. McCain started this relationship while he was still married to his first wife. Good for Biden!

September 10, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  2. Paul

God bless him...and his family.

September 10, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  3. Nya in Portland, OR

That is no nice to hear a man honor his wife so wonderfully.

September 10, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  4. Kevin - Jonesboro, GA

Regardless of party, you could feel Biden's pain and love come through.

September 10, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  5. ashupasu

now thats family values, man.

And why did Palin not go to the hospital when her water broke...instead gave a speech and then flew to Alaska..a stopover on the way. Didnt get care in Anchorage but went to Wasilla and delivered Trig one hour after reaching.
    What kind of mom would do that knowing:
    1, baby has down syndrome
    2, Preterm
    3, Late age pregnancy

And then go back to work three days later. The baby wasnt even released from the hospital(or sue the doc if he did release a down syndrome child too early)

Hmmmmm and the answers...

September 10, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  6. Lori

What a decent man and he will make a great VP not only with his strong knowledge of the issues but with his strong family values. His son was right they got married the whole family.

September 10, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  7. katrina

Wow. Sounds unrehearsed, genuine, unscripted. Moving in the way no stump speech ever is.

September 10, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  8. Jennifer

He his a good, good man.

September 10, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  9. Farrell, Houston, Tx

What a man Joe Biden is loving his wife and family until her unfortunate death. Can't say that about McCain who married a beauty queen that later suffered a tradgic accident that left her disabled and Johnny Boy himself returns homes disabled and ditched her for so many other women until he met the rich Cindy McCain. And get this, he was still married when he applied for a marriage license to Cindy. Well so much for McCain's support of Americans with disabilities because he dumped his disabled wife like a low life would do. Doesn't that tell people something about Palin's value system, after all she's a woman with a disabled son.

September 10, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  10. sick and tired

Joe Biden is a man of integrity and real charm. I hope and pray he will be our VP. The other team is showing how little integrity plays in every decision they make. If this country can't see thru this garbage going on in this McCain/Rove #3 campaign, this country is doomed.

If you watched Jim Cramer talk on the economy the other day, you know how close we are to a great depression. John McCain didn't agree with the bail out of Fannie and Freddie, but has now said he does of course but that he will save us from more bail outs. Jim said that if we let F&F fail or if we let any of the big three auto makers fail, we will see our economy fall to levels of 1932. That is how close we are to our country loosing everything. John McCain is so insistent on low taxes that he can't see the forest for the trees. We have to have more tax money to stablize this country or we are in for some real bad times. These are bad enough but won't even compare.

September 11, 2008 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  11. Ellie

Dude, right on there borhetr.

June 23, 2011 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |