September 10th, 2008

Biden: Second wife 'restored my life' after tragedy

CNN

Watch this clip from this weekend's CNN Presents special about Sen. Biden.

(CNN) - An emotional Joe Biden told CNN’s Amy Boudreau his wife Jill “restored my life” after the death of his wife and infant daughter in an accident.

“I asked her once not long before our wedding how she could marry me knowing how much –” the Delaware senator said said, and paused for several seconds.

“…Knowing how much I adored Neilia. And she didn’t hesitate. She said, quote, That’s the reason I can marry you, she told me. Anybody who loved that deeply once can do it again.

“That’s when I realized exactly how much Jill’s love had done for me – it had given me permission to be me again.”

Biden paused again to collect himself. “God, I’m sorry,” he said. “But she did, I mean she restored my life. I know that sounds corny but she really did.”

Watch Abby Boudreau’s full interview with the Democratic vice presidential nominee this weekend on CNN

Filed under: Joe Biden
  1. Fox/Albuquerque NM

It be so emotional I can hell the courage in this man to say this.

September 10, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  2. NVMan

A moving story, but I am still voting for McCain/Palin. I wish Biden good luck after Nov.

September 10, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  3. Lori

I can't wait for Obama and Biden to get into the White House.

September 10, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  4. william

May God Bless Joe and his family!

September 10, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  5. Ex-Republican for Obama

Mr. Biden,

You are the definition of true blue!! I would storm hell with a table fork for a person of your integrity and honor.

Thank you for being american!

September 10, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  6. republicans hate america

McCain said the same thing about Cindy when he dumped his first wife

September 10, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  7. Cam

Wow, now that is what I call a humble man. Putting aside all the political rhetoric for a minute, I think even Republicans have to admit that there is no way to attack the man about a statement like that.......

On the political front, who do you want as your VP, a heartbeat away from the Presidency? Someone who refuses to admit even when they are openly lying or someone who would admit that other people and their impact on our lives can have a profound impact on us? Ask yourselves America, you only get one chance at this.

September 10, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  8. Jewel - Atlanta

We will finally have two couples in the White House that don't believe in cheating on their spouses.

This is what America needs...we are loosing all our morals and values.

WE DON'T NEED MCCAIN/PALIN...totally the opposite.

September 10, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  9. Marg

This is a genuine choice for VP. A man with heart, with true respect and love for the women in his life. He has proven to be a true fighter for women and their rights. Sometimes it doesn't always take a woman to fight for us, this man will do it also.

September 10, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  10. Anonymous

Hillary tried the whole 'crying game' in front of a camera. I am not saying his feelings aren't genuine. This just seems too much like what Hillary tried to get sympathy and make him more 'real' to voters.

Not trying to be mean but with all news stories today in the race is Biden chocking up in front of a camera news.

I do feel for you sir and the loss of any loved one is a hard thing to deal with and recover from.

September 10, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  11. JusLaugh

Joe Biden is truly a wonderful human being. I am more impressed with him every time I read about him or hear him speak.

September 10, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  12. GO JOE!

Oh I love Joe

September 10, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  13. bert

I really believe there is something special about this ticket that the dems have put together with Obama and Biden. We as American no matter which party we represent we should have an appreciation for Obama and Biden and the opportunity to really things done that will affect all of us in a positive way. I am proud to be an American and even prouder of the opportunities that are on the horizon with a Obama/ Biden White House

September 10, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  14. Sifa

Sorry for the tragedy, Sen. Biden. Thank God for sending Jill your way. May God continue to bless you and your family.

September 10, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  15. karen layne

You have the luck of the Irish Joe, God has truly blessed you and
    our Country. Give em hell !

September 10, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  16. Cynthia

God bless him. He seems to be a very nice man and will make a great Vice President.

September 10, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  17. Sarah Bell

You're the man Joe. Don't ever let anyone tell you different. America is lucky to have you.

September 10, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  18. Sherry, Atlanta

YOUR A GOOD MAN, JOE.

September 10, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  19. But, but...

Executive experience restored Palin's life.

September 10, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  20. David Goldman

JILL BIDEN NOT ONLY IS AN INCREDIBLE

EDUCATOR, WIFE & MOTHER BUT IS THE HOLDER

OF FOUR DEGREES INCLUDING A DOCTORATE.

BETWEEN THE OBAMAS & THE BIDENS, THEY HOLD

FOUR DOCTORATE DEGREES & 3 PROFESSORSHIPS.

BETWEEN THE MCSENILE & PALIN, THEY HOLD NONE

OF THE ABOVE & NO OTHER KIND OF VERIFIABLE INTELLECT.

September 10, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  21. Watch this!!!

All Palin talks about is family, family, family!!! Watch how Joe get treated for talking about the same things.

I mom is thinking about running for VP. She was a baseball mom, with five kids and a budget. Sure she doesn't have any political experience but you guys like sports mom right? Who cares if she can't run the country or have any ideas about how to help America out of this mess.

MY MOM FOR VP!!!

September 10, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  22. Watch this!!!

All Palin talks about is family, family, family!!! Watch how Joe gets treated for talking about the same things.

My mom is thinking about running for VP. She was a baseball mom, with five kids and a budget. Sure she doesn't have any political experience but you guys like sports mom right? Who cares if she can't run the country or have any ideas about how to help America out of this mess.

MY MOM FOR VP!!!

September 10, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  23. Joe Is Great, John Is Too Late

I really like Joe Biden. What a great American. He seems like a great dad, granddad, the whole works. Unlike John McCain, Joe is the real hero. When he lost his wife, he stepped up to the plate and took care of his boys. He didn't leave them for a roll in the hay with Cindy Lou.

A real man stays with his family. A real man doesn't ditch them for a younger woman with money. A real man doesn't leave his first wife, who had just been in an accident with three minor children. But we all know what kind of man John is...one who puts himself first, not his country, or his family. He's a weasle of a guy who selfishly thought of himself rather than live up to his responsibilities. This man doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the White House. Cindy Lou will be the first mistress. The stench of their past will follow them into the White House. It's shameful.

September 10, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  24. Joe Is Great, John Is Not

I really like Joe Biden. What a great American. He seems like a great dad, granddad, the whole works. Unlike John McCain, Joe is the real hero. When he lost his wife, he stepped up to the plate and took care of his boys. He didn't leave them for a roll in the hay with a younger woman.

A real man stays with his family. A real man doesn't ditch them for a younger woman with money. A real man doesn't leave his first wife, who had just been in an accident with three minor children. But we all know what kind of man John is…one who puts himself first, not his country, or his family. He's a weasle of a guy who selfishly thought of himself rather than live up to his responsibilities. This man doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the White House. Cindy Lou will be the first mistress. The stench of their past will follow them into the White House. It's shameful.

September 10, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |