September 10th, 2008

Biden: Second wife 'restored my life' after tragedy

CNN

Watch this clip from this weekend's CNN Presents special about Sen. Biden.

(CNN) - An emotional Joe Biden told CNN’s Amy Boudreau his wife Jill “restored my life” after the death of his wife and infant daughter in an accident.

“I asked her once not long before our wedding how she could marry me knowing how much –” the Delaware senator said said, and paused for several seconds.

“…Knowing how much I adored Neilia. And she didn’t hesitate. She said, quote, That’s the reason I can marry you, she told me. Anybody who loved that deeply once can do it again.

“That’s when I realized exactly how much Jill’s love had done for me – it had given me permission to be me again.”

Biden paused again to collect himself. “God, I’m sorry,” he said. “But she did, I mean she restored my life. I know that sounds corny but she really did.”

Watch Abby Boudreau’s full interview with the Democratic vice presidential nominee this weekend on CNN

Filed under: Joe Biden
  1. Cecil

A SuperDad!

September 10, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  2. Biden Fan

His first wife's name was Neilia, not Amelia.

September 10, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  3. Helen,Ft Lauderdale

Joe Biden is a genuine, honorable, down-to-earth, beautiful man. No hypocrisy. What you see is what you get.

September 10, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  4. wani

This is a man of great value and seems highly genuine. A rare quality in politicians these day.

Obama/Biden 2008!

September 10, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  5. ABG

Joe Biden is a great guy who loves America, his family and truly deserves to be Vice President!

September 10, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  6. The vp became the first lady.......oops

This is a picture of honour.
    This is what respect for womanhood is all about.
    This is what every sensible woman wants.
    not being exploited by McCain, he is an expert in exploiting women!!

September 10, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  7. election watcher

As a lifelong Democrat I think it's a shame Biden wasn't the Democrat nominee. I'd vote for him in a heartbeat, but I couldn't vote for Obama in a million years.

September 10, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  8. janine

I'm surprised the media hasn't come out about McCain's first wife and how she was ditched by John after her accident. And then John's mother sued his first wife. Wow! And women are lining up to vote for him.

September 10, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  9. aware

Biden has chosen a hard path as VP to Obama!

The two senators lack balance an cohesiveness!

McCain/Palin 08! Senator McCain and Governor Palin will deliver authentic reform with integrity! They are the change agents Americans can believe in! :)

September 10, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  10. Mrs. Texas Teacher

I'm a widow. I understand Biden's words completely. When you have had a wonderful relationship with someone you loved so much, and knew that you were loved the same; it's hard to try to start over. I think you are very very lucky to find it again. I was willing to give the same kind of love that I had given to my late husband, after I had time to ease some of the mourning with time.

But you know what, I did not find one man who could trust that. They were so burned from divorce and cynical that they either would not or could not trust that I could love again the same way. I finally just gave up. My husband was a hard act to follow, but I was willing to try gain. Now I feel like I was very very lucky to have found that kind of love ONCE, let alone twice. I'm glad it worked again for someone. :)

September 10, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  11. aware

Great emotional story but not as powerful as McCain's POW story!

Biden has chosen a hard path as VP to Obama! Obama is not on the same track as Biden at all. Obama is a user who will throw anyone under the bus when he is finished with them! :(

The two senators lack balance and cohesiveness!

September 10, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  12. GO JOE!!!

Joe is a great guy. He is the perfect VP for Barack Obama. These are people that really care and will be great leaders. I just hope America realizes that before its too late!

Obama/Biden '08

September 10, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  13. Newly Minted Independent

Senator, with all due respect, you can't play this game.

Stick to politics and not the sweet Oprah moments. It's beneath you.

September 10, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  14. Barbara

Wouldn't it be nice to have 2 loving families in the White House?

Barack and Michelle
    Joe and Jill
    2008

September 10, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  15. Eleanor

Joe biden is a good person a good senator
    adversity has made him stronger and a man of integrity and devotion
    to his family and career
    he is a much more dependable and experienced choice for VP
    than Palin could ever be!!

September 10, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  16. Rebecca

This man will be an incredible Vice President for the United States....AND.... I feel very confident he wil be ready to be Pesident on day one if ever necessary!!

September 10, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  17. Tom in Delaware

It's good that Joe found happiness...so should we all.

September 10, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  18. Lindsay in CA

Oh....I love Joe Biden. What an honorable man. He was my early favorite in the primaries, and I'm so happy that he will be our next VP.

September 10, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  19. 4Obama

Joe, I'm really loving you these days.

September 10, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  20. Regina

Oh Mr. Joe, Mr. Joe! What a man you are! What a great Vice President you will be. My heart goes out to you.

Obama/Biden 08!

September 10, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  21. Obama08

I love Joe Biden.

September 10, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  22. Barbara

You're the best in VP position – we need foreign affairs experience (picture puppet palin or mcwarmonger with the hostile nations – ww3)

You hang in there Joe. We need your foreign affairs experience.

Obama/Biden '08

September 10, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  23. JackAth

Maybe it wouldnt kill the Obama-Biden campaign to run on a little biography to combat McCain-Palin's stories. Obama has an amazing personal story, and Biden has the emotional family devotion that truly moves people just as much so as Governor Palin's does. The Obama campaign needs to stop dismissing the focus on stories and personalities and get in their own 2 cents.

September 10, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  24. Susan

I have great respect for Joe Biden's personal story, as well as Barak Obama's. There's a decency to the Democratic ticket that is sorely lacking on the Republican ticket.

September 10, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  25. from ohio

Yes..I agreed with MaCain=the draft.

Once cheater always cheater. It tells McCain's character!

Forget about he being the president leading this country.

GO OBAMA/BIDEN008!!!