September 10th, 2008

Biden starting debate prep

Biden is preparing to Debate Palin.
Biden is preparing to Debate Palin.

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) - Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm has been tapped to help Joe Biden as he prepares to take on GOP rival Sarah Palin in the upcoming vice presidential debate.

Granholm will spend four days helping Biden sharpen his skills before he faces off with Palin October 2.

At a fundraiser Tuesday night, Biden told supporters debating Palin would be tricky.

“Folks look, I know what she’s going to try to do. She’s going to try to make it as personal as she can. She’s going to take a lot of straight lefts and jabs at me, she’s going to try to get me to respond, she’s going to try to get me to respond in a personal way," Biden said. "That’s not my style. I’m not going to do it.”

Instead, Biden said he would "try very hard" to keep the focus on health care, the struggling economy and foreign policy.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Joe Biden
  1. Judy in Minnesota

I'm so sick of the Republican hacks that think it's ok for them to say anything they want to and call it "funny" or "just politics" but when the Democrats turn the tables on them, it's "a new low" or "shameful and disgusting".
    When is the American public going to wise up?

September 10, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  2. arrowrod

Go Joe. Ask Palin one of your famous questions. A ten minute wandering speech that leaves listeners wondering what your point was.

I can't help myself, I try to be civil, but Joe your just a blowhard.

The debate is going to be brutal.

By the way, what is your "jobs" program?

September 10, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  3. sensible Cape Coral FL

Good Luck, Joe !

September 10, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  4. angie - dallas -28

you got this JOE!!!!!!!!

keep on the issues that's what the american people want.
    talk to the young people about Obama's plan for FREE COMMUNITY COLLEGE or a 4,000.00 CREDIT towards anyone who is going to school to teach. Obama does want young people to make a difference and here's the proof!!!!!!!

September 10, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  5. Mike, Las vegas, NV

So what if the man buys $500.00 shoes.???Its his money. Iam sure Obama's suits are not from Target. By the way Michelle Obama's dress at the convention was Oscar De laRenta. Go figure. I wish the Obama supporters would get a glue

September 10, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  6. Clark

Bill Mahr said John McCain's old argument stating that he was the only one to keep us safe from the big bad Al Quaeda, the only one standing between us and the dangerous world. So in keeping with that he picks a "stewardess" as his running mate, if something happens.

September 10, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  7. anon

maybe he can hone his message that mothers with children with downs syndrome only really care about children with disabilities if they support stem cell research!

September 10, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  8. The Voice of Common Sense (Independent Voter - Charlotte, NC

If Palin doesn't begin allowing more direct interviews with the media (especially, "Meet the Press"), she will lose a lot of credibility, especially with Independents. However, Palin will probably attack Biden on a moral / ethical level instead of simply on the issues. This will cause trouble for him. To many Hard Right Republicans, she is a God-send; to many Hard Leftists, the Devil's Daughter.

September 10, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  9. barbara

Governor Palin makes a pit bull seem gentle but I'm sure Senator Biden will do just fine. She can dish out the attacks but can;t seem to take them. I am sure she will spit out the same lines that she has been using for the past week.

September 10, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  10. ZT

He needs to hit her as hard as he would any man on any topic, why? Because anything less would be sexist.

September 10, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  11. S.M

Of course Palin would make personal attacks against her opponent since she doesn't have any substance in her debates. The only thing that she seems to know are Hockey Mom, Lipstick wearing Pitt bull, lies and McCain's POW record. People, especially women need to open their ears and start listening to her speeches than they would know she isn't qualified to be VP.

September 10, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  12. gk

Go Joe!!!!! Give 'em hell.

September 10, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  13. Andy

GO JOE! we are all pullin for ya! :)

September 10, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  14. The Nightingale Sings in Berkley Square

I was shocked that obama called me bitter and now it appears that he is saying something about lipstick on a pig. Is he now really degrading women, as well as Mid Westerners?

What an elitist. I've got news for Mr. Barack. You are sick.

McCain will protect us and our country.

September 10, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  15. Doug R.

Palin is uninformed about every single aspect of Washington politics. She has zero foreign policy experience. She has not met a single world leader. Biden is keen and sharp and knows the facts. It's beyond me how/ why this person is even a VP candidate. Many of her statements are false and misleading. Biden will wipe the floor with her!!

September 10, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  16. cool onlooker

Joe, you just need to trust yourself, as all intelligent voters do. You are great. Don't go around and don't let her lead you around. If you are a straight shooter, keep it up with you. That's your real value.

Shame though, on the other hand, to debate with an untruthful rival.

September 10, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  17. Character Question

Sarah, did you say it? You know …. Sambo … did YOU say it?

I can’t believe you did. I mean, that term is so 1920-ish and you were not even born until 1964. Nobody works that hard at being prejudiced anymore.

I guess it’s OK if you did say it … we just need to know the TRUTH. Thanks !11

September 10, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  18. jacqueline

I am glad that Joe plans to stay focused because I believe that Palin's Junior HIgh tactics take most of us adults off guard. Junior High is in our past and there is a segment that responds quickly to the meaness, so we need to stay adults and rise above the mean and stick to the subject and not the distraction. Smart Move to plan ahead Joe.

September 10, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  19. Steve

Good thinking Joe because GUESS WHAT, they are playing dirty politics and any response the Obama and Biden camp give is slammed as dirty politics and being mean to poor Sarah. PROOF of the same old same old in the republican flow right now is the FACT that they STEAL every phrase they can, this is the moment, more of the same, change, and etc. Obama says 'lipstick' and he's being rude to poor Sarah. Doesn't matter that McCain said lipstick on a pig months ago... Obama repeats the phrase, he is mean to Sarah... See a pattern? John is more of the same and the party of rude and bully behavior!

September 10, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  20. Gifty

Go Sara my girl.

John/Sara 08

Hillary 012 but if Dems does not...
    Sara President 012 Period

September 10, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  21. Don of Wisconsin

Well well ! JB revealing his justified paranoia.

September 10, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  22. independant voter, Texas

EMMA, I "am" a rural, white woman, 68 years od, with "some " education, ( college too) HOWEVER I take offense to you calling us rural, with little education..even if I had no education, I can still THINK, and reason..you ever heard of "common sense "????? you DONT help, when you make statements like that !

September 10, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  23. Jake

That's funny – sort of an oxymoron – the whole election will probably hinge on how well he keeps his mouth zipped. Good Luck with that!

September 10, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  24. Brina

Joe stick to the facts because you're right....she's going to try and make it personal and evoke a reaction with her nasty snide comments......

McCain has NO honor whatsoever....he's disgusting.

September 10, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  25. Ron

practicing to take on someone with no experience? finally she is getting some respect. i wonder how much practice time he will need if he as to face Putin OR Chavez what a joke

September 10, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |