September 10th, 2008

CNN poll of polls: McCain ahead by one point

Sens. Obama and McCain are separated by a margin of just one point in Wednesday's CNN poll of polls.

(CNN) – Sen. John McCain continues to hold onto a slim advantage in CNN’s latest poll of polls.

In Wednesday’s Poll of polls, McCain’s margin over Obama is one point, with McCain at 46 percent, Obama at 45 percent and 9 percent unsure about their choice for president.

In Tuesday’s poll of polls, the two rivals were also separated by just one point, with McCain at 47 percent and Obama at 46 percent.

"Why is the race so close? The GOP convention energized the Republican base - but it also helped solidify Democratic opposition to the GOP ticket,” CNN Polling Director Keating Holland said. “Enthusiasm grew among Democrats and Republicans after the Republican convention. Also, the favorable ratings for Obama and McCain are almost identical - and virtually unchanged from where they were in mid-August, before either party's convention began."

Wednesday’s poll of polls is composed of the following five national general election surveys: Fox News/Opinion Dynamics (September 8-9), NBC/Wall Street Journal (September 6-8), American Research Group (September 6-8), Gallup (September 7-9), and Diageo/Hotline (September 7-9).

The poll of polls does not have a sampling error.

1. Anonymous

My God folks. Are the 46% of the people polled around the country brain dead? Do these people listen to Palin and McCain give the same message every day about nothing? Palin reads the same lines every single day that she has been around. The airplane on Ebay (distortion), bridge to nowhere (distortion), ear mark spending (lies), lipstick (diversion nonsense), on and on. If this country elects these nut cases I will have no sympathy for the poor, neglected non-voters. How in God's name can the people that voted for George Bush pull the lever for McCain and Palin? What a disaster that election was. That bunch has made this country a third rate nation in my opinion. When the White House is fumigated and Obama moves in, then I will again put my hand on my heart when the national anthem is played.

September 10, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  2. Felicia

I'm confused!! Has the Republican candidate changed? All we hear about now is Palin...what happen to McCain. The Republican party and the media are making this campaign about gender. I'm a Black Woman and Im supporting OBAMA, not because of race, but because I truly believe he and his administration will do what's best for the majority of people of this country...you know those of us who are feeling this economic hell.

Palin is truly not ready to be President, not with one term as a governor of a state that is how small? Come on people, FOCUS.

DOESNT SHE SEE SHE'S BEING USED?

September 10, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  3. mike

there is still alot of people stil undecided which is good for obama but i think the reason why mccain gained is because of those stealth mccain supporters there heart is in culture issues not the economy or health care .. or more money for schools there only issue is there cultural agenda.

September 10, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  4. anyonmous

if obama pick clinton then mccain wouldnt have to pick palin and if he wouldnt pick here how would he get all this votes

September 10, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  5. why is the race so close?

cause some folks think its still 1986

We now return to "Mav and Goose" in TopGun"

(Except we're not in the 80's......."We dont need another hero")

September 10, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  6. Judy

Now that the "Bounce" is ending, it seems Palin is not all she has been pushed to be. She can pull in a croud but she has no experience to be in the White house. Now the Mc Cain campaign must start answering the real questions on Palin as well as begin to deal with the fact that the Mc Cain ticket is in fact four more years of Bush.

September 10, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  7. Kay

Polls don't mean a thing. They change day by day, hour by hour. We should be focused on issues and not polls. And if we're discussing issues ask yourself a question: Do the top 1% of people earning over $600,00.00 really need a tax cut? According to McCain, they do while everyone else gets higher taxes. I don't know about you but I don't need higher taxes, I need a tax cut and I'm not in the top 1%. If McCain wins, I guess I won't be getting that break.

September 10, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  8. Hillary Supporter for Obama

Who are they polling? I have yet to get a phone call. I have a land line and I have voted every year. So my question is... Who are they polling?

September 10, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  9. Joe citizen abroad

I get the feeling that the election is being given more importance than what might actually be accomplished by those who get elected. I don't care who spent time in a POW camp or a south-side community center or an Alaskan beauty pageant. I don't care who did or didn't have an abortion. I don't care what their wives and husbands do or don't do. All I care about is who cares more about the American people than they do about their own vanity...including their personal ideologies. And as far as I'm concerned, right now, all the candidates are tied for last place in that race.

September 10, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  10. Time for Change

We all need to wake up. These polls don't mean anything. The media have to keep things going. I haven't seen a diverse group of people at McCain/Palin there are more than potential hockey Moms in the United States. Of course the poll is going to be close if you call half Democrats and half Republicans. It is sad that Palin is allowing McCain to use her to potentially get in the White House with no power at all when she gets there. McCain is going to do whatever it takes we need to look beyond his words coming out of his mouth. If McCain is elected it will be more of the same. We are failing our children by allowing McCain to play tricks on us. Please remember if Republicans are elected it will still be the same white house staff and our foreign countries really don't like us very much and do you really think McCain got the social skills and ability to change that or do he just want to continue fight everyone. THINK ABOUT IT!!!! Palin need to wake up.

September 10, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  11. PALIN'S PORK

Taking or requesting “pork barrel” monies for state improvements, is neither illegal or immoral.

Lying about taking and requesting the monies is immoral. If you are a Republican, you will have to Google "immoral" for the definition.

September 10, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  12. randy

Why doesn't the Obama campaign start naming who the would like to put in charge of key policy initiatives instead of responding to nonsense?

September 10, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  13. Annette, Washington, DC

McCain campaign is so much like Bush/Cheney.. I notice the fact checks and let's see who's telling the truth. The bottom line is this, either so many people did not understand what 911 meant to this country or we did. The repubs, at their convention used pictures of that horrific scene, and for the last years of the republican control, HAVE DONE NOTHING! A STATUE HERE OR THERE! This country is still healing and all the news media, today wanted to talk about is lipstick on the eve of one of the mos tsorrowful days in our history. Shame on you media.

September 10, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  14. Rebecca

The polls are close because the pollsters are polling the same old people (people w/ landline phones, people that aren't on the Do Not Call list, people that have voted in the last election.....). So, those young people that are voting for the first time, those people like me who do not have a landline, and those people like my parents whose landline phone # is on the Do Not Call list.........WE ARE NEVER POLLED!!! And the odds are that the majority of these voters are supporting OBAMA / BIDEN!!!!!

PS .... What are the chances John McCain will change Washington when he made NO CHANGE in Washington after being in Washington for 27 years?

September 10, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  15. Matthew

I'm not going to hide a thing, this race gives me heartburn. I support Barack Obama and am distressed by his drop in the polls. Having said that, McCain's "BIG" lead of two points yesterday has already dropped to one???? In my opinion, that seems like a hype that's already fading.

September 10, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  16. Jan - Or

For one thing I’ve never heard this phrase until Obama used it. When I heard Obama saying this phrase, I took it as an insult towards Palin, because Palin referenced "difference between a soccer mom and pit bull, lip stick".

Obama likely will lose his spot light in the weeks ahead, because of Palin. Biden is a good man, but Obama should have could of picked Hillary as his VP, instead I believe his feeling against Hillary got in his way. Hillary as his VP pick may have helped Obama in a big way!

September 10, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  17. GA for Obama

Paul- you PUMAs (in battleground states) that will support McCain..do you honestly think you're greater in amount than OUR newly registered voters, young voters, supporters, and republicans supporting Obama?

I think YOU need a fact check.

NEWSFLASH: Obama's supporters, mainly newly registered, republicans for Obama, and young voters, far outnumber Mccain supporters nationally and county-by-county, state-by-state

Good luck on your landslide loss! Obama 2008!

September 11, 2008 01:01 am at 1:01 am |