September 10th, 2008

Damon rips Palin, calls her 'terrifying'

Matt Damon does not approve of Palin.
Matt Damon does not approve of Palin.

(CNN) – Admirers say Sarah Palin's compelling narrative and working-mom credentials helped land her a spot on the Republican presidential ticket, but Hollywood star and Obama supporter Matt Damon said Monday the Alaska governor's story more resembles a "really bad Disney movie."

In a blunt interview with the Associated Press, the star of the Jason Bourne film series also said there was a good chance John McCain would die in his first term in office and the thought of a President Palin is "terrifying."

“It’s like a really bad Disney movie - the hockey mom…from Alaska, and she’s the president, and it’s like she’s facing down Vladimir Putin and using the folksy stuff she learned at the hockey rink. And it’s absurd, it’s totally absurd, and I don't understand why people aren’t talking about how absurd it is," Damon said.

"You do the actuary tables, there's a 1-3 chance if not more, that McCain doesn't survive his first term and it will be President Palin," Damon also said, adding later "I think there's a really good chance Sarah Palin could be president, and I think that's a really scary thing, because I don't know anything about her, and I don't think in eight weeks I am going to know anything about her.”

Palin's selection 11 days ago to the GOP ticket has drawn record crowds to McCain campaign rallies and generated a wave of enthusiasm among the base of the party. Damon told the AP he viewed the pick as a purely political one.

"I know that she was a mayor of a really, really small town, and she's been governor of Alaska for less than two years - I think the pick was made for political purposes but in terms of governance it’s a disaster," he said.

Damon and longtime friend Ben Affleck endorsed Obama last year and have been vocal in their support of the Illinois senator. The two also attended a $1,000 per-person fundraiser for Obama in Miami last month.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Bodysnatchers

Palin's best friends also wouldn't vote for her as seen in Diane Sawyer's interview on GMA.

September 10, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  2. redneck for obama

it is absurd. damon is right.

September 10, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  3. Bob in California

I think I'll throw away my Matt Damon DVD collection.

September 10, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  4. Uche

Tell them Matt!

September 10, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  5. Hope

Good for you Matt, Speak the truth.

Obama/Biden 08!!!

September 10, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  6. Adam

Excuse me Matt Damon,
    Did you check your Relevance at the door?

September 10, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  7. Juan from L.A

Damon hit in the nail! Unfortunately he is from Hollywood and they will use his word against him. That's sad!

September 10, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  8. CGP

While I adore Matt Damon as an actor, his opinion does not really matter to me. I love that he supports the Obama/Biden ticket, but I wish he would just keep on raising money and stop offering his P.O.V.

September 10, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  9. Trysh, Los Angeles

Great points! Why are the same people who cried that they didn't know Obama after two years not having the same concerns since we've only known this woman for 11 days?

What is the difference?

September 10, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  10. Dude

So we care what Matt Damon syas because...why? Give a monkey a microphone and even he will start chattering away mindlessly. I'll take the hockey mom over the rich actor any day.

September 10, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  11. reggie

What's terrifying, is Obama in the White House. Luckily, that will never happen...

September 10, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  12. Arden

Matt, be afraid because no one else knows her. I see her speaking in tongues to Putin and then having a bomb go off in my back yard.

September 10, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  13. W Berry Norwood

So, Palin's not qualified as a leader, but Matt Damon is qualified to tell the rest of the country that fact?? Not quite.

September 10, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  14. Brian Rich

Finally someone says what we're all thinking and what we all know.

I know McCain's mother is still alive and in her 90s. But she hasn't had FOUR separate bouts with skin cancer, and more importantly, one HUGE bout with melanoma, the most deadly form of skin cancer the human race knows.

No one wants McCain to die. But it's almost like he picked a person who would be a ticking timebomb just in case he did die in office. He picked her for political reasons, but providing the Constitutional requirement for Vice President – replacing the President if they are killed or die – is NOT A POLITICAL PURPOSE. It is the country at stake, not a political campaign.

Apparently John McCain would rather win a political campaign than give the United States a Vice President we can believe in.

September 10, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  15. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

While I'll refrain from taking my political cues from an actor (any actor), I wholeheartedly agree with the boy. The thought of this small town, far right winger who doesn't believe in evolution or that mankind has had a role in global warming IS TERRIFYING.

September 10, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  16. Stacy

Like someone cares what an actor thinks about Palin....what a "bourning" idea.

September 10, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  17. Julia

Matt Damon is right.

September 10, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  18. nc4obama

Thanks but no thanks to McCain and Palin...

September 10, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  19. Terry, Lakeland Florida

um, who cares.

September 10, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  20. Ms. White

AMEN

September 10, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  21. American dream is alive and well!!

agreed!!!

September 10, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  22. rjp

He shares my views on the matter.

September 10, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  23. Pam

Well said!

September 10, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  24. RIP Keith Olbermann's Career, NY,NY

As a hockey fan, I am personally insulted by Mr. Damon's comments, and will not see any of his incredibly plotless movies.

September 10, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  25. Sarah

And we care what Matt Damon has to say?

September 10, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |