September 10th, 2008

Damon rips Palin, calls her 'terrifying'

Matt Damon does not approve of Palin.
Matt Damon does not approve of Palin.

(CNN) – Admirers say Sarah Palin's compelling narrative and working-mom credentials helped land her a spot on the Republican presidential ticket, but Hollywood star and Obama supporter Matt Damon said Monday the Alaska governor's story more resembles a "really bad Disney movie."

In a blunt interview with the Associated Press, the star of the Jason Bourne film series also said there was a good chance John McCain would die in his first term in office and the thought of a President Palin is "terrifying."

“It’s like a really bad Disney movie - the hockey mom…from Alaska, and she’s the president, and it’s like she’s facing down Vladimir Putin and using the folksy stuff she learned at the hockey rink. And it’s absurd, it’s totally absurd, and I don't understand why people aren’t talking about how absurd it is," Damon said.

"You do the actuary tables, there's a 1-3 chance if not more, that McCain doesn't survive his first term and it will be President Palin," Damon also said, adding later "I think there's a really good chance Sarah Palin could be president, and I think that's a really scary thing, because I don't know anything about her, and I don't think in eight weeks I am going to know anything about her.”

Palin's selection 11 days ago to the GOP ticket has drawn record crowds to McCain campaign rallies and generated a wave of enthusiasm among the base of the party. Damon told the AP he viewed the pick as a purely political one.

"I know that she was a mayor of a really, really small town, and she's been governor of Alaska for less than two years - I think the pick was made for political purposes but in terms of governance it’s a disaster," he said.

Damon and longtime friend Ben Affleck endorsed Obama last year and have been vocal in their support of the Illinois senator. The two also attended a $1,000 per-person fundraiser for Obama in Miami last month.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Raj

Well Said Matt. Thats pretty scary to even imagine

2. NC voter

Wow-someone who isn't afraid to tell it like it is.

The people running McCains' campaign now are Palin and tucker Bounds-McCain has been relegated to dottering old fool. Mr. McCain, winning without honor is an empty victory, even if you are President. You can see how despised Bush is, and you will be the same if you do not get control of your nazi campaign. Where is the man who used to command respect?
    Matt Damon is right-McCain is almost a non-entity in this whole thing. He and Palin hide behind their scripts and their mean vicious campaign manager and snivel their way down the campaign trail. No honor, no respect.

3. JOY

WHO IS MATT DAMEN???????? HE IS A BAD MOVIE AND HIS OPINION MATTERS WHY????

4. Brenda

I totally agree with Matt Damon. Mccain has had MALIGNANT melanoma 3 times!! Helloooooo! He is a Bush close and no one wants to remember but before the very bad Bush policies we had a surplus now there is a national deficit of $407 trillion! Had anyone wanted to spend anything close to this for education or paying our teachers, guarding our ports, or homes for the poor there would have been no chance and endless hearings. Bill Clinton whatever his moral failures knew it was all about the economy. Oh,. and the press doesnt want to talk about Mccain's womaninzing and cheating for 6 years and numerous rumors still!! Mccain/Palin is very very scary thought!

5. ztormtra

Clearly a stupid comment.

The 'Hockey Mom' is a Governor in charge of the USA's 1st missile defense against Russa and completed a multi-billion dollar deal for a gas pipeline America needs.

Stupid Matt.

6. Julie Smith

Damon speaks for many of us... I'm a 48 YO white female professional, and Sarah Palin no more represents me and my life than Willie Wonka represents Dennis Rodman. Gobama!

7. tom

thank you matt damon!

8. Mia Thai

As a woman, I am offended that Sarah Palin is crying the "poor little woman blues!" If you want to be taken seriously as a woman then you can not cry sexiest at every turn when the negative spot light is on you. For the record, Senator Obama was not referring to her as a pig in lipstick, he was referring to the issues that the GOP are trying to fool the American public with.

The community organizer shot from the GOP and from Sarah Palins lips was offensive. Do they think that a part of the VOTING population is not important?

Shame on you GOP and Sarah Palin-those lying lips in lipstick! I don't understand the news media...you all are not reporting and being fair on both sides of the political party. Where is the true vetting of this woman?

9. KH

Finally some real straight talk!

10. bernlee

I think I'm going to puke!!!
    Matt Damon, Politico extraordinaire...what a laugh! Now he is playing God regarding Mc Cain's health...does he know something McCain's physicians and McCain do not know???
    Also, let me remind one and all...have you ever heard of advisors such as secretary of state, chief of staff, cabinet members, etc???

Even Obama needs these folks as resources and advisors... and he is running for the top position...give me a break!!!

11. Jane

Thank you Matt Damon – he's absolutely right! Finally, someone brave enough to call it like it is!

12. mp

Evidently he has never dealt with a hockey Mom. I hope his wife appreciates his sexist attitude. I wonder if she wears a burka?

13. Michelle

Finally!!! Why did it have to take a celebrity to bring this issue to the forefront. Where has the media been on this? she is the joke of the century.

14. Donald

I'm sure Republicans will be dismissive of Matt's comments categorizing them as elitist. I happen to agree with him whole heartedly.

I wish something could open everyone's eyes. Unless you are truly a social conservative, why else would you be excited about this woman? And even if you are a social conservative...is this really a ticket that you can be proud of? I don't think that women everywhere should be offended by her selection. We spend all to much time being offended and to little time discussing the issues...

Thank you Matt Damon for speaking out. I wish more agreed with you.

15. Barbara Chicago, IL

Isnt he cute........ ;-)

16. TOM V

point well stated....that's the main reason to consider her credentials...what type of commander in chief would she make.....send the troops off to war because it's god's will...get serious!!

17. ldinhvu

No one is perfect, we all fall short of the glory of God, meaning sinful or born with a sinful nature. Ony those who are so self-righteous condemn others. At least she is qualified for the position for which she is applying, and he for his job.

18. Reasonable Observer

Wow!! Matt Damon, the political expert, supporting his celebrity buddy Obama.

"I am famous and good looking, my opinion matters."

Give me a break.

September 10, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  19. Dandelion.

He really hit the nail on the head with the bad Disney movie... haha

September 10, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  20. Neil Polen

Thank you Matt! I don't understand it either. If the country votes for this bunch I'm moving.

September 10, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  21. Sandy

You've got to be kidding me. He doesn't know anything about her? Obviously. She has more experience than Obama, and is a better public speaker than him anyway. Nothing smacks more of Disney than Obama. Stick to the movie analogies for some other thing, Damon. No one cares what stars think, no matter how edumacated.

September 10, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  22. Vaxe

I think you right. The fact that if anyone say something about her lack of experience is been sexism is B.S. We need to stop that.

September 10, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  23. Karen -WYoming

I'll second that.

September 10, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  24. no mccain no palin

hey john– you like apples?

September 10, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  25. John From New York

Some of what Matt Damon says sounds harsh, but he's right. We have no idea who Sarah Palin is. She might as well be the person next door.

September 10, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |