September 10th, 2008

Damon rips Palin, calls her 'terrifying'

Matt Damon does not approve of Palin.
Matt Damon does not approve of Palin.

(CNN) – Admirers say Sarah Palin's compelling narrative and working-mom credentials helped land her a spot on the Republican presidential ticket, but Hollywood star and Obama supporter Matt Damon said Monday the Alaska governor's story more resembles a "really bad Disney movie."

In a blunt interview with the Associated Press, the star of the Jason Bourne film series also said there was a good chance John McCain would die in his first term in office and the thought of a President Palin is "terrifying."

“It’s like a really bad Disney movie - the hockey mom…from Alaska, and she’s the president, and it’s like she’s facing down Vladimir Putin and using the folksy stuff she learned at the hockey rink. And it’s absurd, it’s totally absurd, and I don't understand why people aren’t talking about how absurd it is," Damon said.

"You do the actuary tables, there's a 1-3 chance if not more, that McCain doesn't survive his first term and it will be President Palin," Damon also said, adding later "I think there's a really good chance Sarah Palin could be president, and I think that's a really scary thing, because I don't know anything about her, and I don't think in eight weeks I am going to know anything about her.”

Palin's selection 11 days ago to the GOP ticket has drawn record crowds to McCain campaign rallies and generated a wave of enthusiasm among the base of the party. Damon told the AP he viewed the pick as a purely political one.

"I know that she was a mayor of a really, really small town, and she's been governor of Alaska for less than two years - I think the pick was made for political purposes but in terms of governance it’s a disaster," he said.

Damon and longtime friend Ben Affleck endorsed Obama last year and have been vocal in their support of the Illinois senator. The two also attended a $1,000 per-person fundraiser for Obama in Miami last month.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. andy

OK, matt damon, while you're joining obama in attacking palin... why don't you suggest some POSITIVE ways of impacting america? if you want to play politics... tell us your solution to the housing crisis.
    come on.

2. San Diego Moon

She terrifies me as well. This is really scary. Just the fact that McCain chose her should automatically disqualify him from being President.

If this were a corporate move, he'd be fired so fast it would make your head spin.

Of course, this is the same country that voted in Bush twice so maybe we are a nation of stupid hockey moms who don't know any better.

3. Patti

McCain's mom is 96.

Obama's mother died at 53.

CNN- Let's see what other celebrities say.

When I read CNN now I consider it a dish rag. It's fun.

4. David Yoo

Do you like apples? How do you like them apples?

5. ken bell

How dumb!!!

I'm 72 years of age and don't plan on dying until I'm aleast 86.

6. Eric

Matt Damon wil say whatever lines the DNC gives him, it what he does for a living. I'm not concerned with his 'expert' opinion, he makes millions every year playing make-believe in Hollywood.

What do we know about Barry Obama? All he ever does is say how bad it is, it's George Bush's fault, and he needs your vote to ensure everything is magically transformed into a socialist paradise. That's all he can say.

7. Susan

I guess it takes an actor to speak the truth: the idea of Sarah Palin as president if something happens to McCain is indeed entirely terrifying (although the idea of him as a president isn't much better)–I want to leave this country if these maniacs actually get into the White House.

8. agn

Sarah Palin is a liar and a cheat (wait till the adultery scandal hits the major media outlets)... I am also with Matt Damon!

9. Amy Smith

This is a case of judging a book by its cover in relation to why support has been going up for McCain/Palin. Its a really cool cover and the book looks like its a great read, but open it up and there's not a whole lot to be excited about. The story is actually pretty scary....

10. justin

Misleading headline... According to your own article he didn't call her terrifying he said the "thought of a President Palin is 'terrifying.' ".

Not that I don't agree with him on that.

11. Rev Thoompson

I agree with Matt. This is absurd. She is a nice person I am sure but what is with all the talk about being a hockey mom!! I am sick of it tell me how you are going to help our country in the next four years. What are you going to do about gas prices? Don't tell me about lipstick and a dog??!! HUH??

12. Brennan Leggett

I agree too! I mean come on! This is insane, and does anybody realize how screwed we are if McNasty gets elected and dies in office! And the the "HOCKEY MOM!" becomes president!

13. Terry Smith

For those with short memories, Dwight Isenhower's only experience was as a commanding general and Bobby Kennedy's only experience was as an appointed Attorney General. Didn't seem to bother anybody at the time. Besides which, Mcain's mother is still alive, which is a point in his favor.

14. Warren

I have to agree with Mr. Damon. This is so sad for McCain. He has been hijacked by the Rove criminals. Woman have to wake up in America its not about gender or personality its about the future of this country and i for one have grandchildren that are going to suffer because of our decisions. When are people going to pay attention to the issues

15. Pete-Waynesboro, VA

Although I'm generally with you Matt, it would be good to spend some time learning more about her- I don't think it's quite as scary as a lot of people think right now.

GO OBAMA!

16. Foreigner watching

The American will have no sympathy from the world if they pick the GOP to keeping running thingd the way they have been running them. sad, very sad

17. Who's he?

and an actor's opinion on a CNN blog is important because.........

18. M. Floyd-Texas

At last, someone said something that makes sense. I share Mr. Damon's concern and his fear of Palin. Who knows what she will do in office. I am definitely afraid.

19. By George

Oooooo – another celebrity endorsement. Matt, there are no bad movies – only bad actors – and Obama can't work without a teleprompter.

20. Brian

Stick to the movies. I wish the celebs would realize that no one cares what they think politically.

21. emmanuel

she should be in showbiz. she is a disaster waiting to happen.

obama/biden08.

22. David Kraus

Yes, before Palin was chosen, I could possibly live with John McCain as President, but now I am also apprehensive that McCain will win and die in Office. Palin is not ready to be President. They can't even let her be interviewed yet.

23. Rick

I agree with Mr. Damon as well.

24. Bob Dog

I always liked Matt Damon for his acting. Now I have another reason to like him.

25. Tampa, FL

Matt Damon is a sexist pig. If McCain's pick was a man with the same credentials, he wouldn't even view it this way.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14