September 10th, 2008

Damon rips Palin, calls her 'terrifying'

Matt Damon does not approve of Palin.
Matt Damon does not approve of Palin.

(CNN) – Admirers say Sarah Palin's compelling narrative and working-mom credentials helped land her a spot on the Republican presidential ticket, but Hollywood star and Obama supporter Matt Damon said Monday the Alaska governor's story more resembles a "really bad Disney movie."

In a blunt interview with the Associated Press, the star of the Jason Bourne film series also said there was a good chance John McCain would die in his first term in office and the thought of a President Palin is "terrifying."

“It’s like a really bad Disney movie - the hockey mom…from Alaska, and she’s the president, and it’s like she’s facing down Vladimir Putin and using the folksy stuff she learned at the hockey rink. And it’s absurd, it’s totally absurd, and I don't understand why people aren’t talking about how absurd it is," Damon said.

"You do the actuary tables, there's a 1-3 chance if not more, that McCain doesn't survive his first term and it will be President Palin," Damon also said, adding later "I think there's a really good chance Sarah Palin could be president, and I think that's a really scary thing, because I don't know anything about her, and I don't think in eight weeks I am going to know anything about her.”

Palin's selection 11 days ago to the GOP ticket has drawn record crowds to McCain campaign rallies and generated a wave of enthusiasm among the base of the party. Damon told the AP he viewed the pick as a purely political one.

"I know that she was a mayor of a really, really small town, and she's been governor of Alaska for less than two years - I think the pick was made for political purposes but in terms of governance it’s a disaster," he said.

Damon and longtime friend Ben Affleck endorsed Obama last year and have been vocal in their support of the Illinois senator. The two also attended a $1,000 per-person fundraiser for Obama in Miami last month.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Cosmo

Almost as absurd as his opinion mattering because he can play characters that are captured on film.

September 10, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  2. lc

Finally, the voice of reason.

September 10, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  3. Brent

Matt should try to be more open-minded and do more research on the candidates. The only way he won't know more about her in 8 weeks is if he doesn't care to look.

A lot of Hollywood people are showing their far-left bias by being openly hostile towards republicans. If you support Obama, that's fine, but there is no need to be nasty towards the opponent. Especially when you don't know what you are talking about.

September 10, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  4. earle decker

Matt Damon needs to stick to playing fantasy roles in a make believe world. The last thing we need is another actor spouting off on what we need while they make a living outside of the world we really live in.

September 10, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  5. Bern

These are people we need to talk on behalf of Obama. His people should start firing Palin till she gives up the VP spot. She came 11 days ago. She has never had any interviews yet. Not even closed book speech. Her first speech was written and she just read it very well. She has said nothing to inspire people but only attacks that the GOP are happy about. She has not gone thru halve of what Obama has gonr thru for the past 20 months. Lets see if she can survive the rest of the weeks till election time.

September 10, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  6. T Toole

Ditto with Darryl Scott (comment #1)!
    How dumb do the Republicans think Americans are?
    From what I've read and heard about Palin (besides how the avaible information appears to be being rewritten in her favor every minute!), her extremist religious views equate to JIHAD in America!

September 10, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  7. Jim

I'm right there with Matt Damon. Everyone says you shouldn't use age as a bias but it's tough not to when you have a candidate McCain's age that has had a history of health problems. And having a VP with such extreme right wing conservative views scares the crap out of me.

Any and every woman that is not conservative and is pro-choice that is considering voting for McCain should ask themselves "Can I live with Roe vs. Wade overturned?" If not, DO NOT VOTE FOR MCCAIN!!! The next president stands to nominate 3 supreme court judges and if it's the republicans there will be nothing but diehard conservatives on the supreme court for DECADES!!!!

8. Jonathan Hall

I don't know what is scarier, the idea of her actually being president or there being enough people in America who are stupid enough to vote for McCain and her.

What is wrong with people in this country? Do you really want four more years of these disastrous policies?

9. rb

L-O-L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Trysh, Los Angeles

Since when did becoming an entertainer mean that you forfeit your American Citizenship?

11. Truth

What scares the hell out of me is how the world will look at us if mccain-palin tick prevails!. It will mark the end of our influence in the world. There is every indication that our doom has come with mccain-palin!.

12. Marc

Actors should stick to acting, is he now an expert on life expectancy too?

Do you really think that Mr. Obama is that much more qualified to face off with Putin? I think not...

13. Who's he?

and an actor's opinion on a CNN blog is important because......

14. Brando

It doesn’t matter. Barack ain’t gettin’ 270 EV come Nov. It’s all about the Electoral College, stupid. Leave it to the democrats to snatch defeat! from the jaws of victory! for the third time in a row. (00', 04', 08'). When will they (finally) learn? Hopefully by 2012. You got 4 yrs, DNC. You’ve! been! warned!.

15. Nancy Wright

What's really terrifying is having Hollywood running our country!

16. Evan Dowling

In addition to my comment above, I am currently developing an outline for a politically oriented screenplay based on actual historical events in which I envision Matt for the lead role. I plan to finish writing it sometime next year and hope he is willing to take a look at it.

17. Brian

Never amazes me how these celebrity elites lose customers. I no longer watch David Letterman or Boston Public because of the politics. I won't be going to any more Damon movies...pity though since I enjoyed the Bourne series.

18. Rebecca

Not that this will be posted....I'm a conservative, so CNN never posts my comments...

Anyhoo..I love how the press always clamors to get the prized opinions of actors/celebrities regarding things like, I don't know, government policies, real life...? Hello? They're ACTORS. Entertainers. They have about as much clout and real knowledge about real life as my two year old. But because they look good onscreen and keep our fat butts firmly planted on the couch, what they say MUST mean something! Shoot- next time I have an ailment, I might as well call Whoopie Goldberg instead of my own, medical-school trained doctor....I guess I've been going about it all wrong this whole time...

19. MISSISSIPPI FOR OBAMA

I strongly agree with MATT DAMON. PALIN & MCCAIN WILL FLUSH THIS COUNTRY DOWN THE DRAIN....LOL

GO DEMS!!!!

20. Roxanne

when did Matt Damon become a political analyst? great actor, but????

21. Bob Indianapolis, IN

Just say no to Sara, She-wolf of the S.S.! Unvetted and unworthy!

22. Alex

Though I don't really care about a celebrity's opinion, I do agree with him on this point. The idea of her being the one to face down Putin is terrifying.

23. Chuck G

Go Sarah – don't let those mysoginist democrats get you down! She's a great breath of fresh air . . . . Mr. Damon's elitest tone is exactly why the democrats have had such trouble getting elected to the white house . . . .

24. Nikhil

Finally someone who agrees, i was a republican supporter then he made this pick and when she gave that speech i immediately donated $200.00 to the Obama camp, she is scary as hell i dont want her as president shes another dan quayle, a pig with lipstick is still a pig i hate her

25. will

Hollywood is always so helpful to the Republicans, keep it up Russell, Matt, Oprah...

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14