September 10th, 2008

Damon rips Palin, calls her 'terrifying'

Matt Damon does not approve of Palin.
Matt Damon does not approve of Palin.

(CNN) – Admirers say Sarah Palin's compelling narrative and working-mom credentials helped land her a spot on the Republican presidential ticket, but Hollywood star and Obama supporter Matt Damon said Monday the Alaska governor's story more resembles a "really bad Disney movie."

In a blunt interview with the Associated Press, the star of the Jason Bourne film series also said there was a good chance John McCain would die in his first term in office and the thought of a President Palin is "terrifying."

“It’s like a really bad Disney movie - the hockey mom…from Alaska, and she’s the president, and it’s like she’s facing down Vladimir Putin and using the folksy stuff she learned at the hockey rink. And it’s absurd, it’s totally absurd, and I don't understand why people aren’t talking about how absurd it is," Damon said.

"You do the actuary tables, there's a 1-3 chance if not more, that McCain doesn't survive his first term and it will be President Palin," Damon also said, adding later "I think there's a really good chance Sarah Palin could be president, and I think that's a really scary thing, because I don't know anything about her, and I don't think in eight weeks I am going to know anything about her.”

Palin's selection 11 days ago to the GOP ticket has drawn record crowds to McCain campaign rallies and generated a wave of enthusiasm among the base of the party. Damon told the AP he viewed the pick as a purely political one.

"I know that she was a mayor of a really, really small town, and she's been governor of Alaska for less than two years - I think the pick was made for political purposes but in terms of governance it’s a disaster," he said.

Damon and longtime friend Ben Affleck endorsed Obama last year and have been vocal in their support of the Illinois senator. The two also attended a $1,000 per-person fundraiser for Obama in Miami last month.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Rachelle

I don't think CNN should include movie stars' comments as headline worthy news stories.

2. Raquel Verdugo

I thought this was going to be one election that I was going to keep up with ,so far all I am hearing is two groups of kids on a playground going back and forth with name calling. Now all I do is try and find something more interesting to watch or listen to. They need to stop the trash talk it really turns people off. They are smart people aren't they ,do they not understand we do not want to listen to that.I am so confused now I do not know who I am going to vote for ,maybe a write in.

3. Johnny Boston

Thanks Matt. Now go back to reading your lines.

4. Proud Conservative

John McCains mother is 96, Obama's mother died at 45. Is this really rocket science?

5. catherine

in 8 weeks you could learn a lot about her, but i'm glad you are voting for obama

6. Concerned Citizen

It concerns me that an actor believes he can be the judge on who is qualified to become president. As a citizen it his duty to become aware of the candidates and I believe this is the piece that is missing from American politics. We want to hear the candidates biographies which do not actually mean squat. Who cares about Obama's childhood? Is he qualified to be president, Is Palin qualified for that matter. As a citizen you can do your own reserahc and determine those answers for yourself but I do not believe that "hockey mom" either qualifies or disqualifies them for the position.

7. Jackson

I am not sure why we should care what Matt Damon thinks politically. I enjoy his movies, think he is a great actor, but who gives him the right over anyother voter to voice his opinion is such a negative manner. Regardless of my political views it is distasteful, and his vote in November is not worth anymore than mine.

8. Ross

Just goes to show that Hollywood democrats can be as stupid as any other democrat. He was probably just reading a script anyway (not known for his brains).

9. Former Repub

Someone needs to speak out on this.
    most women arent this gullible are they?
    voting for a woman based on gender even though she completely differs on the issues, is absurd to me.
    How can they argue that Palin has more experience than OBAMA?
    who actually believes that?
    If McCain does become gravely ill in office, can you imagine Palin being president? The times are dire, i tell you, the times a dire
    OBAMA 08

10. Who's he?

bad actor

11. Roberta

I wonder if McCain has sat down with Palin to explain to her what a VP does?

Go Obama!!! :)

12. Patrick

My advice Mr Damon, is to pack your bags and leave.

13. Irene

DITTO FOR US, TOO..........

The outrage is the "absurdity"" of it all. It is almost bizarre the way she "appeared" on the scene.......hardly vetted and now NOT BEING ALLOWED TO APPEAR BEFORE REPORTERS AND JOURNALISTS.........what is wrong with this picture!

OBAMA / BIDEN 08

14. JusLaugh

Exactly. If Palin can't even take a little jabbing from Obama, how can we expect her to negotiate with Putin?

Matt just said what smart people in America are thinking.

15. Sarah

Right on Matt, he hit the nail on the head. We should be talking about it, it is a VERY scary reality that we may indeed have to face if McCain gets elected.

16. ci

Barack has less experience, and someone doesn't have to die for him to be president.

17. Chris

Normally I would care less what some celebrity said about a presidential election. But in this case, bravo Matt Damon! Someone needs to say this stuff before we end up with a "president" who is the least qualified person to hold any federal office in the history of our nation.

18. KD

Obama was senator for less than 2 years before announcing his candidacy which is just as long as Palin has been governor. And McCain is going to die? a 1 in 3 chance? Where is he getting these facts? another democratic ploy at using ageism. Or maybe he thinks that someone who has had cancer shouldn't be president. McCain gets health checkups regularly so if his skin cancer does come back he will catch it early. Obama could die in office just the same as McCain (please note that prostate cancer occurs 60% more in African American men then in white men according to webmd.com), and then we would be stuck with Biden whom Obama believes does not have the right judgement to be president. (because he voted for the war, just as hillary did and obama said she had the wrong judgement because of her vote.)
    Both Obama and Palin are inexperienced. I'd rather have the second in command learn and gain experience from the first in command then have Obama as the first in command without any experience.

19. Jack

The actuary tables?! You can't do actuary tables to predict how long someone will live! This is insanity. Unless celebrities actually intend to pursue a career in politics then they should steer clear and quit trying to use their celebrity to tell people how to vote.

20. Ken

I second that. They won't even let talk to the press because they know she can't handle it.

21. laura

Oh no Matt! .. now the GOP women's group will boycott your movies ..... I am really worried about this ladies! First no Oprah for sure no no Matt Damon! ..... what will they do all this time??? I am really worried will they boycott food too if the food comes from blue state? ;op

22. !!!

MATT DAMONNN!!!!

23. Monica

Thanks Matt Damon:))) Scary except it won't be a Bad Disney Movie where we can turn off the channel but real life. Go Figure people:(((

24. Gina

I agree with Matt. I don't think she would be ready to take over as President if anything would happen to McCain. I think she is a great person but just not ready for all the challenges that she would have to face.

25. Irma in North Carolina

You are all worried about Mccain kicking the bucket, but dont forget his mother is 96, so he could be around a while. Sarah said the war in Iraq was gods task. So hopefully it will be gods task not to let them two win the election. The Lord works in mysterious ways,

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14