September 10th, 2008

Damon rips Palin, calls her 'terrifying'

Matt Damon does not approve of Palin.
Matt Damon does not approve of Palin.

(CNN) – Admirers say Sarah Palin's compelling narrative and working-mom credentials helped land her a spot on the Republican presidential ticket, but Hollywood star and Obama supporter Matt Damon said Monday the Alaska governor's story more resembles a "really bad Disney movie."

In a blunt interview with the Associated Press, the star of the Jason Bourne film series also said there was a good chance John McCain would die in his first term in office and the thought of a President Palin is "terrifying."

“It’s like a really bad Disney movie - the hockey mom…from Alaska, and she’s the president, and it’s like she’s facing down Vladimir Putin and using the folksy stuff she learned at the hockey rink. And it’s absurd, it’s totally absurd, and I don't understand why people aren’t talking about how absurd it is," Damon said.

"You do the actuary tables, there's a 1-3 chance if not more, that McCain doesn't survive his first term and it will be President Palin," Damon also said, adding later "I think there's a really good chance Sarah Palin could be president, and I think that's a really scary thing, because I don't know anything about her, and I don't think in eight weeks I am going to know anything about her.”

Palin's selection 11 days ago to the GOP ticket has drawn record crowds to McCain campaign rallies and generated a wave of enthusiasm among the base of the party. Damon told the AP he viewed the pick as a purely political one.

"I know that she was a mayor of a really, really small town, and she's been governor of Alaska for less than two years - I think the pick was made for political purposes but in terms of governance it’s a disaster," he said.

Damon and longtime friend Ben Affleck endorsed Obama last year and have been vocal in their support of the Illinois senator. The two also attended a $1,000 per-person fundraiser for Obama in Miami last month.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. linda., bella vista, ar

Go, Obama...Palin moved up to the big leagues...and she and the GOP need to stop the whining..."No Crying in Baseball"

September 10, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  2. Rebecca

Like Damon knows anything about actuarial tables .... stick to making really campy and poorly acted action films Matt!

September 10, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  3. L.A.

I just got a newfound respect for Matt Damon. Thank you for speaking for the rest of us smart people. Maybe because you're a good looking actor someone will listen since they don't seem to be listening to the REST of the American people.

September 10, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  4. soy

u know what sir...you are absolutely correct

September 10, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  5. No2GOPGimmicks

Okay....let the bashing from the delusional GOP supporters begin....

September 10, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  6. Wayne

And why is some piece of Hollywood trash like Matt Damon's opinion of politics relevant? Obama's celebrity campaign rolls on. Sad.

September 10, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  7. Ella

Thanks, CNN, for this insightful reporting. I always look first to Hollywood stars to help me decide which candidates to trust.

September 10, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  8. Barney Lehrer

Is this the kind of junk a supposedly respectable media organization should be reporting? Aren’t the candidates talking about war, energy, education, forego policy? Is this junk the only thing that interests the likes of CNN? It is truly a sad day in the country.

September 10, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  9. pray2008pray

Go Matt, I truly wish people would wake up and see the real picture instead of looking at her boobs.

September 10, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  10. anonymous

Who seriously cares about what Matt Damon thinks? If anyone out there actually considers his opinion as one of importance, I feel really sorry for you.

September 10, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  11. Phil Newton from Murphy, Oregon

Oh, yeah. He's right.

"Unthinkable" also comes to mind...

September 10, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  12. TONY

Hear! Hear!

Could not agree more!

Unless Sarah Palin intends to beat the leaders of other countries to a pulp with her hockey stick, if she should win and ever become president, we are DOOMED!

All you women out there who say you are voting for McCain and Palin, PLEASE DO NOT say that your family comes first, your children come first.

The ignorant, apathetic women who are just fine with the status quo, yet whine the most, are the same ones who are trying to seal up those 18 million cracks made by Hillary.

WAKE UP!

September 10, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  13. Debby

Oh gosh who cares what this has been says I don't see him or Affleck in any movies lately either, so maybe Hollywood finds them terrifying. LOL Look what happened to Alec Baldwin and Clooney on their liberal views they are the ghosts of Hollywood now.

September 10, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  14. Kim, Charlotte, NC

I here you Damon, this is so sad.

This country is willing to bet on another 4 years with a 72 year old (cancer prone, POW with signs of dimension) and a 44 year old women who has never met with foreign leaders and is being counseld as we speak to fake what she has to remember in order to win an eleciton.

That scares the H*** out of me and my children.

September 10, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  15. Kevin

Hit her hard Jason Bourne..........

She needs to know that she is in the bad books of community organisers ! She is not clear headed !

With more cleared pple we can make poverty history ..NO,,,my father is an admiral, i am a POW thus an honorable man McCAIN and no more Barracuda tales

Thanks Matt !

September 10, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  16. bridgette

I don't care what Matt Damon thinks. I think this ticket is bad because won't discuss the issues. I think that it is good that some members of the media is starting to finally call them out on their mess. I think America is in trouble. I love my country and I think we have got to take our country back from these nuts who have taken over. Karl Rove is raw. He is worst now that what he was with Bush. He is hiding his horns no more.

September 10, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  17. Daniel

I love to watch him act, but who really cares what Matt Damon thinks about politics. Just because he is an actor, he has a forum. My post will probably not even be posted on this board. Its a darn shame that his view gets heard and mine does not. Enough of these actors having a platform.

September 10, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  18. Peggy in Ohio

Amen, brother!

September 10, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  19. ryan

Who's going to argue with Jason Bourne and Will Hunting? He's the toughest and the smartest man alive!

September 10, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  20. time 2 unite

funny. Campaign first! Campaign First! Should be Mccains slogan, because Palin was clearly a political choice. Lets not forget idiot mccain supporters Rove is running his campaign.

September 10, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  21. brad

couldn't agree more.

September 10, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  22. Okie

"I know that she was a mayor of a really, really small town, and she's been governor of Alaska for less than two years"

and just how much experience does Obama have?

September 10, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  23. David

How do you like them apples?

September 10, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  24. Langer

Who cares about what Matt Damon says?? He knows nothing about main stream America. Remember he was only an actor in Bourne Supremacy. It was a story line. It was not reality and that is the world he lives in.

September 10, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  25. Angie

Tell them Matt! Too bad more women aren't coming out against Palin. She will set women back 300 years with those views.

September 10, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |