September 10th, 2008

Damon rips Palin, calls her 'terrifying'

Matt Damon does not approve of Palin.
Matt Damon does not approve of Palin.

(CNN) – Admirers say Sarah Palin's compelling narrative and working-mom credentials helped land her a spot on the Republican presidential ticket, but Hollywood star and Obama supporter Matt Damon said Monday the Alaska governor's story more resembles a "really bad Disney movie."

In a blunt interview with the Associated Press, the star of the Jason Bourne film series also said there was a good chance John McCain would die in his first term in office and the thought of a President Palin is "terrifying."

“It’s like a really bad Disney movie - the hockey mom…from Alaska, and she’s the president, and it’s like she’s facing down Vladimir Putin and using the folksy stuff she learned at the hockey rink. And it’s absurd, it’s totally absurd, and I don't understand why people aren’t talking about how absurd it is," Damon said.

"You do the actuary tables, there's a 1-3 chance if not more, that McCain doesn't survive his first term and it will be President Palin," Damon also said, adding later "I think there's a really good chance Sarah Palin could be president, and I think that's a really scary thing, because I don't know anything about her, and I don't think in eight weeks I am going to know anything about her.”

Palin's selection 11 days ago to the GOP ticket has drawn record crowds to McCain campaign rallies and generated a wave of enthusiasm among the base of the party. Damon told the AP he viewed the pick as a purely political one.

"I know that she was a mayor of a really, really small town, and she's been governor of Alaska for less than two years - I think the pick was made for political purposes but in terms of governance it’s a disaster," he said.

Damon and longtime friend Ben Affleck endorsed Obama last year and have been vocal in their support of the Illinois senator. The two also attended a $1,000 per-person fundraiser for Obama in Miami last month.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Mary

Thanks for saying what others have been afraid to say.

Just because she is nice and ambitious, is she qualified to be VP?

We have already "dumbed-down" the office if President and VP- whay do it any further?

George Bush was someone people thought they could relate to and see where that got us?

2. Jacqueline Lucero

I completely agree with Matt Damon, we need to understand that if McCain does die(heaven forbid) we're stuck with a housewife, with no preparation and McCain has the nerve to say Obama is not ready to lead, we're in a sad state here in America everybody else is laughing at us, so sad

3. Independent Just Decided to Vote for Obama

It is so sad that we are falling into the dark pit of b.s. instead of worrying a whole lot about our country's future.

Like most, I am sick of this campaign that began far to early.

Sarah Palin scares the H out of me!

She has already told our young people that it is OK not to use birth control for sexually active kids, that your family will totally embrace your being a mother at age 17 (not so, folks!)

And she has told our kids that it is not real important to get a college education in America. After all, she dabbled in "college" through six schools before getting a fairly easy journalism degree.

Our president and vice presidents need LAW DEGREES! This is not the frontier anymore! They need to be EDUCATED!

And McCain needs to RETIRE!

4. Charlotte

Won't Sarah need a VP if McCain dies? She can then pick a senior Senator to lead her around by the nose also. The scariest thing for me is Obama as President, with no experience and a cocky attitude. I think McCain will be just fine, his mom is 95 and fiesty as anyone. Matt Damon is not my idea of an expert on the subject, his opinions are worth no more, no less then any citizen in this country.

5. Dr. W

What a sad commentary on the "Republican base." They are totally energized by the selection of an obscure woman for VP with many hard right views and a pregnant daughter still in high school. I guess there hasn't been going on with their party lately, huh?

6. Boston

And Obama's experience is what? He, with his Muslim faith, is running for president! That's what ought to really scare you Matt.

7. John McCain

I agree 100%. Anyone who votes for me is dumb.

8. Todd

Wow, the best the Democrats can do is the guy who was Ben Affleck's supporting actor – and trying to scare people into thinking that John McCain may die if elected? And the Republicans are the one's making up stuff, using scare tactics, and not interested in talking about the issues?
    I mean, what's more likely, an old guy dying, or a young black male being shot by another young black male? Come on, get your heads our of your butts!!!

9. Spencer from VA

Tell it like it is Matt. Star power!! Palin could be in Disney's the Wicked Witch whenever that movie comes out.

10. Anonymous

I agree with you 100% Matt, thank you.

11. Joe in NJ

Your movies stink.

12. Lee from FL

i second that!

most of my friends at work said they voted for Bush because he seemed like a caring christian conservative, and all they seem to do now is complain about the economy and gas prices. now these fools are all falling behind the Palin bandwagon.

13. Evan Dowling

Way to go Matt! You are my favorite actor and you did the country a great service speaking up like this.

14. Fritz

Ah, if only the political pundits had half the intelligence of the actors in America... Thanks Matt for your perspicacity

15. Obama/Biden 08

LOL... well at least he isnt the first person to say it.

16. Darryl Scott

I couldn't agree more with Mr.Damon

September 10, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  17. mad

this really starting 2 look like kids play each party is playing tit 4 tat n not what they r going 2 do 4 america give us some details please i sticking wit independent!

September 10, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  18. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Despite Matt Damon being an actor and a celebrity, he does have a valid point. Since McCain's age is much higher than most men seeking their first term, it should be something to consider. Given I also know next nothing about this woman and HER POLICIES, it is important that she state them as quickly as possible.

The only thing that I know for sure is that she is pro-birth (against abortion and for the death penalty). I can't say that I agree with that. I have heard that she believes in Creationism which is based on faith. That may be fine for her, but public schools should be taught with something that can be reproduced and backed up by much of the scientific community.

September 10, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  19. 45 year old white lady for Obama

Didn't Sara Palin at one time say in an interview that Hillary Clinton complaining of how She was treated in the primaries really just sound like a bunch of whining? Who's whining now????

September 10, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  20. republicans hate america

Matt the reason people do not find it absurd is because a lot of people in this country are a bunch of hypocritical inbreeding rednecks that look for the American Idol to sit in the white house and not people with intelligence. To them this is all like some reality TV show. Intelligence scares tailor trash they want someone they feel comfortable having a beer with. dont you get it? They dont care about the issues even if it harms them they care about the flag pin.

September 10, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  21. Dee

I agree..BTW- I love you in Bourne Series matt-

September 10, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  22. Chris

It is a sad thought, but a necessary one at that. Should John McCain die in his first term as president, Sarah Palin would become the demise of the US. Even if I wasn't a democrat I am pretty sure that that idea would turn me to vote for Obama. Sarah Palin is the least qualified person who could become President and run our country in decades...

September 10, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  23. Kelby from Houston, TX

Matt, your sentiments are echoed by millions and millions of voices. That wich we have heard about Palin is all negative and she isn't talking to the press. So far we have one interview on the way and that's not till the end of the week. And on top of that they make her continue to give the same speech riddled with lies day after day.
    Her nomination is absurd.
    Polls are absurd.

OBAMA '08

September 10, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  24. Sylvia B

Thank you so much Matt. I am so glad that you had the guts to say what a lot of people were thinking. Watch out for the Repubs! They are dangerous and vindictive and that is why PalinBush fits right in with the crowd.

September 10, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  25. Dave

The main thing to remember about the Palin pick is this: John McCain picked her to possibly take the reins of this country after he only met her once. He didn't vet her, and made the decision to take her as vice-president in less than 24 hours.

Whether you like Palin or you don't, this kind of reckless behavior on the part of John McCain should give you pause if you're thinking about electing him president. He has undermined his own messages with this pick; "Country first" ha! He made a snap decision involving America's future just to get some cynical political capital out of it.

In a society that thinks at ALL, this move should just about disqualify McCain for office.

September 10, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |