September 10th, 2008

Damon rips Palin, calls her 'terrifying'

Matt Damon does not approve of Palin.
Matt Damon does not approve of Palin.

(CNN) – Admirers say Sarah Palin's compelling narrative and working-mom credentials helped land her a spot on the Republican presidential ticket, but Hollywood star and Obama supporter Matt Damon said Monday the Alaska governor's story more resembles a "really bad Disney movie."

In a blunt interview with the Associated Press, the star of the Jason Bourne film series also said there was a good chance John McCain would die in his first term in office and the thought of a President Palin is "terrifying."

“It’s like a really bad Disney movie - the hockey mom…from Alaska, and she’s the president, and it’s like she’s facing down Vladimir Putin and using the folksy stuff she learned at the hockey rink. And it’s absurd, it’s totally absurd, and I don't understand why people aren’t talking about how absurd it is," Damon said.

"You do the actuary tables, there's a 1-3 chance if not more, that McCain doesn't survive his first term and it will be President Palin," Damon also said, adding later "I think there's a really good chance Sarah Palin could be president, and I think that's a really scary thing, because I don't know anything about her, and I don't think in eight weeks I am going to know anything about her.”

Palin's selection 11 days ago to the GOP ticket has drawn record crowds to McCain campaign rallies and generated a wave of enthusiasm among the base of the party. Damon told the AP he viewed the pick as a purely political one.

"I know that she was a mayor of a really, really small town, and she's been governor of Alaska for less than two years - I think the pick was made for political purposes but in terms of governance it’s a disaster," he said.

Damon and longtime friend Ben Affleck endorsed Obama last year and have been vocal in their support of the Illinois senator. The two also attended a $1,000 per-person fundraiser for Obama in Miami last month.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. TS

Thank You Matt Damon!!!
    You are just helping remind people why they should not vote for a liberal.

September 10, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  2. Ellen in Ohio

It amazes me that these actors and celebrities think that they should have some sort of influence on these political matters. WHO CARES what any celebrity says? Make up your own mind!

September 10, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  3. richard

Who cares what a Hollywood actor thinks. He's just another person with an opinion. Why not go talk to people in Chicago who know the "real" Obamas....not the smoke and mirrors that surround them.

September 10, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  4. Susan

I couldn't agree more with Damon. The though of Palin as President is frightening. She lacks the world experience necessary to handle this nuclear super-power in the event of a crisis. I have seen nothing from her to indicate that she can do anything other than read prepared speaches (in her case the same one) from cue cards and fling one-liners. I don't think those are talents that we need from a V.P. in line for the presidency. Not only that, but I know families with children with special needs along the lines of her own, and that is a full-time job in and of itself.

September 10, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  5. Phoenix

It's amazing how the Republicans got so pumped about Palin, but yet even with her energizing the base, they are still tied. So much for your answer to Obama.

September 10, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  6. Brian

Hellooooooooo Matt she is conservative, they have all the experience they need from conception (that is as long as they are conservatives)

September 10, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  7. Theresa

Do we care what celebrities think? Nope. I can see why celebrities don't like her. She has morals, values, faith, character, and loves her family. Plus she has been married to the same man whom she had all her children with. Sounds pretty scary to me.

September 10, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  8. STEVE

Thanks Damon :) At leat you can see the reality.
    Peace... and God Bless America

September 10, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  9. Craig Kasnoff

I like Matt's acting and I like his political thinking.

September 10, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  10. ANDREA

WHO CARES ABOUT WHAT CELEBRITIES THINK? THEY LIVE ABOVE THE LAW AND OUTSIDE OF AVERAGE AMERICAN LIFE. PLEASE KEEP THEIR OPINIONS AWAY FROM THE POLITICAL ARENA. CNN AND OTHER GARBAGE NETWORKS HAVE MANIPULATED THE AMERICAN MIND ENOUGH CONCERNING THIS ELECTION.....

....AND I KNOW THIS WON'T GET POSTED. :)

September 10, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  11. Linda from Prescott AZ

It scares me too!
    Surely this is a nightmare that we will wake up from very soon.

12. Robert

Finallly two americans can see the other side of the coin. I hope people start thinking of what she can do as a president rather than how pretty she is and what a wonderful family she has.
    WAKE UP AMERICA.
    I just picture her talking with PUTIN or dealing with IRANIES that she is like a pitbull.......it is the greatest american joke ever.
    This tells me How republicans wants to control this country with underquilified people that basically puts this country at a greater risk.
    Not sexism or attacks to Palin.....honestly...the TRUE

13. tigerakabj

Amen Matt. Hockey Mom thinks that "sexist" argument is going to fly with Vladimir Putin, Chavez, etc.? Some middle eastern countries don't even respect women.

The media needs to be asking those questions.

Obama/Biden 2008/2012.

14. realistic

No what is terrifying is Obama as President. CNN how many of these stories can you come up with? You will be over just like Obama come November.

15. Brina

It sure is. She's also a liar in a Big Way.

16. Troy

Cnn, tomorrow can we talk about chapstick? Let's run that story all day tomorrow. We don't need to talk about the economy, health care, all that unnecessary stuff.

Lipstick is getting old. Chapstick, Chapstick, Chapstick!!!!

Why does CNN entertain McCain's camp w/ that foolishness?

17. Xavier, Saint Louis, Missouri

I AGREE!

NO WAY, NO HOW, NO MCCAIN &PALIN!

OBAMA/BIDEN '08

YES WE CAN!

18. faye, NV

It is scary to think Palin could be president. I do not trust her. There are many unanswered questions. The video about God, equal pay for women, stem cell etc.

19. Rocky

Stick to movies and stay out of politics. Do what you know how to do and stop trying to sway the public with your stardom!

20. Shari, NY

Wow! Not only did he rip Palin he is about to write McCain's epitaph. I am waiting for the debates which will do the ripping for me.

21. Jeffrey

Way to go Matt Damon.

McCain is selling out and lying to win. He'll do anything.

McCain selected Palin in a fast, brash decisions, with out proper vetting. Now he lying to cover up mistakes. Reminds how we ended up in Iraq. Where's the WMD???

22. Paula Rettle

Why would you be saying that John McCain would die first term. Give me a greak!! He's only 72 and so what he's had a couple skin cancer melanomas cut out–do you realize how common that is. I have family in Florida and those are so common down there. His mother is 96. Who is scary is Barack Obama–when he gets in office I can see attacks coming on our country because he has no military experience and the enemy knows this. I would trust John McCain more that Obama anyday. What about Biden and his brain aneurysm–maybe the stress will cause another one since it was probably stress that caused that one and what about the stress of being a Vice President.

23. JustMyObservation

I am an educated soccer dad…a single parent of two wonderful kids (ages 9 and 11), Palin and McCain do not represent my values or thoughts on the problems in America. To be fair, I read everybody’s speeches (both Democrat and Republican)…I’m sorry Palin/McCain, you guys just don’t get it. Oh…btw…I too shop at Walmart.

24. Palin Rules

Whatever Matt, This election is over and you know it. Pumas you are no longer needed. Please take you witch Hillary and go home.

25. Jim in SC

He failed to mention that Obama has LESS relevant experience than Palin. Whoops!

" ... I don't understand why people aren’t talking about how absurd it is..."

I feel the same way about Obama.

September 10, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |