September 10th, 2008

Damon rips Palin, calls her 'terrifying'

Matt Damon does not approve of Palin.
Matt Damon does not approve of Palin.

(CNN) – Admirers say Sarah Palin's compelling narrative and working-mom credentials helped land her a spot on the Republican presidential ticket, but Hollywood star and Obama supporter Matt Damon said Monday the Alaska governor's story more resembles a "really bad Disney movie."

In a blunt interview with the Associated Press, the star of the Jason Bourne film series also said there was a good chance John McCain would die in his first term in office and the thought of a President Palin is "terrifying."

“It’s like a really bad Disney movie - the hockey mom…from Alaska, and she’s the president, and it’s like she’s facing down Vladimir Putin and using the folksy stuff she learned at the hockey rink. And it’s absurd, it’s totally absurd, and I don't understand why people aren’t talking about how absurd it is," Damon said.

"You do the actuary tables, there's a 1-3 chance if not more, that McCain doesn't survive his first term and it will be President Palin," Damon also said, adding later "I think there's a really good chance Sarah Palin could be president, and I think that's a really scary thing, because I don't know anything about her, and I don't think in eight weeks I am going to know anything about her.”

Palin's selection 11 days ago to the GOP ticket has drawn record crowds to McCain campaign rallies and generated a wave of enthusiasm among the base of the party. Damon told the AP he viewed the pick as a purely political one.

"I know that she was a mayor of a really, really small town, and she's been governor of Alaska for less than two years - I think the pick was made for political purposes but in terms of governance it’s a disaster," he said.

Damon and longtime friend Ben Affleck endorsed Obama last year and have been vocal in their support of the Illinois senator. The two also attended a $1,000 per-person fundraiser for Obama in Miami last month.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. American dream is alive and well!!

FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY – lets stop talking about lipstick and crying "sexism!!!" every two seconds.

To really stop and think – this woman could be our president? I DON'T WANT A HOCKEY MOM AS PRESIDENT!!! America deserves better and I'm completely offended that the Republicans and media are forcing her fairy tale hockey mom story down my throat! Disgusting

I am a young white woman who has supported Obama from day 1 – it makes me sick that independents are flocking to the dark side because McCain is desperate to win an election.

I support 99.9% of Obama's policies. It is completely disgusting that the McCain campaign thinks the American people are stupid enough to fall for their dirty tricks. LETS TALK ABOUT THE ISSUES!!! I want a leader who will look after my health, my job, my family and my children. You WILL NOT get that from McCain and possibly the next President Palin??? IT TRULY IS TERRIFYING!

OBAMA / BIDEN '08

September 10, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  2. Sarah.....and my last name isn't Palin!

Right on!

Obama/Biden '08

3. Leslie

Oh, yay. A Hollywood point-of-view. How I've missed those!

4. Ryan

I think seeing one more of his movies is terrifying!!

5. Elizabeth

The very thought that I ever would have wanted to see Matt Damon
    in a movie is terrifying. These over paid "Hollywood" celebrities
    have nothing more to do than idolize themselves and feel that anything
    they say and do is a seller. They sit on the can and poop just like
    any of us, or at least I hope they can. However, they do sound all
    bound up in their own.

6. Darren

Great job Matt Damon Man!

BTW – was Sarah Palin against the Bridge to Nowhere before or after she invented the pipeline?

Also – ain't it sad that the sparring partner Biden is using to ready himself for the debate is actually more qualified than the woman he will be facing?

I know '04 paints us as being pretty stupid, but fool us thrice??? C'mon...

7. Brad

Thank you Matt Damon for being honest. Hopefully once the novelty of Palin dies off, people will realize what a horrifying prospect the reality of this situation is. The republican party is betting it all on the stupidity and ignorance of the american people to get caught up in a craze and miss the truth entirely.

This isn't a high school race for student body president – this is not a popularity contest – this is about the future of the country and the issues at hand – too bad the republicans have offered nothing in the form of solutions to the issues.

8. Filipina

Well said Matt Damon lol,,,too funny

Obama/Biden

9. Terese

I would be more worried about Obama in office.

Really, If he gets this rattled by Sarah Palin, how will he do with Putin and others?

I thisk that if Palin can stare down the big corporate oil companies, and bend them to her will, she's got a shot at being great with Putin and others.

Obama waffles too much and is too indecisive.

10. Alisha (Independent voter,) MN

Matt, I totally agree!

11. C Rozak

What do we care what Mat Damon thinks about the selection of Palin. Is he so important that we have to know. Anyone else, it wouldn't matter. give me a break

12. Joy Booth

Personally the thought that a legitimate news agency(?) would post an article citing the opinions of an actor is terrifying.

13. bill mullis

you go mat damon lets get the truth out on this sooo called hockey mom caint stand her she used her kids like puppets one is unwed pregnent dont hear a thing from right wing christians this buisness we caint check her out is crap we dam well BETTER CHECK HER OUT LIKE YOU SAY SHES heart beat away from becoming president oh my god talk about scary OBAMA BIDEN 08

14. Scott

why would we care what Damon has to say about politics? There are 330 million Americans in this country. Obviously all of them have their own views on selection of a particular president. Matt Damon deserves no more right to be quoted by cnn than do I, an ordinary citizen. Damon should keep his political thoughts to himself and should be practicing reading a script or something. Last Damon movie I will ever see.

15. republicn in kentucky`

im a marrine and i am terrified..if palin is the commander and chief . mcbush is 74 yr old. palin is 44 driving on empty. The suicide rates in the military will increased..
    I would kill myself definately

mcbush and palin must be defeated...8 years was enough!!!!

marine against Republicans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Stop BS

you never know Mr Damon, when will you die ??

Stop preaching and messing with Politics, and stay an actor, if you are.

I quit watching your movies from now on.

17. Mat Damon

Here is a smart men that why he is one of hollywood stars.

18. Suzanne

Perhaps Damon should do a little reseach on Obama –
    he only has 143 days of experience in the Senate
    and most of the time he voted present instead of yes or no!

and it is not a chance that he would be president
    NOBOBY WOULD HAVE TO DIE – He is running
    for president.

We are electing a president – not an IDOL!

September 10, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  19. The T

Americans are hurting and all we get is who looks better on a ticket...My friends and co-worker and yes my neighbors are losing their house can't send their kids to collage don't have heatlh care and we get, who looks better on a ticket....The world is watch and listening. Shame shame shame!!!!!!

September 10, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  20. Tari Torch Sweeney - Shaker Heights, OH

I don't normally give too much credence to movie stars doing politics. I have always admired Matt Damon, though, so will give some attention! I agree 100% with him. The very thought of Palin as VP is distasteful. As President, the thought is magnified a million times. She is absolutely terrifying. I have tried to explain to my husband that I will be moving to my brother's home in Italy, should she become President. I am 60 years old, and knowing there is "x" amount of time left – I sure as hell don't want to live and die in Palin's world. She is dangerous and she will destroy America. Women will be set back 100 years (or more)....all the gains we made, for ourselves and our daughters will be wiped away in one fell swoop. God help us all.

September 10, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  21. Speakinmymind

speaking truth to power!

September 10, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  22. KH

People need to condition their minds into looking for answers from the McCain about their failed policies. Palin's speeches now sounds like a broken record – repeating lies until people start believing them to be true.

The media also needs to be more accountable and responsible in their reporting. They need to stop propagating the false republican ads and focus on the issues. If the Ad doesn't speak to the issues, don't spend time highlighting it.

September 10, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  23. Nick

These celebrities are not helping Obama's cause. Hearing Palin attacks from Matt Damen is only going to impower Palin. Her appeal is that she is average and relatable. Now she has Hollywood trashing her, and shes only going to become more victimized and empowered. Every celebrity who likes Obama just need to keep thier mouth shut, donate some money, and vote. Otherwise you are doing more harm then good.

September 10, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  24. Ryan

Another celebrity protecting the other celebrity Obama.

September 10, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  25. randy

i totaly belive what matt demon said .i dont wish death on john macain but it is a fact,and come to tell me that sera palin or what ever her name is will be president makes me nervous.

September 10, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |