September 10th, 2008

Damon rips Palin, calls her 'terrifying'

Matt Damon does not approve of Palin.
Matt Damon does not approve of Palin.

(CNN) – Admirers say Sarah Palin's compelling narrative and working-mom credentials helped land her a spot on the Republican presidential ticket, but Hollywood star and Obama supporter Matt Damon said Monday the Alaska governor's story more resembles a "really bad Disney movie."

In a blunt interview with the Associated Press, the star of the Jason Bourne film series also said there was a good chance John McCain would die in his first term in office and the thought of a President Palin is "terrifying."

“It’s like a really bad Disney movie - the hockey mom…from Alaska, and she’s the president, and it’s like she’s facing down Vladimir Putin and using the folksy stuff she learned at the hockey rink. And it’s absurd, it’s totally absurd, and I don't understand why people aren’t talking about how absurd it is," Damon said.

"You do the actuary tables, there's a 1-3 chance if not more, that McCain doesn't survive his first term and it will be President Palin," Damon also said, adding later "I think there's a really good chance Sarah Palin could be president, and I think that's a really scary thing, because I don't know anything about her, and I don't think in eight weeks I am going to know anything about her.”

Palin's selection 11 days ago to the GOP ticket has drawn record crowds to McCain campaign rallies and generated a wave of enthusiasm among the base of the party. Damon told the AP he viewed the pick as a purely political one.

"I know that she was a mayor of a really, really small town, and she's been governor of Alaska for less than two years - I think the pick was made for political purposes but in terms of governance it’s a disaster," he said.

Damon and longtime friend Ben Affleck endorsed Obama last year and have been vocal in their support of the Illinois senator. The two also attended a $1,000 per-person fundraiser for Obama in Miami last month.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Nicole In NE

Yeah, but no one wants to look at that!

They love the last 8 years we've been made to eat and they would love some more – even if it's made our country sick!

Palin is Dick Cheney in a heels. period.

She's no Hillary and those of you telling yourselves that are living in some dream world.

2. The vp became the first lady.......oops

Intellignet people think and forget your bigotry.
    McCain is 72 years old.
    with history of cancer with a Vp that has no experience. A backgorund in journalism!!!!!!!!!!Think.
    To the world Americans look like fools.
    To me you people really do.

3. Tommy

As far as I am concerned Jason Bourne died in his last movie. As far as Matt Damon goes; how terrifying is it that Obama could be elected with approximately equal experience? Wake up Mr. Damon!

4. me

Very, very well said.

5. Wayne

And why is some piece of Hollywood trash like Matt Damon's opinion of politics relevant? Obama's celebrity campaign rolls on. Sad.

6. Nick - Arlington, VA

Right on the money.....its what I have been screaming about to all of my friends (conservative and non-conservative alike) about how this is insane and a purely political move...country first? ...give me a break...

7. Who is Matt Damon

Who really cares what Matt Damon thinks? Reading how he responded sounded like he was in High School. He doesn't have one comment that makes a clear response as to why she couldn't do it outside of the fact basically that she's a woman with no experience and is a hockey mom. So, what she may turn out to be the best thing that ever happened in Washington. He says he knows nothing about her. What does he know about Obama? As much as the rest of us do which isn't alot. With either one were taking a chance but I'd rather my chances with McCain/Palin over Obama who is increasingly getting more smug and a bigger ego by the day because he thinks he deserves this. I haven't heard anything that makes me feel like he does.

8. FJ from Atlanta

Agreed!

9. Susan, TX

He's right, we really don't know anything about her. Obama has been vetted by the press to the point that we know him well and what he stands for.

10. Unite

THANK YOU MATT DAMON!!! I'VE BEEN SCREAMING THIS AT THE TOP OF MY LUNGS FOR WEEKS NOW...WHERE IN GOD'S NAME IS THE PRESS ON THIS??? GET OVER BEING DUBBED SEXIST AND DO YOUR JOB!

11. Right Angle

Well Matt Damon should know bad movies, he's been in them! He should go on Oprah and they can cry their eyelashes off!! Especially when they lose this fall.
    Who cares what he thinks, Mr no-experience Obama scares me!

Mac/Palin '08

12. Marilu

If actors and musicians and the like really are Obama supporters, and not just egocentric big mouths, they'd actually help him more by just keeping their opinions to themselves. That said, I'm with Damon – Palin scares me too.

13. Levar Patterson

As an Obama supporter I know that the last thing we need is for Matt Damon to come on and make remarks regarding this race.

I still blame John Kerry's loss on Eminem and his remarks that year (not to mention John Kerry sucks)

Hollywood please SHUT UP and let the man win!!! I am sick of fighting these so-called "culture wars" that are used as a distraction from the most important issues like Health Care, Iraq War, the Economy, and Education.

14. proud army and navy mom

Matt Damon is a smart man. He's absolutely right. The idea of Palin being one step away from commanding our military is absolutely frightening.

Palin cannot be trusted to raise her own children (whose raising them by the way?) but the US people will trust her with their kids. She's a absolutely moronic joke and mcsenile is on his last legs. yikes!!!!

15. Rick K

Taking away the soap opera stories and blogger rumors, the real news stories are still terrifying.

They show a pattern of using positions of power to intimidate, bully, exploit and undermine any kind of opposing view, and even settle personal scores.

They show, in short, exactly what we're getting from Bush, Cheney and Rove. I have no doubt whatsoever that if she felt it in her interest, there would be a CIA agent ruffling through my toiletries.

16. DasCreed

Who cares? the guy is an actor. His opinion is no different than that of a bum.

17. Eph

So a Hollywood type is ripping into Palin...good one...the republicans are going to have a field day.

18. carl d

I couldnt agree with you more also Mr.Damon. this country would be a mess, a hockey mom running the country.....oh my lord..

19. ag

Since when did we celebrities influence a vote? I like Damon as an actor, but he should stick to his business and stay out of politics.

20. Jeff in Virginia

Here here!

This lady is terrifying.

VA for Obama/Biden!!

21. Helene D

I agree with Matt Damon.

22. Boston

Damon is a "pig with lipstick" when it comes to politics. His Bourne movies were good though, I'll give him that.

23. Mair

I think it is more absurd and terrifying that Mr. Obama thinks he has the qualifications to be President from day one as opposed to VP from day one. And to quote you Mr. Damon I think your words can be used to highlight the DNC backing of Mr. Obama for President- "I think the pick was made for political purposes but in terms of governance it’s a disaster."

24. Kevan, Arkansas

Matt Damon, in that interview, has said more about foreign policy than I've heard from Palin in the last two weeks since she arrived on the scene. All I have heard from her is the same speech she gave at the GOP convention, with a new line here & there. He played Jason Bourne, but she's the one who is reading from a script.

September 10, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  25. tim

As do I. How can the republican say anything about Obama's political experience and make Palin a VP!?

September 10, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |