September 10th, 2008

Damon rips Palin, calls her 'terrifying'

Matt Damon does not approve of Palin.
Matt Damon does not approve of Palin.

(CNN) – Admirers say Sarah Palin's compelling narrative and working-mom credentials helped land her a spot on the Republican presidential ticket, but Hollywood star and Obama supporter Matt Damon said Monday the Alaska governor's story more resembles a "really bad Disney movie."

In a blunt interview with the Associated Press, the star of the Jason Bourne film series also said there was a good chance John McCain would die in his first term in office and the thought of a President Palin is "terrifying."

“It’s like a really bad Disney movie - the hockey mom…from Alaska, and she’s the president, and it’s like she’s facing down Vladimir Putin and using the folksy stuff she learned at the hockey rink. And it’s absurd, it’s totally absurd, and I don't understand why people aren’t talking about how absurd it is," Damon said.

"You do the actuary tables, there's a 1-3 chance if not more, that McCain doesn't survive his first term and it will be President Palin," Damon also said, adding later "I think there's a really good chance Sarah Palin could be president, and I think that's a really scary thing, because I don't know anything about her, and I don't think in eight weeks I am going to know anything about her.”

Palin's selection 11 days ago to the GOP ticket has drawn record crowds to McCain campaign rallies and generated a wave of enthusiasm among the base of the party. Damon told the AP he viewed the pick as a purely political one.

"I know that she was a mayor of a really, really small town, and she's been governor of Alaska for less than two years - I think the pick was made for political purposes but in terms of governance it’s a disaster," he said.

Damon and longtime friend Ben Affleck endorsed Obama last year and have been vocal in their support of the Illinois senator. The two also attended a $1,000 per-person fundraiser for Obama in Miami last month.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Jodee AYn Perry

A-freakin-Men, Mr. Damon.

Ms. Palin looks good in person, but she's got next to nothing on paper. She's almost like a trophy wife...God help us if their ticket prevails and Senator McCain doesn't survive his term...

September 10, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  2. Justin in CA

I think he is right. We shouldn't have to spare peoples feelings when they are running for the most powerful job in the world. Palin wont even talk to the press about her views. That scares me. What are they hiding?

3. baby mama

who is Matt Damon please?? why should I listen to him please??

4. serena fix

Given his age and medical history his decision to choose Palin as his backup reveals reckless and irresponsible judgement.

5. kevin

Are you kidding me? Obama has ZERO experience for the presidency. He was a do-nothing state legislator, and a do nothing Senator. He is a pathetic empty suit and his fervent supporters are frightening in their sheer stupidity and hypocrisy. I hope he gets elected and America gets what it deserves – an even more worthless leader than we have now.

6. Ron

and what happens if obama's elected? we just got a preview of how he handles a little stress. the man is losing it, his voice is changing he's calling people names, he's spending tons of money to find dirt, not on his opponent but on a running mate. and that we want for a president. i don't think so.

7. J. Sully, New York

I agree completely with Matt Damon. Thanks for telling the truth. In fact, my sister and I were thinking about writing a screenplay about this whole debacle. In fact it would probably be sold as a horror script.

8. Carol Wallace

Matt Damon hit the nail on the head. I agree 100%, the thought of "President Palin" is terrifying. He does all of us a service by voicing this thought in public. I hope he keeps on saying this whenever and wherever he can. Everyone must give this some serious thought.

9. Lisa Van Aken

Matt is a good and smart man, telling it like it is. They don't want us to get to know her or ask her any hard questions.

10. Seatttle

Amen to that!

11. Jasen Rogers

And how is an actor's opinion front page news? Where is the counter balance of the actor saying what a great president she would make? Our country has a tendency to follow the media and Hollywood like sheep. We take anything printed or said as gospel. This shouldn't even be news.

12. Doreen

Thank you Matt for an absolulte truthful statement concerning the "decorated" Governor of Alaska!!! I am amazed everyday that anyone supports this woman and what she stands for on women's issues alone – but don't get me started. She needs to be slapped down off her high horse. I can't wait for the debates to begin – let the real Palin be seen for what she is!!!

13. Bradley

In about an hour I'm sure there will be a McCain ad attributing Matt Damon's comments to the Obama campaign. "Ready to lead, no. Ready to smear, yes."

You can put lipstick on Matt Damon, but he's still Matt Damon. Uh-oh! I guess I just made a sexist remark about Sarah Palin.

14. Bill

As a Democrat who is NOT voting for Obama, I would have to ask Matt Damon how much we know about Obama? We know nothing. He arrives on the political scene and the world thinks he is wonderful. After only 143 days in the Senate? Obama does not answer questions. He just spouts of the ideals of the Democratic party. Which, I am already aware of. At least Palin governed people before.

The Democrats, my party, turned their back on Hillary Clinton, so I am turning my back on them.

One less vote for Obama. I am a McCain-Palin Democrat!

15. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

McCain May Have Opened Door For Charges That He Is A Sexist

"I don't know if the McCain campaign wants to go there," said an operative.

16. John McPain

Not a Damon fan, but sounds like he has at least looked at what Pain really stands for. Book banning and forcing her views on people, lies and more lies, sounds like Hitler to me. Except her health care plan is worse.

Please look at the issues and don't screw US again. You play $4,000 or more for health care under McCain and could lose your plan and never get one if you get cancer in that time.

Is all of this garbage worth it to you????

17. teena

Well said! Totally agree with Matt.

18. W O W WO W

M A T T,,,,,,,,,R E S P E C T,,,,,,,, Y O U R,,,,,,,,,,,,,E L D E R S,,,,,,,,G E T,,,,,,

O U T,,,,,,,,,O F,,,,,,,,,,,T H E,,,,,,,,,,,G U T T E R,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAH

19. The Voice of Common Sense (Independent Voter - Charlotte, NC

Like his comment really matters...

20. donna

It actually terrifies me that anyone would listen to what Matt Damon has
    to say. I would much rather have Sarah Palin in office than Obama. At least she would not be trying to take money away from the people who
    actually work hard to earn it & give it to the people who don't or won't
    earn it. Obama is like a bad dream or shall I say nightmare.

21. Nova

Trust me I totally agree, the thought alone makes me unable to sleep. I do give praise to the state of Iowa who 95% white voted for a man based on his issues and stance as opposed to the color of his skin sounds like a great place in my book!

22. McPalin 08

Please Hollywood elites, keep blathering.....

23. Gayle

I agree also-this woman shows no sense of true intelligence or ability to lead a country. I can't believe people have actually fallen for this ruse. McCain lost my vote-but I'm not interested in Obama either. It's sad to think we have no one with any real plan or ideas to lead our country.

24. Ohioan

I concur with Mr. Damon's view. Mrs. Palin's extreme views on social issues and lack of national and international experiences form a perfect storm for this country.

My take on her selection is that she is an empty vase that the Republican Party puts out in the front of a shop in an attempt to attract customers. If Mr. McCain and Mrs. Palin are elected to the White House, the Karl Rove and Dick Cheney type of GOPs will take over and run this country into ground.

NO McCain/Palin 08!

25. female professor

I don't know how people can support a candidate who does not allow people to ask questions. If a student refuses to take an exam, he/she gets an F, not an A. I gave Palin an F.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14