September 11th, 2008

Bill Clinton predicts big Obama win

ALT TEXT

Sen. Obama met with former president Clinton in Harlem Thursday in their first extended sit-down meeting since Obama defeated Sen. Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primaries. (Photo Credit: Getty Images)

NEW YORK (CNN) - Former President Bill Clinton predicted Barack Obama will "win" this fall's election and "will win pretty handily.”

The two men chatted with reporters in a photo-op at Clinton's Harlem office before sitting down for a private lunch.

Clinton is scheduled to campaign for Obama in Florida later this month. According to aides, the former president will appear at a mix of fundraisers and campaign events on behalf of the Democratic ticket throughout the fall.

"We're putting him to work," said Obama.

Clinton said he’d "agreed to do a substantial number of things, whatever I'm asked to do.”

Obama smiled at Clinton's prediction that he would take the White House: "There you go, you can take it from the President of the United States. He knows a little something about politics."

The image of the two men meeting comes as a relief to many Democrats who have been hoping to put to rest the "Clinton-Obama rift" storyline. Both Clintons praised Obama in their convention speeches, but agreed a face-to-face meeting with the president was a necessary step in putting the contentious primary season behind both camps.

The two men were said to be dining on a mix of sandwiches, salads and pizza from the lunch chain Cosi.

1. gordaleen harbourne

What kind of a country gives sooooo much air time to the lip stick story and just adds a dash of what should have been the real story on the sex ad that mcsame put out about obama , do you people actually alow your candiates to bull like that and defunk someones character in what I would think is a serious election, shame on you.If a candiate is willing to go to such extremes to pay for an ad like that to lie to the people ...cnn you had better make sure the people know the truth..
    Sara is a campaign gimmic , thats all she is to mcsame , he loves the attention she is giving him, but if and lets hope not he gets in she will not even have a voice KEEPEN YOU HONEST AMERICA!

September 11, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  2. Carol

Oh yea............ Clinton has to be saying that and putting on a "face" He wants to get ? some kind of JOB in the next admin if at all?possible.
    BUT heres the REAL DEAL – John McCain doesn't really have a place for him, and so he'll just have to write another BOOK. Maybe he & Hillary can team up? You think? Or better still he can CO-AUTHOR with Obama. POSSIBLE TITLE " HOW TO LOOSE A JOB CHOOSING / BACKING THE WRONG CANDIDATE"
    It's not about the PARTY it's about the CANDIDATE and EXPERIENCE. OUR NATION NEEDS AN EXPERIENCED LEADER FROM DAY ONE. On the job training only cuts it in the private sector like community service jobs. We have too many world issues as well as issues on the home front to worry about. TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT RUSSIA and VENEZUELA – they are getting together off OUR SHORES ! Is this a national security issue? Do we want to WAIT and SEE if it becomes one? I don't think so. We need to be on top of every issue from the start. THINK ABOUT IT – WHO DO YOU WANT IN YOUR CORNER – EXPERIENCE or an ON THE JOB TRAINEE ? ? ? ?
    McCAIN/PALIN '08 McCAIN/PALIN '08 McCAIN/PALIN '08

September 11, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  3. Derek

Like Bill Clinton I also think Obama will have a landslide victory.
    If Rove says Attacking Palin is dumb for OBAMA, then the opposite is true.

September 11, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  4. R.E.S.P.E.C.T.!

Win big? Win at all? I love Bill but he's being to nice and so is Hillary!

September 11, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  5. AMERICANS ARE OUTRAGED BY THIS FRAUD - PALIN PUPPET

I'M A HOCKEY MOM – DONT ATTACK ME
    I'M AN EX-BEAUTY QUEEN – DONT ATTACK ME
    I'M A TOOL FOR JOHN McSAME – DONT ATTACK ME
    I READ ONE-LINE ZINGER FROM PREPARED SPEECHES – DONT ATTACK ME
    I'M A VICTIM BECAUSE I'M ONLY A WOMAN – DONT ATTACK ME
    I DONT KNOW WHAT VEEPEE DOES – DONT ATTACK ME
    I'M HOLLER UPSTAIRS – DONT ATTACK

SARAH PALINA: WHINNING & WAILING – NO SUBSTANCE, NO SHAME!

GOD BLESS AMERICA IF AMERICANS ARE DECEIVED BY THIS FRAUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

September 11, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  6. Desperate all-caps typists need prozac

Tonight on the Rachel Madcow Show on MSNBC:

Desperation sets in over the democratic party!!! I mean...uh.....the DNC takes a moment to honor its past...and uh.....Keith? Hey, Olbermann, how should I spin this now?

September 11, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  7. ProudDemocrat

With the exception of few idiots and ignorants bigots, I believe most American are not insane to vote for Mccain , I have no doubt our next president is Obama.

September 11, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  8. AMD

Thank you soo much Mr. President. Bill will give Obama the direction he needs to win! Obama/Biden all the way ! Everyone knows why McCain chose Palin... A game that most Republicans play! You know what I mean....

September 11, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  9. Ed

I also predict Obama will win. The tied will soon turn away from McShame once people pay attention and realize what a horrible thing it would be to have four more years of the last 8 years. Obama is THE ONE ONE that can delivery change, talk about the real issues and bring a prosperous shift in America's economy, jobs, national security, health care, housing, energy, the environment and so many other issues that have been ripped apart by the republicans.

Vote Obama-Biden !!

September 11, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  10. David

Joseph- Clinton was impeached. Articles of impeahment were brought against him. that means he was inpeached. Whether you are removed from office or not has nothing to do with it.

September 11, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  11. Mark tempe,AZ

In Arizona McSame is not liked at all. Gore had the same problem in his state and lost. Obama will be President.

September 11, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  12. TROY

I'm a vet who had respect for McCain. After viewing his sex education television ad, all respect was gone...Sorry John, vet or not, you just lost me. I will be voting for Obama.

September 11, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  13. Anonymous

clinton wasn't impeached, he finished his tour of duty as president
    -----

Clinton was impeached by the House of Representatives; however, he was not convicted by the Senate, which would have removed him from office.

September 11, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  14. Jerry Ohio

That nice to see President Clinton with Obama that what you call united And President Clinton is telling the true Obama going to win unless Republican going to steal the election like last election

Obama/Biden 08
    Hillary/Michelle 16

September 11, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  15. Sonia

This makes me very happy happy. I feel my family has made amends. I love Bill Clinton and I feel he's an elder of the Democratic Party. Barak could use his wisdom.

September 11, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  16. Lipstick Laden Pig

Wow, CNN must be DESPERATE for distractions from Obama's plummeting poll #s that they're posting an article about lunch.

September 11, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  17. Palin 2012

Pumas,

Please take your pig Hillary back to the farm. We will win this election without you.

Palin 2012

September 11, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  18. real, educated, no lipstick and caring mothers

Charlotte........what are you smocking? get real like us

pow?..nah... more like Pitiful Old Warmonger

as to the one to nowhwere...well...it is to nowhere

September 11, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  19. Paris

Biden: "“She’s a truly close personal friend and she is qualified to be President of the United States of America, she’s easily qualified to be Vice President of the United States of America and quite frankly it might have been a better pick than me,”

Even his VP is doubting Obama’s judgment.

Obama the egoistical man who couldn’t pick Hillary with 18 million vote behind her.

September 11, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  20. nancy sabet

""We're putting him to work," said Obama."

I think first Clinton needs to teach him so manners. About Bill's prediction!! I am not so sure, I believe Hussien will loose big.

September 11, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  21. throw up

please – jsut what we need is a dis-honest prior president giving advice and help to another dis-honest nominee for president. this is just so sick. keep in mind that Bill Clinton AND Hillary both said numerous times that Obama was not ready to lead this country. Oh wait you probably all forgot that little tid-bit of information!

September 11, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  22. Chipster

Jason,
    Perhaps you see things differently but that does not mean that others are lying because you disagree. First of all, the "pig" comment was about McCain's policies and had nothing to do with a person so you need not set that one aside, just admit the McCain campaign tried to change the subject from policies to nonsense.

Second, second Sen. Obama pointed out McCain's hypocracy for claiming he had little experience and then selecting a VP candidate that has about 15 minutes of experience and relatively little education. Those are not attacks against Gov. Palin.

So, what are your priorities. Are you content with the economic disaster that the last 6-7 years have created? Has your job been outsourced – YET? Do you seriously believe our federal agencies are being competently managed? Does it bother you at all that the war in Iraq was based on a stack of lies and distortions?

September 11, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  23. Golden

I am still amazed of how many people out there see the state of this country and consider electing another Republican as President. If you people are that foolish, you deserve whatever comes next. Some of you are either blind, dumb, or both.

September 11, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  24. jn

Charlotte..who cares what you think!!! Obama all the way..Thanks Bill for all you are going to do!

Obama/Biden 08

September 11, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  25. erinmadangel

I take issue with the fact that because Palin is a female, she is not allowed to be scrutinized and any faults found should not be used against her. I am a female and I resent that! She entered this race knowing what she was getting into – her background is going to be scrutinized (deservedly so) and if anything is found, then it should be shared just like Obama, McCain and Biden's skeletons will be shared and used against each of them. Palin accepted the nomination, she should be as much a target as the gentlemen who are running in this race. Grow up America – for women who want the same power as their male counterparts, they deserve the same scrutiny as men who want power!

September 11, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |