September 11th, 2008

Father: Palin showed grit at early age

Chuck Heather, Palin's father, says it hasn't settled in yet that his daughter, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, is running for vice president.

WASILLA, Alaska (CNN) - Gov. Sarah Palin's father never imagined that his "little girl" would run for the vice presidency, but he knows his daughter's determination made her a success when others, including himself, expected her to fail.

"I look back on Sarah's perseverance, and whatever she wanted to do, she put her nose to the grindstone, especially in sports," Chuck Heath told CNN in an extensive interview in his Wasilla, Alaska, home. "If she didn't have a certain ability, she worked and worked and worked until she obtained that ability or skill."

Sen. John McCain, the Republican presidential nominee, surprised the political world when he picked Palin, a first-term governor from Alaska, to be his running mate nearly two weeks ago. The interview with Palin's father will be included in "Sarah Palin Revealed," a documentary that will air on CNN at 9 p.m. ET Saturday and Sunday.

Heath, a retired science teacher and coach who now works with the federal Wildlife Services Program, said his daughter started exhibiting her stubborn streak at an early age.

"Sarah, she was something else," he said. "I wasn't mean to her. I was stern with her, but I could seldom bend her if she made up her mind on something."

Full story

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Freedom Lovin' Patriot

I just LUV George W. Palin ... I mean Sarah Rove ...I mean Dick Palin....OH! NEVERMIND!

September 11, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  2. DJ Los Angeles

Yeah enough of Palin already CNN. Anderson Cooper took it to the extreme last night.

Ok we got the memo. The media is obsessed and she's cute. Cute and popular with Wal-Mart mom's doesn't justify the media circus.

September 11, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  3. Jack

Blood is thicker than water.....but most Republicans are starting to turn and distance themselves from Palin and McCain!
    (Most Republicans want to save their own rear ends).
    VOTE OBAMA

September 11, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  4. Pam

This makes how many stories on the Ticker devoted to Caribou Barbie today?

September 11, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  5. Nate

Oh Goody, my $3269.00 dollar check hits my bank account tonight issued from the State of Alaska to myself and each of my four kids. Hmmm, five checks at $3269.00, that's a whole lot of relief at the pump. Thank you Sarah!! You've earned my vote.

September 11, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  6. PITBULL BE----ACH!

I'D LIKE TO SEE HER IN A RING WITH HILLARY.

September 11, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  7. Joey

Don't let it set in. It won't be long and she can come home to daddy. Remember, lipstick on a pig is still a pig.

September 11, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  8. Don

She sure does like to exploit her family at every turn. When do we get to hear Ms. Palin to answer SERIOUS questions from the media and stop the party spin pablum? I feel the most bad for her youngest son Trig who has special needs.

September 11, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  9. Foo Man Jew

And then she got first in the spell bee ... is this an after school movie?

September 11, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  10. Freedom Loving Patriot (God fearing too!)

Republicans need a Palinectomy....

Off you trot to the proctologist !

September 11, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  11. Erin

Ok, I have to say that it is pretty telling (and sad) that CNN as well as the rest of the media has to grasp at every little tidbit of information about Sarah...who?...oh yeah, Sarah Palin! You have showcased more interviews with her family, her "family friends", her disgruntled ex-family (i.e. ex brother-in-law), blah, blah, blah. Can we have some unbiased and non-familial information about the woman who is running to be VP! Or better yet, CAN YOU ALL STOP TALKING ABOUT HER 24/7!!!

Give me a break, no one, dems or republicans wanted to see McCain in the oval office before Palin, and now we are all supposed to fall over ourselves for a woman that no one knows anything about, and that is being shielded from the media, and speaks from teleprompters at every speach and rally....

Wake up America! Don't let these Republican magicians fool you all over again!

P.S. I am a "white" woman, and a mother!!!!

September 11, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  12. Palin has more experience than Obama

The way all the dems are going crazy about Palin lets you know it is a good pick McCain made.

Palin has more experience than Obama.

September 11, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  13. ABC

I found most comments supporting Obama had fun scolding ladies: Hillary Clinton earlier, and now Palin. Why?

September 11, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  14. OBSERVERING

P A L I N---I S--–H O P E---F O R---A L L---O F -–U S

please post this

September 11, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  15. KC

Part of why I am a little worried about how she will handle things is I have a very strong feeling that she is "unbending" America is to divers to have any one side unbending. Look what happend with Bush, he wanted something(war with Iraq) and he did everything to get it. I also see this trait in McCain, if he does not get what he wants he blows up. I am sorry but I just can't see this county put thru another 4 yrs of UNBENDING, SHOOT FROM THE HIP, I AM ALWAYS RIGHT, in the white house.

September 11, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  16. 9999

S H E---R O CK S !!!

S
    H
    E

R
    O
    C
    K
    S

September 11, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  17. Doug R.

Hey CNN...report the issues, not what someones father thinks about their daughter. You've been giving McCain and Palin a free and easy ride. People are disgusted with theese two liars.

September 11, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  18. Lee

Dems only want to rip people apart. Get to the substance and issues pleeeease!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sarah and John are going to clean house of both parties. The crooked bum's who deal with the crooked lobbiests are going to get their clocks cleaned. BTW Biden's son is a Washington LOBBIEST!

McCain – Palin 2008

September 11, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  19. Brenda in Detroit

it hasn't settled in yet because he knows she is not qualified...can you say NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME?

September 11, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  20. kacee

Palin is finished. . . the party's over!....literally!

September 11, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  21. Helene

You mean she was a cocky wacko already ?

September 11, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  22. Howdy

Can we talk about the issues please?

September 11, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  23. Canta

Oh I forgot, I did all this while having 8 children at home........Just call me Super Mom

September 11, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  24. Anonymous

Nate September 11th, 2008 4:23 pm ET

-----------–

And here we have the secret to Palin's approval rating in Alaska.

She's absolutely full of grit.

September 11, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  25. Obama/Biden 08

For a woman who he claims reads the newspaper front to back, should know what Fannie Mae and Freddie mac are and what is going on with it!!!

September 11, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |