September 11th, 2008

Former GOP senator calls Palin a 'cocky wacko'

Former Rhode Island Sen. Lincoln Chafee has words for Sarah Palin.
Former Rhode Island Sen. Lincoln Chafee has words for Sarah Palin.

(CNN) – Former Rhode Island Sen. Lincoln Chafee was known for keeping a low-key profile on Capitol Hill, but the Republican -turned -Independent is making waves with his exceedingly blunt comments on newly-minted Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin:

She's a "cocky wacko," he told a Washington think tank earlier this week.

WATCH: Chafee make the remarks

Chafee, the lone Senate Republican to vote against the Iraq war who endorsed Obama's White House bid earlier this year, told an audience at the New America Foundation in Washington Tuesday that Palin's selection has energized Obama backers.

"People were coming into my office, phone calls were flooding in, e-mails were coming in, 'I just sent money to Obama, I couldn't sleep last night' - from the left. To see this cocky wacko up there," he said.

He also described McCain's candidacy as "lackluster” and described the selection of Palin as a throwing "this firestorm, this tornado, into the whole presidential election."

Chafee, whose father served as senator from Rhode Island from 1976 until his death in 1999, narrowly lost his re-election bid two years ago to Democrat Sheldon Whitehouse amid that election cycle’s wave of anti-Republican sentiment.

Chafee made a stir earlier this year when he directly called out Democrats who supported the Iraq war and were now expressing regret for their vote.

“I find it surprising now, in 2008, how many Democrats are running for president after shirking their constitutional duty to check and balance this president,” he wrote in his January 2008 book, “Against the Tide.” “Being wrong about sending Americans to kill and be killed, maim and be maimed, is not like making a punctuation mistake in a highway bill."

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Daniel IN VIRGNIA -FORMER DEM.

THAT SHOWS THAT THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY IS SCARED OF LOSING THE ELECTION.
    WELL BARAK. YOU DUMPED HILLARY.YOU WILL PAY FOR IT.

GO SARAH""' OUR NEW VICE PRESIDENT..
    VIRGINIA IS RED.

September 12, 2008 08:21 am at 8:21 am |
  2. John B. From New Hampshire

wow, for the first time in my life, i agree with a Republican. And what's with no one asking her tough questions about her questionable past last night? Here's to looking forward to the debates!!!

OBama '08

September 12, 2008 08:21 am at 8:21 am |
  3. Frank Lee

He is exactly right.

If, God forbid, Palin ever gets elected she'll make Cheney look like Mother Theresa.

This woman is nuts.

September 12, 2008 08:21 am at 8:21 am |
  4. NObama, Virginia

If Obama was the One ordained by GOD, why aren't christians behind him?

McCain / Palin 2008!

September 12, 2008 08:21 am at 8:21 am |
  5. KAREN

THIS MAN IS SIMLPY RESNTFUL OF A WOMAN WHO EARNED HER JOB THE HONEST WAY. HE OF COURSE GOT IN BY BEING HIS DADDY'S LITTLE BOY, THIS AWS VOTED OUT WHEN HIS IGNORANCE WAS DISCOVERED.

September 12, 2008 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  6. Florida Democrat

Cocky Wackos get elected by other cocky wackos. They are all over the place.

September 12, 2008 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  7. Pat

I couldn't agree more.

I am a Canadian who loves the USA too.
    God help us all if
    McBush & Pailin make it to the White House.

A Maverick and a Pitbull – That spells trouble for everyone!

The whole world needs Obama & Biden in the White House.

Pat in Canada

September 12, 2008 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  8. Roberto

I want a president team that thinks war is the last option, not the first.

Obama – Biden '08

September 12, 2008 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  9. Michael "C" Lorton. Virginia

Cocky Waco........forgot the lipstick. She is just an earthy frontier governor.

September 12, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  10. janet

A cocky wacko...that is a real bright comment supposedly comming from a professional man. No wonder he wasn't re-elected. He probabally got elected riding his fathers coattails.

September 12, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  11. Tony

So when will it end? Got nothing with substance? Looks like anytime anyone from any party disagrees with someone, out come the name calling, defamatory labels that does nothing but shows the depth of ignorance. I hope McCain/Palin wins and changes the good old boy system in Washington starting with those who's been in there the longest, because they will exposed as being so out of touch from main stream America. its time to get people in office that do not put party loyalty first, but lead with principle.

September 12, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  12. Jon Hussein Norwood Augusta,GA

She is a wacko. She answered all of her questions last night as if they were scripted....hmmmm. Does she have an original thought?

oooops!My bad! I apologize...

All of her own thoughts are crazy nutty.She needs to stick to the GOP script! :)

Obama-Biden

September 12, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  13. JDC // Ohio

Everybody knows Lincoln Chaffee is a liberal nut case!

September 12, 2008 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  14. Doug lewis

I have listened various time to both candidates. I have tried to deal with Mr Mccain and all of his accomplishements. But I really feel
    good about the insight that Mr Obama has displayed. He has shown some much more feeling in his speech's . I have no doubt that Mr Obama will at lease not get into the White House just to be there.
    He will bring the spirt back to America and also bring hope by giving
    all people .and give them a reason to build and retore there community. you see I can realate to a man such as Mr Obama and
    his young strong team. he has My deepest blessings. Stay the couse and continue to express The real issues in the country and the world.

September 12, 2008 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  15. Bridget

The fact that she holds naive and extremist views (sanctions for Russia...are you KIDDING me? They are a superpower just like us, lady, so get used to it) is enough for me not to vote for her. Yes, she is frightening.

Has anyone asked her to explain the difference between Sunni and Shiite, yet? I'm sincerely hoping that is a debate question!

September 12, 2008 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  16. TexicoFrom Mexico

Palin, well she has already started WWIII it seems. Sorry but Georgia is not worth killing 150 million Americans and 200 million Russians. Bold words from someone who is not even Vice President. Also it was funny that she add to add anything after Gibson asked her "have you ever met another head of state". Why can't the answer be just plain no! Not, No but if you look into history you will find that other VP have not either....now give me a break! Yes all former VP's had already met at least one head of state. Matt Damon is right, if the voters of Ohio, Indiana and Virginia cant see through all the GOP shams then something is terribly wrong with us, and maybe we do need to be nuked off the planet.

September 12, 2008 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  17. James

I like this guy :)

OH, and I agree: she is a cocky wacko. somewhat insane too.

September 12, 2008 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  18. mike

Should anyone wonder why this clown is a "former" representative.

September 12, 2008 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  19. Bob Beckner

Senator, or should I say x-Senator your comments about Gov Palin is like calling the Kettle black. You have alot of room to talk; you as an incumbent couldnt win your re-election. I would suggest you keep your comments to yourself. You wouldn't have been elected in the first place if it wern't for your Dad!

September 12, 2008 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  20. shirley

Any mother who would run for VP has certainly got mental problems or she is not the caring mother she claims to be. When you have a baby who is going to be a full time mother's responsibility how can she possibly leave him to travel to different countries and leave him in the care of her family or hired help. My daughter has a child with a disease that has him as a four year old for the rest of his life. She is a wonderful and caring Mom and would never abandon him to build her ego.

September 12, 2008 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  21. WOW - CONCERNED WOMEN

Palin = clown

I saw her interview last night = D (un-prepared) on a regular interview she would not get the job.

I hear Morning Joe this morning=F (stop trying to make excuses for her)

I trust in the America People = A (we know a fraud when we see one)

OBAMA/BIDEN 08

September 12, 2008 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  22. Pete from North Dakota

Palin makes me feel like Republicans must have felt about Hilary Clinton all of these years. She's SCARY!

September 12, 2008 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  23. Babs

That is what I started to call her too when I first heard her speak. :) Us liberals I guess think a like. :)

Obama/Biden '08

September 12, 2008 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  24. Kathryn Irby - Metairie, LA

I find it quite interesting that when Senator Obama announced that he would run for President of the United States, so many Republicans and Independents were saying, "Who is Barack Obama? We aren't familiar enough with him to vote for him." Yet, there has been no one any more unhead of than Sarah Palin, the nerdy Governor of Alaska!!! Go figure! From what I have observed of her on television, she comes across as so flattered to have been chosen as McCain's VEEP, which really makes her a KOOK! LOL!

September 12, 2008 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  25. Tony

And we wonder why he is not a Senator anymore. ......

September 12, 2008 08:32 am at 8:32 am |