September 11th, 2008

McCain, Obama joint appearance planned last week

McCain and Obama visited Ground Zero Thursday.
McCain and Obama visited Ground Zero Thursday.

(CNN) - The idea of a joint September 11 visit to Ground Zero by both John McCain and Barack Obama was in the works for less than a week, according to both campaigns.

Obama suggested the idea to McCain Friday afternoon when the Democratic presidential nominee called his Republican counterpart Friday, the day after the GOP convention ended, to congratulate him on his convention speech.

"[Obama] called after the convention speech, and over the course of the
discussion they mutually agreed to meet jointly in New York," said McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds.

The two men went to Ground Zero Thursday, entering the site together. Both candidates exchanged brief remarks and spoke with some of those on hand for the commemoration.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Steve

This was a good thing for both to do- Pause in a moment in time because this is the moment, the moment when we need to decide the path our country continues on.

September 11, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  2. jason, tx

It was a good idea.

September 11, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  3. Peter of Oregon

I'm not surprised it was Obama that reached out. I'm glad McCain followed Obama's leadership in this effort and met with him in NYC today.

September 11, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  4. Wisdom

Nice to have one day without them slamming each other...

Although the boards sure didn't take the day off...

September 11, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  5. Can we all agree on one thing?

Can we all agree that BOTH candidates love this country? Let's focus on the policies and vote with our brains. They are both patriotic, so let's decide who should be President based on who will best fix the mess Bush's failed policies created for us.

September 11, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  6. lou

Glad to see the childish low ball has taken a break to respect the victims.

September 11, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  7. Chi4Obama

Today, we unite for the love of America. And in rememberance for the victims-families of 9/11.

However, tomorrow the gloves come off........

September 11, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  8. McCain/Palin 08

When the propaganda of politics fades away, we are all Americans.

I congratulate both of them!

Democrat or Republican – all of this does not matter to the fallen in the 9-11 attack.

September 11, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  9. Dee Jay a young republican

Dos'nt McCain look look like a Dried Prume...

lol

September 11, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  10. Chris from NY

I am glad that Obama asked for the meeting. This shows the kind of man he is. A uniter and not a divider. A man that loves his country so much he tries to bring people together than tear them apart. That's the American spirit.

September 11, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  11. Cynthia

Does anyone notice how Senator McCain just walks ahead of his wife getting off planes, on stage, etc. Senator Obama, President Bush and other at least cup their wives arms when walking?

September 11, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  12. Chi4Obama

Let us remember that we are ALL Americans, regardless of party affiliation

(and yes Alaska, this includes you too...)

September 11, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  13. Elizabeth in Texas

Is that Obama's grandfather?

September 11, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  14. Schwartz

There can only be one...

McCain 08'

September 11, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  15. faye, NV

A LEADER INDEED OBAMA ASKING MCCAIN FOR A JOINT VISIT.

September 11, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  16. We're All Americans

This was a very positive idea, and I have nothing but good thoughts for both of the candidates. Today is a day of peace and reflection.

America 08

September 11, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  17. Enough !!!

McShame is such a panderer; I found it interesting that, in order to pay tribute to 9/11 victims, he chose to go to battleground state of PA instead of the Pentagon. Regardless of his shameless pandering, we'll let him know that 8 is ENOUGH.

September 11, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  18. EBC

This picture is too funny, it's like John McCain is saying "you need to talk into my good ear boy, I can't hear anything out of this ear".... ha! ha!

September 11, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  19. FreeNLovIt

That's why I love this country! The Republican Fighting Machine is battery-operated by the Democrats. One cannot live without the other.

September 11, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  20. Go Dems

Now THAT is reaching across the aisle! Barack made the first effort to show unity even during this important political season!

GO Obama Biden!

September 11, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  21. Dee Jay a young republican

WHY IS CINDY ALWAYS IN THE SPOTLIGHT

Go home u wanna be super star

September 11, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  22. Ron

I find it funny, that on September 11th, with all that's going on, and how both sides wear there pride for the military on their sleeves, not one candidate decided to pay a visit to any military personnel while on their trip to NYC. Yes, we are here, and for Senator Obama, We were right across the street from Pres. Clinton's office. We heard the cheers, and were all hoping you would stop by and say hell. Alas, that never took place.

September 11, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  23. Independent

Hmm you know I once thought Obama was all for show...but now that I am starting to see more of him, I must say I am impressed.

On the other hand McCain has greatly dissapointed me this election season. I have felt like I was in an alternate universe where the McCain I am seeing now could not possibly be the same man I so respected a few years ago.

I am not completely sold on Obama but McCain you have completely lost me...

Obama you have only a few days to convince me...let me see what you can do!

September 11, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  24. KenB, MI

It would seem that Obama has many good ideas even before the election to reach out across the hall...

However it would also appear that Rove has a lot of bad ideas...regardless of being payed so much money for thinking up so many bad ideas...

I know good ideas are priceless.

Obama-Biden '08

September 11, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  25. Chi4Obama

Finally,

An article that doesn't make reference to America's "favorite VP Candidate" with the initials S.P.

September 11, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |