September 11th, 2008

Palin says she didn't hesitate to take VP slot

Gov. Sarah Palin arrived back in Alaska on Wednesday night.
Gov. Sarah Palin arrived back in Alaska on Wednesday night.

(CNN) - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin says she "didn't blink" when Sen. John McCain offered her the Republican vice presidential nomination and is confident she could handle the duties of president if necessary.

"I answered him yes, because I have the confidence in that readiness and knowing that you can't blink," Palin told ABC News in her first interview since accepting the No. 2 slot on the GOP ticket.

"You have to be wired in a way of being so committed to the mission, the mission that we're on - reform of this country and victory in the war. You can't blink. So I didn't blink then even when asked to run as his running mate," she said.

Full story

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Honorable Kansas Vet

Why should she have hesitated, its her one and only shot at the national spot light.

September 11, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  2. Jenna

This is turning point time folks. Will America progress or will we be run by the those who mock education, knowledge and intelligence? Will this election be the start of America's Dark Ages?

This woman will be heartbeat away from the Presidency – she has been out of the country one time. She forced woman in her town to pay for rape kits, she doesn't know a thing about world events.

Come on people – the future of America is at stake here. This isn't a cutsy reality show. This is our reality.

Any woman who votes for this woman because "she is just like me", "She has kids like me." or for any other inane reason should hang her head in shame.

September 11, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  3. Concerned Canuck

I envision a United States in perpetual war if someone with this lack of judgment is allowed to take office.

Americans, please don't let that happen. The world is truly watching – especially your closest friend and ally, Canada.

September 11, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  4. Gina

I am appalled about the McCain's pick of this totally unprepared woman to be the VP – it is pathetic. But I am also outraged at the Republican strategy of using this woman as a pawn in their game. She is being a "good soldier", but is clearly being used (and doesn't seem to even be aware of that) and is so out of her leauge it is laughable. I used to have some respect for McCain, but he has moved into the Bush/Cheney/Rove camp – do whatever you need to win – don't think about what is best for our country. I hope that the majority of Americans in this country realize that this is another cheap thick by the Repubs and I hope the joke isn't on us.

September 11, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  5. Gina

I am appalled by McCain's pick of this totally unprepared woman to be the VP – it is pathetic. But I am also outraged at the Republican strategy of using this woman as a pawn in their game. She is being a "good soldier", but is clearly being used (and doesn't seem to even be aware of that) and is so out of her leaue it is laughable. I used to have some respect for McCain, but he has moved into the Bush/Cheney/Rove camp – do whatever you need to win – don't think about what is best for our country. I hope that the majority of Americans in this country realize that this is another cheap thick by the Repubs and I hope the joke isn't on us.

September 12, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  6. JN

I have to say this...Why do the Repubs pick on the Dems when you never explain real reasons why she is the better candidate..all you do is start up on Obama...If you like her views as repubs fine..but you also have to respect peoples views that don't agree with you...I'm tired of you making fun of the democrats and saying wer are nasty but you never have anything about her to back up your claims. She was terrible in the interview...that was the truth..I don't want her running this country at all. I love Barack's judgement and ability to lead...If John McSame had this same ability, Pailn would never have been brought to this ticket...and that is no lie!!!

September 12, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  7. Paul

The worm has turned. The Rep.s are now turning on each other...some can't run fast enough from the McCain/Palin ticket. The party's over....literally!

September 12, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  8. Anna PA

Jeremy. Did you watch that interview? I bet a well informed high school student could debate Palin and have a good chance of winning the debate.

You really think she is capable for the job? She most likely would never become president but why would anyone take that chance. She is in no way even close to being up for the task for V.P. Don't you think being familiar with The Bush Doctrine would be important, for as much as she talked about war!

September 12, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  9. Ana

What is going on in this country? Is it only educated people who can see that this lady has less than two months to learn about what is going on OUTSIDE ALASKA!!!!
    She knows NOTHING about what is going on in the world, she probably doesnt even know who the president of Russia is until this past week!!!
    CAN YOU AMERICANS REALLY BELIEVE THAT SOMEONE CAN LEARN ABOUT WORLD AFFAIRS IN 55 OR SO DAYS???

Can you people really see this lady talking about anything with the president of Russia, Iran,N. Korea,France, Germany or anywhere besides Wasilla!!!!!
    UNBELIEVABLE.....

September 12, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  10. John B

WOW. You could see her inexperience and struggles right out of the gate....

She couldn't answer the "task from God" question at all b/c she was caught with her own words later on, and she's talking about war with russia, attacking Iran if Israel says so without second guessing them, and challenging Pakistan's borders by doing whatever it takes no matter what?

She has no idea what to do......

September 12, 2008 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  11. E.C.Coleman

OF Course Palin didn't hesitate to accept the VP Candidacy! She's so on target and quite obviously more qualified than Obama, the Presidential candiate. Governor Palin shocked the country, and it was a Good Thing to see Senator McCain ask her to be on his ticket. She's a natural and highly movtivated and a breath of Fresh Air.... As a bonus, Obama has EGG ON HIS FACE...........Ha Ha Ha HA!!! Obama is so UNQUALIFIED AND SO UNEXPERIENCED for the JOB!

September 12, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  12. Melissa Petoskey, MI

WOW. I had seen highlights of the interview earlier tonite. Some of the stuff sounded like Obama's foreign policy views, some sounded made up. So she's saving the big guns for the debate with Biden, right? Because if this is all she can bring to the table, she is as sure as doomed October 2nd.

September 12, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  13. Hillary Supporter,definately voting for Obama

I guess all the running this past couple weeks is taking the toll on her. I thought she looked like she needed a make over. Her hair looked greasy or over sprayed; but then she did see her son off to war today.

She kept saying "Charlie" which irritated me. I kept having the feeling that I was listening to a Beauty Pageant Contestant answering her questions for the competition. Like she was struggling to get the answer, & got a subject that she didn't have a clue about.

She did worse than I thought she would do. I'm really concerned if McCain wins. So glad to see others that are expressing the same concerns I'm having. She's no "Hillary."

Don't tell my husband though, because he is a die-hard Republican & thinks she did ok.

September 12, 2008 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  14. Independent

She is clueless. I guess you can't cram the whole world in your head in a couple of weeks. McCain is reckless for putting this woman up next for president.

September 12, 2008 12:26 am at 12:26 am |
  15. Linda

OMG! People will fall for this woman because of her beauty? You think you will defend Georgia because Georgia NATO member.

This really proves how low IQ Palin is. Russia is also NATO member.
    You think other NATO members will join you to have another war?
    This is called foreign policy. And Palin, you just get a "F".

September 12, 2008 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  16. Susan - Canada

To anyone who thinks Charlie Gibson was unfair in asking her about the Bush Doctrine....you're right....I bet almost all of your average citizens don't know what it is...I'm a Canadian and have never heard of it..... but I'm not and neither are the average citizens, RUNNING FOR VICE-PRESIDENT (if she's so smart, etc., and in politics, should she should not have known what it was?).

September 12, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  17. Fair and Logical

If you think Palin is being treated unfairley because of this interview you are sexist!

September 12, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |