September 11th, 2008

Live-blogging with The Best Political Team

Weigh in with CNN's analysts and contributors.
Weigh in with CNN's analysts and contributors.

(CNN) –On the anniversary of the September 11 attacks, presidential candidates John McCain and Barack Obama each take the stage to discuss service and civic engagement in a forum at Columbia University.

What do you think of their ideas? How does the role of service determine what kind of nation we live in? What does national service mean to you?

Along with CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley, CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider, CNN Political Analyst Roland Martin, and Republican strategist Bay Buchanan, thousands of you weighed in.

Click "comments" below for a look at the entire conversation.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
soundoff (4,056 Responses)
  1. WRM

Why can't they talk about anything with more immediate impact on our economy - for instance: With Gustav and Ike and the damage they have done to Cuba and Haiti, and considering the damage that Ike is likely to do to our oil supplies, along with Russian bombers landing in Venezuela,why don't we renege in Georgia, back off Russia, make a quick but long lasting deal for oil with Venezuela, and offer statehood to Cuba in exchange for their opening the country up to American homebuilders to help Cuba recover from the devastation of the storms. Our current point in time offers the new president a way to reverse, in a few years, what the Bush family has destroyed over many years. We could again be friend of the World while improving our economy in the process. But, no, Mcain is trying to stir up a 1970's debate on ROTC. And you guys are debating who said if first and who said it more intellectually. Talk about something useful.

2. Gallup, FSM, Palin

I read that McCain actually had a lead in the polls, and I wonder about the polls.

I actually got a call from Gallup two days ago. I answered the first thirty or forty questions. The next one was about religion. I don't really have a religion so I probably should have said I didn't have a religion. But instead I said I believe in Flying Spaghetti Monsterism. After that, the person from Gallup did not have any more questions.

This leads me to wonder if people with unusual religious understanding are under-represented in the polls, and what other built-in biases there must be to the polling process. I also started to wonder if there is a bias. It could have just been a coincidence.

Besides that my main impression of the campaigns recently is that Palin is such a strong orator, and I don't trust a person who doesn't blink once in a while.

I heard Palin on the radio today saying "When McCain becomes President, ..." and to me that is a lie because nobody knows the future until the votes are actually counted.

3. Blackknight

I think we need more people volunteering to be tutors at the high school in my neighborhood. I think the increased productivity of the average american worker has decreased time spent volunteering.

4. Tera

Since when did it become a bad thing to have a thoughtful nuanced answer. I think one of the problems with this country is that we want this quick 30 second answer to everything. NOTHING IS BLACK AND WHITE!!!! I'll take nuance over 30 seconds at any time. It means you thought about your position. I get nervous when folks just fly out of the mouth. It means most of the time that you didn't think!!

5. Permanently Confused

I think that when the debates come, people will see how much more calm and collected Obama is. They will also see how McCain would rather attack than process the situation.

6. Jake D

Rolland, your right, he messed up big time and this is a great example of his versatility and willingness to change his approach

7. Colin

I find the medias coverage of the campaign to be very biased towards McCain at this point. He is not being grilled on the hard questions while at the same time they are grilling Obama on every little detail about his record. I sense an agenda here and its not too hard to imagine where from. McCain's claims as a veteran make me sick. As a veteran myself I'm offended by McCains almost absolute abandonment of this countries veterans. He really should have some shame, he is more than willing to send men and women to die but he isn't willing to pay to take care of them when they get home and need medical and psychological support. Its clear to me who McCain really is and its a disgrace.

8. Caroline in Michigan

who moderates this and why can't I post? A Canadian is posting and I cannot?!

Barack is doing great! He is a breath of fresh air and hopefully people will get back on track and the Palin distraction will come to an end.

I find it disturbing that it has all degenerated into "Entertainment Tonight" type of nonsense.

9. DREW79

I may have changed my vote due to this forum/interview

I change that i def changed my thought process on this election

10. DeeinNC

It'd be nice to know the rules for this blog since it seems impossible to post here more than twice if you are not a commentator. Sorry for being interested and wanting to exchange ideas in this forum:(

11. thad

Mccain should have never agreed to the setting. I cant wait until the debates. Obamas bottom lip is going to be as white and dry as it was when Oreilly interviewed him.

12. Franco Russo

Obama is avoiding the question on "Small time Mayor" and has turned it to victimize his belittling of community organizer

13. Keith

Talk about one sided garbage, – This show is a sham.

14. Brandon_MI

Jopat, Obama's answers aren't long and winding. I don't know what you're watching, but he's doing A LOT better tonight than he did at the Saddleback forum.

15. Jodi

McCain is my man. A man of respect, honorable, a man of his word, a man of great integrity. McCain has EARNED my vote.

16. Mr Ciar

Hello
    The Libertarian Party has nominated former Congressman Bob Barr, the Constitution Party has nominated pastor and radio talk show host Chuck Baldwin, and the Green Party has nominated former Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney. Ralph Nader declined to seek the Green Party nomination and is running as an independent candidate for President { PRESIDENT
    What makes the news reporters not report on all the runners for president. hmmmmm
    Cant we the people count higher than 2
    Arent we allowed all of the truth
    so we can make a better more informed choice
    an intellegent choice.
    put everything on the table then let us choose
    But then if we really did have a vote then that would be a CHANGE

17. Paris

Candy that is what experience gives you, more confidence and ease.
    Senator Obama is learning……..
    That is why you need experience to be the commander and chief of the United State.

18. glenn

McCain/Palin are running on Earmarks. They will stop Earmarks.

So What?

Will the economy be fixed when earmarks are stopped?
    Will the soldiers come home from Iraq when earmarks are fixed?

What else can they offer to me as a voter other than earmarks?

19. lostinthemadness

was that question asked of McCain?

20. Rob B.

Obama doesn't ride his life story McCain reminds people every other sentence about his POW status. Obama have some GREAT Ideas and the fact that it involves everyday people is refreshing. He is a thinking man's President and I think people are seeing it now. McCain can not ride his image to the white house.

21. Kevin

I'd like to know why B.O. believes that allowing babies who are the product of a failed abortion and have been born, they are alive, do not have the same rights as an adult. In 2001, he was the only person to stand on the Senate floor and speak against a Bill that would make this practice illegal. Christians do not practice Infantacide and they certainly are not in favor of killing innocent babies who are alive and well. Senator BO was the only person to actually stand and speak out against this Bill. Not shocking for a man whose response to what he would do if his daughter were to "make a mistake" and get pregnant; he would "get rid of it" because he wouldn't want her to be "punished for making a mistake". Wow !

22. Ann

I also want to know why the media report lies just because McCain and Co. say them. Why not record the statement and then do some actual reporting and note that the lies don't accord with the facts.

I also want to point out that the Bush fiscal record means WHOEVER becomes president will HAVE to ask for higher taxes.

23. I WANT THE TRUTH

BK we can't afford to not have his programs!

24. Barbara

Obama motivates me for the 1st time in 48 years (yes, I'm 65)

25. Liz

Yeah Obama worked on the streets, that's where he met Ayers, Rezko and Wright.

September 11, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163