September 11th, 2008

Live-blogging with The Best Political Team

Weigh in with CNN's analysts and contributors.
Weigh in with CNN's analysts and contributors.

(CNN) –On the anniversary of the September 11 attacks, presidential candidates John McCain and Barack Obama each take the stage to discuss service and civic engagement in a forum at Columbia University.

What do you think of their ideas? How does the role of service determine what kind of nation we live in? What does national service mean to you?

Along with CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley, CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider, CNN Political Analyst Roland Martin, and Republican strategist Bay Buchanan, thousands of you weighed in.

Click "comments" below for a look at the entire conversation.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
soundoff (4,056 Responses)
  1. mary

What a bore Mccain was!!!!! He had no specific answers for any of the questions that were asked. He side swiped all questions. Do not vote for mccain. if you heard palins interview she could not answer any foreign question. Does American really want this woman to be a hearbeat away from the presidency.. I don't agree with her shooting innocent moose and to have her kids particpate. She wants to kill polar bears, does not believe in pro choice,

2. mk

What is Obama talking about, he makes no sense, please give this man a telepromter.

3. Bill Schneider

Like a good Democrat, Obama wants government to be a source of inspiration.

That's not something Republicans talk about.

4. Mike in Chicago

Bay Buchanan said: this forum is not going to change a vote.

That's a republican strategist's way of saying that Obama has done much better than McCain in this forum.

5. Drich

We live in a society that is aroused by what they see, especially where I come from(SE Washington DC) If the Government does make it a bit more flashy or cool but diciplined...then I think it would have better numbers. I think the military commercials do fine though.

6. Paul Gillham

If John McCain wins this election, I think people will look back at the Saddleback forum as the beginning of his turnaround. This forum is basically a draw, and very dry. No change of momentum. McCain rolls on.

7. Cheryl

Speaking of education, what will Senator Obama do to protect the future of students by preventing a school system from losing its accreditation, when the problem is with the school board and not the students?

8. From New York

Laura from Boston

didn't you get it??? First, the "war" between Obama and Clinton was for the primary...of course they fight against each other, it was like a competition...then..did you get the lipstik to a pig?? Obama was refering not to this woman caming from nowhere, but to the repubblican party and just in case Palin was not the pig, but the lipstik....She started this silly story of the lipstik...and American women looooooooooooooved it.....Please....be more flaxible!!!

9. chris

watching this, I'm thinking that they're both pretty good in their own different ways. But McCain is totally isolated amongst the GOP, and a president has to work as leader of a team. Good guy doesn't mean good team, and we all know how atrocious the McCain team is, so definitely Obama 08...

10. spiveyivey

Obama is on tonight!! And especially appealing to the youth! It helps he will be on SNL this Saturday as well! More youth apeal!

11. Mary Jo Raulerson

My son is currently serving with the TN National Guard, now deployed to Louisiana in support of efforts to recover from Gustav. The way it looks now, they will probably be needed following Hurricane Ike, as they served following Hurricane Katrina. He served in Iraq on a fuel convoy in 2003. I want to thank both candidates for their support of our military men and women. My son had never expressed one moment of regret for volunteering to serve in any capacity needed. As Senatory McCain said, the reward of serving a cause greater than themselves is why they do it. Senator Obama's support of military service, and the need to recruit from all segments of society was also most appreciated by those of us whose children are willing to lay down their lives for the right of those who disagree to be free to do so.

12. May

The difference between Obama's style and McCains is Obama treats all of us citizens like we are intelligent and can understand his points.

13. lostinthemadness

By the way, not to slam veterans because as I stated I am a veteran, my husband is a veteran, my only child is actively serving and has just return from a one year deployment in the war, my father and brother served and retired from the military as well as my husband. I have many friends that served. However, not one of them would qualify as president. I am totally confused. McCain is best to serve as president because of his POW experience. One thing I remember on his bio is during his POW experience 5.5 years of captivity he was not aware of anything that was going on in America during his time. Which I believe was a critical time in America and it gave us a different perspective on wars. Just because America deem it necessary to go and fight wars does not make it right. I would be more afraid of McCain being our president because I am not sure he was not emotionally affected by his POW experience. His behavior from my perspective appears to be labile and unpredictable. His JUDGEMENT is so in question. Please someone lets talk in terms of reality and truth. Some folks are serving because the military is the only one who is HIRING!

14. freedomanjel

Yes! A world, not as it is, but as it should be!!

15. MLB

Roland, I'm not so sure. People are intrigued by Obama and love to listen to him speak. I wouldn't be surprised if folks were flipping back and forth between the forum and another program while McCain was on... waiting for Obama to take his turn.

16. tickercandy

A gracious moment for Obama: talking about young people being inspired by McCain’s story, there are no digs - nothing. Usually on the campaign trail he begins with: We honor John McCain for his HALF CENTURY of service.

17. Chris Durham North Carolina

Oh, but we can afford a 10 billion dollar a month war from McCain??!! BK get real!!! Find another excuse cause Conservitives haven't been fiscally responsible since Reagan!!

18. Mike, Syracuse NY

I believe Obama probably believes most of waht he's saying. There's just nothing in his history that says he can achieve 10% of what he says he will. Idealism without ability is just wishfull thinking.

19. Carl

Change starts from the inside out...........He is out of touch..............Simply superficial............

20. ChrisParks, Buffalo NY

Bay,

Obama may have chosen an insider - but Biden is one who is independent of the bs and who knows how to get things done!!

21. Teddy

Wooo, great forum

22. Deborah Walker

I see the America I want to believe in in Senator Obama AND I am working triple time to help achieve that vision of America. I don't see myself in the America that the Republicans describe. In fact , the rhetoric of McCain/Palin and the Republican strategist s scare me badly. Their ways of being evoke "base fear" and I don't want to contribute to that fear. I'd rather fight for hope of another way of being as a country, in the spirit of John F. Kenndy, Martin Luther King, Jr., Robery Kennedy, AND all of those who fought and died on America soil as well as the soils of other countries to have the UNITED STATES of AMERICA operate as an inclusive nation. Obama and Biden stay the course....keep on inspiring us to be better.

23. mark

Do any of the canidates send their kids to public schools. Someone find out.

24. Lee

Barack = Boring

25. Ann

yak, yak, yak. If Obama's not giving a speech, he just stumbles on his words. He changes the subject when he doesn't have an answer and he definitely talks as a community leader...not a President. The President of the United States hires people to do this job, he doesn't have time to do it himself. If Obama were to win the Presidency I envision him hiring someone else to make the though "presidential" decisions while he takes on the task of inspiring young people to serve. Yep, he's just a community organizer.

September 11, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163