September 11th, 2008

Live-blogging with The Best Political Team

Weigh in with CNN's analysts and contributors.
Weigh in with CNN's analysts and contributors.

(CNN) –On the anniversary of the September 11 attacks, presidential candidates John McCain and Barack Obama each take the stage to discuss service and civic engagement in a forum at Columbia University.

What do you think of their ideas? How does the role of service determine what kind of nation we live in? What does national service mean to you?

Along with CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley, CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider, CNN Political Analyst Roland Martin, and Republican strategist Bay Buchanan, thousands of you weighed in.

Click "comments" below for a look at the entire conversation.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
soundoff (4,056 Responses)
  1. wb

This forum is as dumb as the religious one. Has the media lost its mind.
    I turned if off at 9:10. Yes Yes its good to serve. We all know that. Is there no real journalists anymore. Lets get the debates going and please lets not let every knuckle head ask questions.

September 11, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  2. Sanity_2008

==

Roland Martin raises the issue of a "civil tone" to the campaign...

How about just blowing a whistle on diversionary nonsense like this "lipstick on a pig" issue raised by the Republican campaign? I'd settle for a campaign that sticks to real issues, "civil" or not.

Candidates' actual, factual backgrounds, records, histories are germain to any political contest – that is NOT "mudslinging". All the stupid nonsense about flag pins, preachers, lipstick, figures of speech – now THAT's helping to dumb down the process.

In my view, this is a tactic from the Karl Rove playbook that benefits McCain.

September 11, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  3. Melissa

Bay, Perhaps Obama's "lofty" explanations are taking into account that fact that not every American operates with the same intellectual capacity that you do. Sorry if you are bored with his lofty explanations, but I'd prefer that all Americans understand the policy's he's proposing and what he represents. He's not catering to your comprehension. He's talking to the American people – who happen to come from all walks of life and education levels.

I've yet to hear explanations on much from McCain at any point in time... I'd take lofty or brief at this point... a good idea would shock me. The only ones he's had were someone else's first. I feel like half of his rhetoric these days was taken from Obama's playbook. I don't buy it. He needs to tell us what he represents and HOW he plans to get things done.

September 11, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  4. Red State Tex

Bill you are right, Government is the problem not the solution, seems like I heard that somewhere......

September 11, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  5. Phil in Texas

great forum...we need to talk about the issues more!!!!! cut out the silly talk.
    great job candy and roland, love ya!

September 11, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  6. Cam

Candy......HAHAHAHAHAHA......awesome!

September 11, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  7. Barbara

I'm not inspired by McCain – Barack Obama inspires me.

I don't trust McCain – no trust = no inspiration ---

8. Chris

While everyone is searching for a bad thing about both candidates, I unconditionally see two great men. The only problem is getting everyone to come together for the common cause. Energy policies of George Bush have failed and John McCain endorses the same ones in place today. I thought John McCain was so against what is truly wrong with Washington, however he strays so far to the right to flock to all the republican votes, as opposed to his first presdiential run in 2000. What does that truly say about his dedication to listening to the people?

9. Kaity

I just started watching the show at 9pm. Maybe I am lost or just don't get it, but...we have many more issues to be discussed other than giving service in this Presidential election campaign. I am a believer in service and I volunteer in my community. My employer allows us 16 hours a year to perform community service. I just don't understand this special presidential candidate forum on service. We are at war, our economy is pathetic, gas prices are outrageous, we need healthcare...why are we debating service???

10. Steve in Pekin

Bill, I am not sure that McCain is running against Congress and Washington, my belief is that he is trying excite the base by saying he has been for what the Republicans have done for the last 8 years. And as a majority the last 6 it has been NO vetoes and anything the President wanted. I liked the McCain of 2000 and 20004 he actually had some different ideas, now it is the same as everyone else. I think Obama is now trying to fight against all the old ideas not just Bush.

11. Kujo

Roland and Bill, a question for you...

I remember when it was determined we won the cold war. The explanation we got from the Republicans was the Regan forced Russia to weaken their economy by continuing to fight a unwinable war in Afganistan.

Now we are doing the same in 2 countries in the region. US complained that Iran is arming the enemy.

Well Yay, why not. If it worked for the US agains Russia, why not do the same thing. If we are getting stronger in Iraq, move the support to Afganistan.

Aren't we falling into the same hole?

12. AP

"You can't monopolize what it means to be an American."

Great point, sa!! And I do think small-town folks sometimes believe they are more "American" than people who live in the cities. It's the "Heartland" mentality. Geography has nothing to do w/ patriotism!

13. DeeinNC

Obama offered substance rather than empty rhetoric. I am deeply impressed and will vote for Obama. Bay you're 0 for2.

14. yessir

Seriously, this man Obama inspires me to want to do more for this country. He really is a breath of fresh air.

15. Andrew

Nicole if you haven't noticed today's budget deficiet numbers are $483 billion dollars this year. By my math the Iraq war is costing $120billion for the year. All stopping it means is we are in less of deficiet than we were before. THE COUNTRY IS STILL BROKE!

16. Linda Carpenter, Phoenix, Arizona

Barack Obama is such a wonderful leader. His ideas make so much sense and he looks forward to a peace time. McCain and Palin, all they see is more war, more bombing, more death, more kids in the military with little pay and no support. How MCCain can claim to be about service and for vets when he votes against every bill designed to help them. He even voted against the recent GI Bill that increased educational benefits, saying it is too generous. MCCain dropped napalm in Vietnam, destroying generations of people. He has received benefits for 40 years as 100 per cent disabled while voting no and trying to cut beneifts for returning vets and downgrading dianoses of PTSD. How does he get 100 per cent disability while still working full time? He should donate whatever he gets to veterans who are homeless. I am sorry but I do not see him as a hero, not even as someone who tells the truth.
    Barack Obama and Joe Biden are the real deal. They will work to make regular Americans have a better life. They will work for veterans, teachers, and all workers, not millionaires.

17. for McCain!!

Wait, Obama wants to increase the military size, but cut the funding? hahaha. that's smart. Obama can't even answer a question without talking for 5 minutes off track. He's not so good without a teleprompter!!

18. Liz

Well I would say McCain has kept his momentum after this "forum". Perhaps Obama will agree someday to debate McCain.

19. John Illinois

Roland and Candy, what is your opinion of these: I want to see Obama get hammered on education. In Illinois, we have just about the worst, if not the worst, education system in the country. Also, hammer Obama on the total corruption in the Illinois Democratic Machine of which he is a part of. Illinois is almost in economic collapse as well. We have not heard one word from our absentee senator (for approx. 75% of his term) regarding any of this. He also has accomplished nothing as a state legislator or senator of Illinois. Sorry, community organizer definitely does not cut it.

20. David McFadgen

As a Canadian watching CNN and other US media it so obvious that the US media is so incredibly biased against the Republicans. When will the American public wake up and demand truly unbiased and objective reporting from the media. CNN you should be ashamed of your coverage of the US election.

21. Barbara

I'm horrified to think John McCain belives Sarah Palin could server as VP and perhaps President. After watching her on ABC tonight, I know why the campaign has been keeping her quiet.

22. VA voter

so is the media going to pickup on the fairness of having Obama listen in on McCain's part or is that part of the media bias that will get overlooked?

23. Scott

Obama come on tell us something you’re going to do now not about starting early with the next generation.

24. evan french

why did obama remove the american flag from his plane???????

25. alex

MLB you got me I was one of them!!

September 11, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163