September 11th, 2008

Live-blogging with The Best Political Team

Weigh in with CNN's analysts and contributors.
Weigh in with CNN's analysts and contributors.

(CNN) –On the anniversary of the September 11 attacks, presidential candidates John McCain and Barack Obama each take the stage to discuss service and civic engagement in a forum at Columbia University.

What do you think of their ideas? How does the role of service determine what kind of nation we live in? What does national service mean to you?

Along with CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley, CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider, CNN Political Analyst Roland Martin, and Republican strategist Bay Buchanan, thousands of you weighed in.

Click "comments" below for a look at the entire conversation.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
soundoff (4,056 Responses)
  1. Steve K

Good Point Laurie. They go in common men...come out multi millionaires.

2. Michigan1

I am an independent voter and have always been disgusted with the negative campaigning in previous elections. Unfortunately it's still present in the current campaigns, but I really feel that John McCain is providing a direction, optimism, and energy to help return the pride in America. Another important trait of McCain is to walk the talk, popular or not. When is the last time that happened in D.C.? As much as none of us want our troops at war, he was right about the surge, and in the long run this will benefit our troops. McCain's foreign and domestic policies are far ahead of his rivals.

Plain and simple, McCain has the experience, strength, and zeal to lead this nation.

3. Jamie

Good question for Senator Obama:

You benefited from affirmative action in your younger years and look where you are today. But America has changed since your youth. Today, what are your feelings about affirmative action and do you think it has helped foster instances of reverse discrimination?

4. Jackie - Canada

In reply to yessir – Obama inspires me to do more for my country and unfortunately he's not one of my choices in our election.

5. mark

yessir, sign up for the military

6. Leah DiMarco, Texas

Senator Obama will be our next President of the UNITED States of America.

7. Kelly

Great, add "engage in war with Russia" for yet another reason why this amateur is not ready to be a heart beat away from the Oval Office.

Just because you can "see" Russia from your state does not make you an expert on Russian foreign policy or national defense.

Doesn't she have some minion to fire to occupy her time instead of sabre rattling with Russia?

8. Rick

Has anybody looked into the Gun Control Act of 1968 and the Lautenberg Amendment as it would apply to Trooper Wooten? I have read in the Alaska newspapers that while Trooper Wooten was under a protection order his badge and gun were taken from him at the end of his shift and returned to him at the beginning of his next shift. It is my understanding that military and police are not exempt from the Lautenberg Amendment. I believe it clearly states that it is a felony for anyone under a protection order to have guns or ammunition and it is a felony to furnish someone under a protection order with guns or ammunition. He and his supervisors may be guilty of a felony. Is it something that might be worth looking into?

9. DREW79

I have always wanted to do more for my community. I feel Barack Obama knows how i feel.

10. Greg FL.

Great job to the moderators. I love this forum. thanks CNN. Love ya Roland Martin.

11. Mike T

All I have to say is that if McCain wins, this country is in big, big trouble. He has NO clue as the shape the economy is in, let alone any idea how to fix it. We are in big trouble, folks....And as for Palin, I'll just let her dig her own political grave, when she stops hiding behind McBush and begins to speak to the press. Give each of them enough rope and they'll do the work themselves....

12. betty byth

I don't believe a word Obama says, it's double talk. I'm sick of
    hearing the whining everytime someone has an opinion that
    defers from his. Not ready for the big time.

13. Shay

I hope very much that Obama wins i must admit i'm terrified of McCain i believe he will bring great change.. but only to his own exclusive neighborhood i know Obama may have the experience but i dont get it how people say McCains military record shows his ability to lead. to me it shows his ability to get shot down and tortured and the whole staying for 5 extra years..yes very honorable.. but would he destroy america to save its honor too?

14. Ron

Can anyone here tell me McCains plan for the economy, oil prices, mortgage problems and education? I havent heard McCain mention any of these very serious issues.

15. Rodney

MC Cain is still the same Maverick that left his wife in the time of need and voted with Bush over 90% of the time all you have to do is open you eyes and your minds to see Obama is the real deal and educated man who is also a great role model to all men and women that anyone that commits him or herself can be anything even President. MC Lame is and always will be the same clone of Bush.

16. andrea burns

i went to teach english as a foreign language in the czech republic for 4 years. this was my service to america. i did not receive even a thank you from the state department nor any other departments of the american government !!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Robert

I think Obama made a very good point about getting young people involved. When I was in high school the only opportunities a was informed of was military service, fast food, and school activities such as sports or stamp clubs etc. I never knew about any public service that was available such as Peace Corps etc.

18. arlene, CA

I say Wonderful to Barack Obama. We need Barack for President. l00% plus agree with this guy. I could listen to him talk about the future of our country all day/night. Yes, We Can. Obama / Biden

September 11, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  19. Risa

Obama really expressed his point that service starts with the government's influence. He is the president that can inspire youth to participate in the well-being of our nation.

September 11, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  20. Paul

They stay in the senate for the health care plan of course :)

September 11, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  21. Blue Dog Democrat

Why is everone making light of The Baracuda and her inexperience. 21 months 21 months this is crazy. John McCain has been yelling about Country First and clearly he was putting the country second when he picked the Baracuda. Here is a man who has had cancer four times, and is age 72 or 73 and he picks the most inexperience person to be his runnning make. Can you see the Baracuda in a show down with Russia in Nuclear talks. She is just a mess. I had respect for John McCain before he picked her. I always said that I would respect John McCain's campaign before any other Republican. That wa before this insult to the American people.

September 11, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  22. OKC for Obama

Loved the Forum....well only caught Sen Obama's part 'cause I was channel surfing between HGTV and ESPN.

Candy & Roland....You Guys ROCK!!! You too Bill

September 11, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  23. Sherry, Atlanta

NO M L B, I watched McCain and laughed, 90% of his speech-sound as though "he was on another Planet", totally "Out Of Touch" !

And Palin, talking about going to War!

Where does McCain and Palin come from?

September 11, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  24. Marc

I thought both candidates were extremely civil and had interesting thoughts. McCain, however, definitely seemed to focus on service as something to do with national security, matters of war, defense, etc. Notice how his questions and answers led in the direction of Russia and Georgia, and he talked quite a bit about military service. Obama had a nuance about teachers here in the U.S. and civil servants, etc. although he definitely also discussed civil servants working in foreign countries.

September 11, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  25. Nate

The problem that I have with the whole campain this year is that people are loosing their houses to forclosure, loosing their jobs, no healthcare, economy is in the dumps, yet the candidates spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a campain. A recent article said that the demcrats want to raise 100 million dollars a month for three months. How many people could be bailed out of forclosure if all these rich donors would donated to those who were loosing their homes and loosing the jobs and not people who are already making hundres of thousands of dollars a year. If the candidats want to push for CHANGE, hold a dinner to raise money for the American people, not to spend 100 million a month on a political campaign.

September 11, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163