September 11th, 2008

Live-blogging with The Best Political Team

Weigh in with CNN's analysts and contributors.
Weigh in with CNN's analysts and contributors.

(CNN) –On the anniversary of the September 11 attacks, presidential candidates John McCain and Barack Obama each take the stage to discuss service and civic engagement in a forum at Columbia University.

What do you think of their ideas? How does the role of service determine what kind of nation we live in? What does national service mean to you?

Along with CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley, CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider, CNN Political Analyst Roland Martin, and Republican strategist Bay Buchanan, thousands of you weighed in.

Click "comments" below for a look at the entire conversation.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
soundoff (4,056 Responses)
  1. charles in cincinnati

question: why do you have a "republican strategist" on the boards here but not a democrat...or independent? bay obviously can't overcome her bias and be objective, so why not even up the teams?

2. Paris

Obama seem to be very proud of this nation today.

You would think with all this great things about America Michelle Obama would be proud!!!!

3. Shannon - Independent Voter

I think palin is a warmonger also, either that or she is simply following the repub script of "scare the voters with war talk so we can win". These people are truly, truly pathetic. They are desperately trying to hold on to the power.

The only thing that is really, really scaring me is the thought of them in the white house for another term. As a matter of fact I am downright frightened.

4. Sarahkatheryn

Vik, I don't think BO pandered – his whole campaign is about service and inspiring americans to serve hence his line "we are the ones we've been waiting for"

5. Douglas

Bring back the Draft,when Mccain Served there was a draft and he loves to focus on his time served ,so he should'nt have a problem bringing back the draft.

6. David

I am a young husband, father of two children and very much a family man. I have a very difficult time understanding why a mother of a special need child who is helplessly 4 months old for God's sake will choose to make her priority money, power, and prestege well over her precious son who needs her more now than he will ever need her in his life. Has Mrs. Palin ever given an explanation as to why she would make such a selfish choice? Mrs. Palin should really have process this bate carefully and not allow herself to be used by Senator Mc Cain like Mr. Powell was used by Mr. Bush.

7. Yawdie

Just a question: Why is it that the republican strategists are surprised when Sen. McCain stays awake?

"McCain looks strong and energetic" – Republican strategist, Bay Buchanan.

8. Chris

john September 11th, 2008 9:48 pm ET
    "Obama never answers any questions. Mccain is better."

Seriously!?!?!?!? I heard some greant ideas about national service from both candidates today, but the best idea I heard all day was Obama's idea to give college scholarships for those who earn it through volunteering.

9. Art

I have never seen a VP nomined who is unknown and yet so quick to accept the nomination only to be sheltered from the media. With the poor selection he had to choose from it's no wonder he turned to someone nobody knew but with the information that is turning up, I think it's going to hurt his chances!

10. Melanie

To watch John McCain and then to watch Barack Obama should make it so easy for the American people to see who really has what it takes to bring this country together and fix what is wrong. It was so great to watch Sen. Obama, he gets it, he has it, he is going to be our next President! Just look at what Bill Clinton said today.
    Thanks for hearing me,
    Melanie

11. Tracy

I think it is important to note that the only reason the presidential race is so close is simply because Barack Obama is black. I am amazed that many (not all) white people would rather vote for 4 to 8 more years of Bush policies (war–McCain's career was built on it and Sarah Palin supports it), very little diplomacy, trillions in debt, high unemplyment, astronimcal gas prices, etc. Racism truly is a disease. It is sick.

12. Leah DiMarco, Texas

Perhaps Paul thinks it was a snoozefest because he is like so many other Americans that want to see politicians fighting with each other all the time? It was nice to see civility on the TV this evening and no mud-slinging.

13. Bob

I have been a lifelong democrat (age 42). This year I considered (strongly) voting for McCain because I believe that he truly isn't a right wing nut job. However, by pandering to the right wing fringe with his selection of Pallin, I have no choice but to vote for Obama. The selection of Pallin is offensive. It shows that McCain is no different than others in that he cares more about getting elected than the country. Given his age and the tremendous ageing effects of the presidency the Pallin selection is irresponsible. Shame on you John McCain!

Today Pallin felt war with Russia could be considered. Are you kidding? She went to school (college) where/ and to how many. Give me a break. This country needs to grow up and elect leaders with intellect.

14. rlkidd

Sorry , I can't vote for Sen Obama, I like the way he comes across, but,
    I believe that a lot of his early experiences will guide his future policies.

I do not believe that he is a muslim, but his formative years exposed to this religion will continue to guide his actions.

I am just not willing to take the chance with him.

15. Anonymous

This was the most one sided forum I have ever seen. You just gave Obama the right to discuss all his mistakes. Why was he able to listen to the answers from McCain. He stated several times that he listened to McCain. I hope the two of you will have no input in the debates coming up.

16. Kate, NV

BK- we can afford all these programs because Obama wants to turn financial responsibility back to Ira

17. Frank

It's funny how much everyone on here is whining and crying like a bunch of babies over Sarah Palin. She has little experience, granted, but she's running as V.P., not like the unqualified Obama that's running for President. Both are unqualified, but thank goodness one will have 8 years to mentor as V.P. instead of trying to jump right into the role.

The saddest part of all this is to listen to Roland Martin defend him because he's black. How else can you justify putting someone in the White House with so little qualifications. Fanboys for Obama, get a clue.

18. Sherry, Atlanta

PALIN'S INTERVIEW, AS WELL AS MCCAIN'S INTERVIEW. . . .ENOUGH!

NEITHER KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON IN AMERICA-OR THE WORLD!!!

September 11, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  19. Jim K

.........and if McCain "knows that he'll get Bin Laden," then WHY is he keeping it a secret until he's elected?

September 11, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  20. Deborah Walker

I see the America I want to believe in in Senator Obama 's vision AND I am working triple time to help achieve that vision of America. I don't see myself in the America that the Republicans describe. In fact, the rhetoric of McCain/Palin and the Republican strategists scare me badly. Their ways of being evoke "base fear" and I don't want to contribute to that fear. I'd rather fight for "hope" of another way of being as a country, in the spirit of John F. Kennedy, Martin Luther King, Jr., Robert Kennedy AND all of those who fought and died on America's soil as well as the soils of other countries to have the UNITED STATES of AMERICA operate as "one" and as an inclusive nation. Obama and Biden, "stay the course"........keep on insipiring us to be better, to be the best we can be as a nation!!!

September 11, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  21. "average" american

Roland Martin – define "average American." I just heard you on t.v., in reference to remarks made by Sarah Palin re: NATO – you said the average American is now asking "what is NATO?" Just how stupid do you think we are? I am an average American and I of course know what NATO is and what the premise is behind this alliance. You are such a SNOB and have no idea what the average American is about. Do you think the Average American is illiterate and dumb?

September 11, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  22. Jim

What is the Obama record of change in his home state and especially in Chicago?

September 11, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  23. Sarah B

Obama is a breath of fresh air compared to what we have endured the last almost 8 years and compared with the old white haired dude.
    This country cannot stand another 4 years under McSame!

September 11, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  24. Paris

This will not change anyone's mind.

September 11, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  25. Tanya

I'm with you Snoozi. I took great offense to Palin's comments about Comm Org's.......I don't take it lightly.

September 11, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163