September 11th, 2008

Live-blogging with The Best Political Team

Weigh in with CNN's analysts and contributors.
Weigh in with CNN's analysts and contributors.

(CNN) –On the anniversary of the September 11 attacks, presidential candidates John McCain and Barack Obama each take the stage to discuss service and civic engagement in a forum at Columbia University.

What do you think of their ideas? How does the role of service determine what kind of nation we live in? What does national service mean to you?

Along with CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley, CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider, CNN Political Analyst Roland Martin, and Republican strategist Bay Buchanan, thousands of you weighed in.

Click "comments" below for a look at the entire conversation.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
soundoff (4,056 Responses)
  1. MLB

Okay, I'm outta here. There are clearly people here who watched this forum with a very closed mind, and are only blogging here to be jerks and show everyone just how closed minded they are. No wonder the campaigns are so nasty... Not only do we allow it, we're the same way. I don't wish to participate in that.

September 11, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  2. what_happened_to_experience

Why is it that mccain was talking all about experience this and experience that for months, then after he saw Hillary's great speech and Obama's pick, he all of a sudden does a 180 and goes with Palin, someone with almost none? And then she has the nerve to also criticize Obama's lack of experience (when she's pretty much in the same boat). Doesn't that seem hypocritical?

September 11, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  3. Cheryl

I thought Obama did awesome tonight- he is right that young people needs to be continuously inspired to serve their country- I live in a small town in Northern Ontario Canada and my 9 year son has been inspired by the US election campaign- thanks to Obama's extraordinary ability to move people- and to get their attention

4. Dwayne Baty

If the question was asked about preemptive strike then that is different that "Bush Doctrine"

5. P

Palin is crazy, so she never thought of her family husband, daughters or sons, did not come to mind, being in the postions of possibility of being killed when it came to her decision on where or not to be the VP, now I know she is a total nut case at least spend a day or two on it!

6. TLeigh

I totally agree with Frank. The government and the American people should be working in a partnership. This is not the government vs the American people. I have several family members in Irag and Afghanistan and I would like to have them home. Their mission is important but it is also important to recognize that we have a mission here at home too.

I hope that our next president is able to start creating peace....in a humanitarian way. Meaning.... keep the politics out of it and do what is right.

7. Lynn

Palin looked horrible, and was clearly unable to do more than guess, regarding extremely important issues. She OBVIOUSLY did not know what the Bush Doctrine was, and I expect someone running for VP to know this basic doctrine. Palin was a deer in the headlights, then resorted to her typical lip-smacking, and even winked at Charlie during her evasive response, as a manipulative way to throw him off. How utterly and completely tacky.

8. Larry

WOW! Let's just break down what Palin said:

1) Russia launched an unprovoked attack on Georgia.
    – this is a BLATANT LIE, it is public knowledge that the Georgians attacked South Ossetia and began bombing Tsinkhali in an preemptive unprovoked strike, having in fact bombed the main hospital in the city.

2) War with Russia is an option on the table.
    – is Palin diluted or just ignorant beyong comprehension? Have we not forgotten Sarah, that Russia is armed with roughly 5000 nuclear warheads?

It pains me to no end to hear all of this Russia bashing, when in fact Russia is not in anyway an aggressor. In fact, Russia had a duty ensure the peace in the region of South Ossetia, and was following the directive of a UN resolution to restore the peace and ensure the safety of Ossetians (most of whom have Russian citizenship). Also take into account the US's new missile defense system which essentially boxes in the Russians in the west, you begin to understand why the Russians could get upset.
    Palin's comments regarding Russia are entirely unfounded and with regards to her proposition on war, is she attempting usher in a dreaded nuclear showdown with the Russians???

9. Dan

Why didn't CNN identify the ethnic, gender, etc breakdown of the Republican delegates (like was down during the Democratic delegates)? I think there would have been a BIG difference!!!

10. Sally from Cali

Please, more candidates talking about issues!!

This was great. Thank you CNN. Thank You Columbia U. Thank you Candy, Roland, Bill, Bay. Thank you Sen. McCain and Sen. Obama!

We must do this again...before Nov 4.

11. WG

McCain has a deeper problems with his VP choice than I thought. SHE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT THE BUSH DOCTRINE IS!!!!!!!!!I -----

12. Ambrosio's dad in Canada

During her interview, Sarah Palin sounded like she was being interviewed for a job at a fast food restaurant.
    Unsure, uncertain and uncomfortable is what I got from watching her.
    She tried to mould her rehearsed rhetorics to flow in her answers.... and it simply didn't work for me.

13. Estelle

This was the most one sided forum I have ever seen. You both were on the side of Obama. Why was he able to listen to McCain's answers. He was prepared – I certainly hope the two of you will not be available to do the debates. John McCain is an honorable, decent person and deserves to be the President. He has much more experience than Obama.

14. Sylvia

CNN, where the is the politcal ticker on what Sarah Palin said on the ABC interview when Gibson asked her about her national security credentials? She answered that her credentials have to do with energy. Why isn't Candy, David G and Gloria B asking, people don't really know Palin? They have been asking this about Obama since the Senator entered the race, why aren't they asking this of Palin?

15. David

Did I miss something ? I don't think Mrs. Palin answered Charlie's question on The Bush Doctrine... What is the Bush doctrine anyways? Looks she was totally caught off guard.

16. Drow

I WANT MORE CANDY :)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. truth-Chicago

Bay, you are obviously in the tank with McCain. Bay answer this for me if military service is the ultimate act of service according to McCain, why did he not approve the GI Bill?This is the same bill that he has received $200,000 in pension. As rich as he is, why would he donate this money to help military people. It is ashame when a soldier after serving in military comes home and can't get the help he needs. It so bad that he commits suicide. God!!! Action speak louder than words.

Bay let's get real and stop being in the tank for your party. Be in the tank for people;the people that can't make ends meat t yet they volunteer their church and in their community.

One thing I can must say that McCain is right about this that ordinary citizens volunteer. That translate to that why don't Cindy spend more time. She could volunteer everyday and still won't have to worry about paying for the seven houses they own.

18. Breck from VA

I think McCain needs to tell is what he is going to change. I think he needs to lay out detailed plans rather than rhetoric and empty words of change when his record shows the opposite. I think he needs to explain why trickle down economics have never worked before but will start working if he is President.

19. warren pielak

To Candy:

Candy,

I am 42 years old, and have been watching CNN since it's
    inception. I am from Canada, and luv American Politics. I
    am a news junky, and watch American news and other
    American news channels all the time.

You, yes you, Candy, are the best reporter I have ever seen
    and listened to. Bar none. You get at the heart of the matter,
    and you are brilliant, to say the least. Keep up the good work,
    and never forget that you are the best. I know you are a modest
    person, and will take my comments with a grain of salt. But I
    am quite serious. There is no one better, that I have seen/
    listened too, in Canada, or in America. You rock girl! :)

All the best!

Warren :)

20. EvangelicalForObama

I appreciated the forum of this discussion tonight. I think there will be a time for a debate later on, but I think it's good to just give the candidates a forum to share their views and answer questions like this. Thanks, CNN.

September 11, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  21. bill m

"Palin: Sanctions on Russia may be needed "

says it all

September 11, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  22. DEMOCRATS FOR PALIN

I would of preferred to see both Senators McCain and Obama answering questions together at this event.

September 11, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  23. Snoozi

Paul
    As a matter of fact I lost any ounce of respect that I might have had for Guilliani or Palen with those remarks

September 11, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  24. Carol

Absolutely no comparison between Senator Obama and Senator McCain. Senator Obama is articulate and answers every question
    with clear explanation of what he wants to do.
    On the other hand Senator McCain is very dull, not really giving any clear idea of what he wants to do.....of course appealing as he always feels he must to "faith based" groups.
    Senator Obama is absolutely the right man to run this country, he has all the qualifications, the poise and the intelligence.
    This country needs to elect this highly motivated Senator, who inspires that same motivation around the country, then and only then can this country feel proud again.

September 11, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  25. Adrienne

Barbara, sometimes we can't hear past our own bias.

September 11, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163