September 11th, 2008

Live-blogging with The Best Political Team

Weigh in with CNN's analysts and contributors.
Weigh in with CNN's analysts and contributors.

(CNN) –On the anniversary of the September 11 attacks, presidential candidates John McCain and Barack Obama each take the stage to discuss service and civic engagement in a forum at Columbia University.

What do you think of their ideas? How does the role of service determine what kind of nation we live in? What does national service mean to you?

Along with CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley, CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider, CNN Political Analyst Roland Martin, and Republican strategist Bay Buchanan, thousands of you weighed in.

Click "comments" below for a look at the entire conversation.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
soundoff (4,056 Responses)
  1. Sophia

So Sarah Palin knew about how NATO works – rather, she knew (kind of) about the most obvious principle of the Aliance. I must say, in Europe, for example, school kids under age 12 know this. It is so amazing to see people think "wow, Sarah Palin interviews so well, she really is not so bad, she is bright, she is GOOD!", all this only because she knows 1+1 = 2. I guess the expectations were so low that when the woman demonstrated an ability to utter coherent sounds everyone fell on their back. And even more amazing – because she knows 1+1=2, Sarah Palin is confident she can be the vice-prezident of the United States, and could step into a presidential role – without blinking. She embodies the danger of ignorance. That she can be taken seriously is an American phenomenon. Being Legally Blond is OK in a comedy, not in real politics in troubled times.

September 11, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  2. Grace Needed

Well done CNN! I appreciate this opportunity to hear our candidates views without all the tensions of a debate. They both did well.

3. jim

I found it interesting that McCain said there should be more incentive for the Military to help with retention, and his idea was to pay pilots more. Those that already have a college degree. He failed to mention he wouldn't even show up to vote for the new GI Bill. A bill that was co-sponsored by over 60 senators. By the way, he would have voted no.

4. Darryll Petrancuri

(Follow-Up) Since a VP by implication has to be ready to step in should the President not be able to execute the duties of the office, would you agree that Joe Biden is better prepared to do so than Palin, and that Biden will remain true to the party platform and ideology where Palin would attempt to move her administration much further to the right?

5. Kimberly from North Chicago,IL

I thought Obama did an excellent job and thathe kept every focused on the task at hand..Good Job

6. Lee-Lee in Oklahoma

From what I read Biden was answering a question from the floor if he thought Hillary would make a great VP.

Also from what i've seen on tv(news) McCain used the term lip stick on a pig before Obama.

7. jackiefu

Goodness.
    All of these comments are really indicative of "polar positions" that will not be changed by any factual postings/arguements by eithr side.
    That being said, isn't the "play " for the few supposed "independents"
    a pretty big deal?
    I would think that logic and reason based on "positions" would prevail over sexist and racist comments by either side.
    Come on MF's, tone it down.

8. Monica

Hi I just text message to everyone in my blackberry (200ppl) in remembrance 9-11& our service to our beloved country…you're more than welcome to help spread the word

"Check it out…Obama wants to make Govt COOL again!" Alright!!! Spread the Word! Let's get involved cause Yes Together We Can!

9. Loyal American123

Are Americans more in fear of the external threat to their security or to the interla threat from loss of savings, unemployment, corporate cheaters and pressure gruups that allow hedge fund manager to pay less in taxers than a blue collar worker?

10. MikeC

Holy cow.. Watching Anderson 360 and the big story (besides the hurricane) is Palin Palin Palin.. Why aren't they taking about the McCain/Obama forum.

11. truth-Chicago

Bay I really want to connect with you because, I think you are out of touch with reality. The reality is that your party has ran the White House for 8 years and look at the state we are in.

I just graduated with a Master's Degree in IT. Why can't I get a job? I volunteer in my community and with my church. But because of the decisions that Bush has made the economy is terrible. I could not afford to go to college so I took out loans. In three more months the government will be calling my phone. On top of that I served in the military and they never kept their promises. This is a reality.

But I guess I should have been a republican strategist they seem to be working pretty hard to convince the American people that everything is okay.

12. CMH

There is no country that gives more "community" service – internally and externally – than America. Maybe Michelle could find a way to be proud of that? I've been to numerous third world countries where American missionaries and aid workers have been volunteering for decades. Additionally I've worked in numerous soup kitchens and homeless shelters where ministries and volunteers give their time and money to help the needy. Most of their deeds are done below the radar and unrecognized by the "socialistic" media that only recognizes government run programs. The last thing we need is for Obama to mandate community service through the federal government. If more prisoners were made to break rocks we'd have fewer criminals and therefore more fathers raising their children and therefore more productive people and therefore less need for community service. Government needs to punish wrongdoing and get out of the way to those that want to do good.

13. Terence

Please can someone answer this one question; how can someone run for one of the highest offices in the land and be investigated at the same time? If it was the average joe, we would have no chance at all of getting hired at any job.

14. Clinton

I think Obama did a great job and presenting his answers to the American public...He sounded more convincing than McCain. After viewing Gov. Palin interview, finally, I am not convinced by her. As running for VP she should at least know what the Bush Doctrine is. I am changing my vote for Obama.

September 11, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  15. Lester1282

If allowed to drill for more oil in Alaska and off shore, do you think the oil companies will market the oil oversees or keep it hear at home?

Would they exploit our natural and strategic resources, at the expense of the already overburden tax paying citizen ??

Would the candidates guarantee the resources would be used to benefit all Americans, and not just give in to the greed of the oil barons?

September 11, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  16. Sam

You guys better watch out she may come on to you all. If/when ever she becomes VP...lol...

September 11, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  17. tony gunslinger

Hey, you rednecks out there:

Service means sacrifice, remember? To serve your country meant giving up some freedoms to make our nation secure. Now, to make government change, to make the people of this country proud of being Americans, you need to sacrifice your IGNORANCE and PREJUDICE to see clearly that educated people are not elitists who look down on you. They are the ones who designed your roads and cities, they are the ones who wrote the Constitution, they are the ones who organizes military strikes, build your computer games, make your guns work, solve logistical problems on food, economy, who builds the foundation so you can run around being the arrogant xenophobes that you are.

So take a moment to squash your ego this November and vote based on facts, not Family Values, or Moral Values or NRA or Abortion or Church or Skin Color or Sex or Lipstick or POW. That would a service to your beloved country.

September 11, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  18. Yolanda

I was very inspired by Obama's call for action amongst citizens. We are in this together. I'm very turned off by the Republicans sitting on their high hypocritical horses and looking down on people who want more for their communities. As a woman, I can appreciate the advancements we've made in this country. Palin is representative of that. I am leary of her being a heartbeat away from running this country. She is a fiery, unprepared, mouthy, shady Governor. I would constantly be living in fear if she were Vice President. I pray that the American people can see past her in your face substanceless rhetoric.

September 11, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  19. Adam

democrat: why would u jump ship as soon as ur candidate didn't"win" if Obama wins Clinton wins. we are all one party.

September 11, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  20. Squazzo

Senator McCain has disappointed me....I voted for him in the 2000 and 2008 primaries, because I thought he was the best Republican candidate and really stood on his own as an Independent thinker....his ACTIONS over the course of the past 6 or so months have shown me that he is compromising his beliefs to get the support of the very people who sand bagged him in the 2000 primary (Karl Rove) just to win an election, especially with the choice of Ms. Palin, who is extreme in her beliefs and another polarizing figure that this Country does not need right now....we need someone who is truly in the middle with the best interests of all Americans at heart-Joe Biden and Barack Obama will be receiving this Republicans vote

September 11, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  21. sameer

why dont media scrutinize obama's state voting record .where he had hundreds of vote as "present" as they are obsessed by sarah palen's record . it just shows that he just dont want do the right thing for the people but do the safe thing for his political career.

September 11, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  22. Walt

Here are the hard questions these men must answer:

1. How are you going to save Social Security?
    2. How are you going to get the economy on the right track?
    3. How are you going to handle the energy crisis?
    4. How are you going to make the United States self-sufficient again?
    5. How are you going to make Congress stop spending more than it
    takes in?
    6. How will you win the war in Iraq and Afghanistan?
    7. How are you going to turn around the deficit?

These people (both parties) have yet to have any definitive answers. All they do is dance around the issues without giving us answers.

I'm all for change, but change to what? A person that talks a good game, but when it comes right down to it can't deliver on the promises?

The media isn't demanding that the candidates give the American people any kind of rational plan instead of empty promises.

But come November, we, the American people will vote a team into office, whoever wins, it's going to be one heck of a circle jerk.

September 11, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  23. R. Cooper

Beware America, It now War on Russia under the McCain-Palin ticket!!! OH MY GOD!!!!!!

September 11, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  24. MaryAnn

McCain is Bush. Don't forget that.

September 11, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  25. Darnell Johnson

I just want to know why there was no mention of Palin stating that "energy" is the foundation of national security. How has she made the country energy independent?

September 11, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163