September 11th, 2008

Live-blogging with The Best Political Team

Weigh in with CNN's analysts and contributors.
Weigh in with CNN's analysts and contributors.

(CNN) –On the anniversary of the September 11 attacks, presidential candidates John McCain and Barack Obama each take the stage to discuss service and civic engagement in a forum at Columbia University.

What do you think of their ideas? How does the role of service determine what kind of nation we live in? What does national service mean to you?

Along with CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley, CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider, CNN Political Analyst Roland Martin, and Republican strategist Bay Buchanan, thousands of you weighed in.

Click "comments" below for a look at the entire conversation.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
soundoff (4,056 Responses)
  1. Jeff

McCain clearly dominated tonight. Obama is clearly in over his head. No real plan. No leadership. No expereince.

September 11, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  2. someguy

I liked it. Everything was very civil and to the point. It showed the good in both candidates rather than exploit the negatives. Obama and Mccain's position reflects the democratic and republican different views on what role government should play, which they both were asked. I support Obama's stance which is that government playing a role in it all doesn't ruin the opportunities for volunteer work. Which has been demonstrated before with fema and the red cross.

September 11, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  3. Peace

I'm voting for Obama an educated man and a great role model. Not for an old maverick that got caught and was probably brainwashed America deserves a winner . Not two republicans losers

September 11, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  4. P

By the way we change each and everyday, anyone that fears change is afraid to live as a free person, with GOD given rights, were the founding fathers afraid of change to start a new nation,were the slaves afaid to be free, is a even a baby afraid to come out of the womb, but the Repbulican wanst everyone to be afaird so that the people will get thier information from them. Without change we can not live without change the world does not go on everything would stop at one point of time.

CHANGE happens to us each and everyday of our live, all those who time at this momnet in time are facing and over comming chnage everyday!

September 11, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  5. libwoman

I think that the whole idea of a "conservative woman" is an oxymoron.
    By the way......SHE is not running for president. Let's keep our focus on the candidates. I wish her son well in Iraq. After all....it is her religeous war that her poor son is fighting..........sad.........sad how uneducated so many americans are. THINK people!!!! THINK!!

September 11, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  6. kai

Katiec, The reason all media want the republicans in office is because they want DEREGULATION. Then super wealthy Like Murdock etc can have all the radio, tv and internet business in a given area. Then they really can control what we see etc on TV. Think about it!!!
    KAI

September 11, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  7. Victoria

Enough of the forums. I want the debates!

September 11, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  8. Douglas

Why did'nt they show all of the members from Palin's son unit,it's not right to pick out an individual only because of who his or her parents are when other services men and women are doing this everyday.

September 11, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  9. Bridget McCurry

William Dalton, maybe community service is not accountable, but college is, and Obama couln't have chosen a tougher path, or exceeded more. His degrees aren't in journalism.

September 11, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  10. yvonne

I think Obama did great in articulating a vision for this country. On a different note.
    Why is Palin talking to foreign governments.
    What goverments have Alaska been dealing with.
    Its dangerous having all these different people talking to foreign goverments.
    I can understand Biden but a canidate who has no foreighn experence and why is not the press all over this.???????????/

September 11, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  11. Loyal American123

Although we "know" no one ever cheats on their Social Security taxes, would you be amnemible to enacting really severe penaltiesfor a new commer to Social Security Cheating? And maybe civil penalities for guys like Justice Stephen Breyer? He is a confess Social Security Tax Cheat!

September 11, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  12. Jim

Well, Palin readily admits to being a pit bull. We all know that's a dog you cannot trust.

September 11, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  13. Leesa

Hmmm...yeah, the Dems have been in control of Congress for the past two years. All the Democrat congressmen elected used the same campaign slogan as Obama...change...need to change what Bush has done to the nation. And what have they accomplished?? Absolutely NOTHING..oh wait...they spent the past two years blaming Bush for everything when they should have spent the past two years working for the american people. Obama/Biden and Nancy Pelosi are jokes. Yeah...I want four more years of them...NOT!

Not worried about job losses under McCain. ...my husband is a coal miner...at least MCCain has a real energy plan...more worried about his job if Obama is prez.

McCain/Palin '08...REAL change!

September 11, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  14. Republicanturnedindependent

I think that if Barrack Obama continues with this Mr. Nice guy tactic, he will be left behind in the gutter. I am an independent leaning towards Obama but I am absolutely disgusted by the response (or lack thereof) of the Democratic party to this ongoing, sustained and unprecedented attack on them– especially as these attacks distract from the issues.

I feel no sympathy for Obama because he should have known the Rove type of politics by now and prepared for it.

Now the Republicans have scared the media including CNN. Booo.. Mr. Cooper!
    Anyone who opposes them is hung on the cross and given a crown of thorns. Any criticism of Palin is deemed sexist, how outrageous. She is a big girl playing with the big boys, if Hillary could not hide behind the "I am a girl claim" well, neither should she.

I am a mother, NRA member, hunter, soccer mum... etc etc... but will NOT be voting for a continuation of the same old administration. Ps: Who was polled regarding the swinging of all women to McCain because his VP nominee has breasts like us?? How ridiculous.

If Obama loses this election, history will never deal kindly with him. He has no excuse because in the present circumstance... change of any sort... coming from a FRESH perspective will suffice.

September 11, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  15. Mayra Garcia

Did you watch the same Sarah Palin interview? Roland, maybe some people don't know about NATO but this is a person who could be President. She was obviously prepped for this and kept repeating 'talking points' such as "we can't second guess Isr'ael" and "I didn't blink". So she's confident, so what. She doesn't have the knowledge or experience. John King is saying that she did well. She's not applying for a job as journalist, toast master or Ms. Congeniality.
    I was waiting for her to say "World Peace". Candy Crowley is also making excuses for her. Palin could be our Commander in Chief and you are not doing your jobs if you do not raise the bar. Would you accept these answers from a man or from Hillary Clinton? Heaven help us you're sure not. Let the republicans defend her, that's not your job.

September 11, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  16. Big Vic from Reagan Country -Part II

I heard sone outrage about the infamous lipstick remark. Frankly, I am not sure about the concern. A right wing attempt to look liberal and yes it does look ugly.

I have to hear McCain express outrage over the remarks leveled at Obama. One college Republican said Obama's lips could float him to Cuba. Obama has been referred to as "uppity".

Where are the Republicans on these clear racist slants? Right, they are silent.

As for McCain talking about service, I guess in his mind it has to be the right service, like miltiary service in Iraq.

September 11, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  17. Cheri

Gov. Palin showed all the intellect of a high school senior fresh from a civics lesson in her interview with Charlie Gibson tonight. It was tough to watch. I cringed as she often repeated her scripted responses in lieu of appropriately thoughtful, intelligent, genuine answers. It is totally clear to me now why her Republican handlers have kept her away from the press – they already knew what we just found out tonight. Even a soft-shoe interviewer made her look sophomoric and weak. As badly as I wanted her to do well for all the women out there who aspire to political heights, it seems her style isn't unlike George W. Bush, presenting a sort of robotic, regurgitative repetitiveness under direct questioning, reflective of an average IQ at best. I am now convinced Sen. McCain's lacks the judgment necessary to be President for believing she could do the job at this stage in her political life. The Republican ticket has lost my vote.

September 11, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  18. Republican for Obama

Enough said what was i thinking

September 11, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  19. VLB

Hillary supporters are going to vote for McCain just because Palin is a woman. If McCain wins, Republicans will write themselves another big raise, Democrats will struggle to pay bills and serve food on their tables. But most importantly, the Hillary supporters will feel vindicated. The Republicans played the divide and conquer game and may win. Then, they will sit around a table laughing at how stupid woman are to base life determining decisions on ones gender. Decisions made on emotions, feelings, and stupidity are all the reasons why I would never vote for a woman.

September 11, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  20. mark

Nobody is denying Sen. McCain's legendary service. But Sen. Obama's service is one that people can relate to. It's one of everyday struggle and one of helping those around you who are also struggling find the light at the end of the tunnel. His plan for America is nothing less than A+. He knows what everyday people have been through, what they go through and what they will face. Because of this he knows how to bring better days. He has my vote.

September 11, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  21. Mrs. Texas Teacher

I thought Obama sounded very presidential talking about what he has been talking about ever since this campaign began for him over 18 months ago.

McCain has opted all these issues from the Obama camp! Sheeesh... it is so obvious he does not have an original idea in his head! That is because he is only running for office... I think he made that pretty clear tonight! He is just doing whatever he has to do. If that means lying and attacking falsely... it's just part of the game. He made it clear that this is all a game! I don't think Obama is playing games. I think just like he started out as a community servant, he wants to make a difference in the lives of the common people, NOT Ultra Rich!

September 11, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  22. mms

why is mccain trumpeting his military service over and over again as the main qualification to be president. Fred thompson, in his speech, made a statement saying that being a POW doesnt necessarily qualify you to be president. after over 25 yrs in govt is it time for change!!

September 11, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  23. Dwayne Baty

In eight years of listening to Bush and political talk about President Bush.. I have never heard of Bush Doctrine! What is exactly Bush Doctrine? Is this pre-emptive strike? no embryonic stem cell research? economic policies? Doctrine composes of many items of belief and action plans...not just military action plans...so to ask a question WITHOUT clarification is a loaded question...and should not have been asked in that way..

September 11, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  24. Mary

I am tired of the McCain campaign and all the nasty lies. I thought he was going to run an honest campaign. He hasn't and I have lost all respect for him. McCain has lost his integrity by aligning himself with the likes of Carl Rove. What is even sadder is the fact that so many people don't bother to research and believe those lies.I also question his judgment with his VP pick....yes it is making for an interesting campaign....but he should have picked someone who would be able to step into the Presidency. If he wins, God help our country if Sarah Palin is President!!!!
    It is interesting that this year the republicans can never answer a question that is asked by the press....they always turn it into criticizing the other candidates. If I was Campbell Brown , I would have loved to scream :"Just answer the question!!!!!" I find it very sad that so many Americans can actually believe these half truths and taking words out of context. I heard the whole "lipstick" talk and it was about McCain .

McCain had several very qualified , intelligent Republican women to choose from. I would have respected him if he had chosen a qualified woman.

I came from a small town of 7000 people....there is no way that being mayor of a small town qualifies one to be a President or Vice President of the United States. Organizing groups in Chicago, teaching constitional law, working in Ill. government, and in the national goverment most certainly provides more experience and exposes one to more of the world. I can guarantee you that no large company would hire someone to lead their company with Palin's experience. I have worked with "pit bull" women and know that they do not make good leaders at any level. Knowledge, intelligence, cooperation and team work make for successful leaders. I have traveled throughout this country and live in a very small town now. I do not think that questioning Palin's lack of national and international experience is making fun of small towns. It is just a fact!! I have been a department head, president of many organizations and that does not make me qualified to be President or Vice President. The two Presidential candidates and the Democratic VP candidate have had national and constitutional experience.( Obama studied international studies and he has experience with constitutional law in addition to his job experience).The Republican VP candidate obviously does not have that experience. If she is ready to take over as President , she should have been ready and knowledgable enough to talk to the press and answer questions now. A crash republican course in national and international affairs just doesn't make her ready.
    I just listened to her interview....she is NOT qualified!!!!! She talks at a third grade level.....heaven help us!!! Maybe she should have blinked...what arrogance. Do you thnk she knew what NATO was before this week???? Do you think she actually knows where Iraq is now????Maybe she would qualify for some position as a support person in a McCain presidency, but not at the top!!!!

September 11, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  25. Macy

Palin's choice has served its purpose. Derailed the voters from asking the tough questions ..... of themselves first. Who do we want to be in charge? Someone with a plan or a hip-shooter??

September 11, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163