September 11th, 2008

Live-blogging with The Best Political Team

Weigh in with CNN's analysts and contributors.
Weigh in with CNN's analysts and contributors.

(CNN) –On the anniversary of the September 11 attacks, presidential candidates John McCain and Barack Obama each take the stage to discuss service and civic engagement in a forum at Columbia University.

What do you think of their ideas? How does the role of service determine what kind of nation we live in? What does national service mean to you?

Along with CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley, CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider, CNN Political Analyst Roland Martin, and Republican strategist Bay Buchanan, thousands of you weighed in.

Click "comments" below for a look at the entire conversation.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
soundoff (4,056 Responses)
  1. Nathan Hale

Olivia, your right you can't take back your words like when Obama said that Rev Wright was his 'mentor' well thats great he's being mentored by a crazed man, whose anti-america, thats the kind of President I want!!!!!

September 11, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  2. Democrat for McCain/Palin

Obama is going tax almost everyone more than they are being taxed now. He wants taxes on home profits (that ought to help the housing market!) He wants to revive the death tax where the govt. gets over half my kids inheritance after an exemption. Inheritance dollars I have already paid taxes on once!!!

If Obama were white, he wouldn't have a chance!

September 11, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  3. Adrienne

William Dalton, this form about service. It is not a debate about the issues you demand answers for. Obama explained his idea of service and explained in detail the path ways to it he would implement.
    William Dalton, how are we going to pay for a needless war?

September 11, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  4. Jamie

I would like to hear Senator Obama's views on Affirmative Action.

September 11, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  5. Arnold

I could care LESS if either of these candidates were convincing today on September 11th. They said they wouldn't use today as political. Then why didn't they BOTH stay out of the spotlight, away from the cameras, and have today focus solely on the tragic deaths of the 3000+ victims of that horrific day? I want to hear from family members, and firefighters, and the people actually involved rather than a useless parade of politicians.

September 11, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  6. PNK

Now that I hear McCain's answer about the joint forums, all appearing on stage together, etc. I feel more like he has possibly done better tonight than Obama. I missed McCain's piece, watched Obama's and wanted to like it :) but at times I felt myself going "uh, what was the question again??" as he went on a bit.

7. Allan Comport

I am a long time CNN faithful viewer. I however find Bay Buchanan's comments so blindly partisan to the point that I cannot watch segments when she is involved. She brings no analysis, no expansion of thought, and no critical thinking to any question or issue presented. Her only comment tonight has been a repeat over and over of "I think Gov. Palin's answer was excellent". I count on CNN for a more indepth and thoughtful response to the issues than that.

8. Southern Girl for Obama

This was a good forum, however, I too would like to see both candidates answering questions together in this venue. I thought that McCain had an advantage at Saddleback since he got to go on second (as well as prepare for the questions as he listened to Obama). That said, now it is even. Let them both answer without the benefit of "prepping" at the other's expense.

I choose to be inspired. Barack Obama will win in 08.

9. mike

She has more experience than Obama and she is no.2 on the ticket. The Messiah i forgot has vast experience as a community organizer. What a joke. He hasn't answered a tough question in 19 months because the liberal media has coddled him all this time. How can you say you are for change when you have never changed anything. He was in Chicago with their corrupt operations and failing school. What has he changed. All you Obama supporters or shall i say sheep, Name me three accomplishments that Obama has made?? Oh that's right he has no accomplishments, except graduating from an ivy leaage school. McCain Palin ) '08

10. Democrat for McCain/Palin

Elephant....are you nuts? Obama can't spell BUSH DOCTRINE!

11. DEMOCRAT FOR OBAMA

Mccain seems to be extremely lost without Palin and from watching the Palin interview so far this evening Palin seems to be very nervous and unsure about the questions that was being asked. It would seem that she would seem a little more confident and relaxed now that she's back home in A-LAS-KA.

Let's put her under the microscope like we did Obama.

NO BIAS NO BULL....

12. Jeremiah

I think we all need to take a step back and think about today. Regardless of whether you are Republican or Democrat, today was something extraordinary. To see McCain and Obama come together, put aside all the bickering and really just focus on what today means was inspiring. Today shows that we can put aside differences and focus on what is important, this nation and our people.

13. Charlene

You don't get it, when you vote your are voting for the ticket. let's keep this real McCain is older and has had medical problems. She could be our President. Tim Russert was fine to and now he's gone. I will never gamble our Country with her.

14. Carole

Watching the Palin interview I saw smugness. Palin's response to did she think about declining McCain's offer when it was made. Amazing, she didn't mention a word about thinking about her family situation, she went all out for herself and said absolutely yes. None of "let me think about it, I've just had a baby with special needs, my daughter's pregnant and underage and not married, my son is going off to Iraq, I have a small child in elementary school, etc.." That's the first thing that comes to my mind. I need to consider my family and what this will mean to their lives before I make a decision that big. I think it's all about her. Her ego appears to be quite big and we know where that got Cheney. Watch out folks, if she can kill a dozen caribou at a shot forget the poor guy just standing out in a field minding his own business.

Her responses along with McCain's tonight – folks I think we're in for another war – you pick the country – I don't think they care.

15. Snoozi

Obama would not mandate, but rather offer a reward in reduced college expenses in turn for community service. Why not? Prisoners breaking rocks is not gonna help the crime in this country, but giving all people a purpose greater than themselves is a step in the right direction. Prisons are still open and wil always be there, now asking those who get welfare, no demanding, service in return for those benefits is a great idea. It would be almost like real work and they mght just take a leap in to the job market and start to sustain themselves.

16. How many more days?

Good lord look at these comments... how many more days do I have to hear and read moronic comments? For once I would like a clean election. I follow politics but can't take much more of this crap.

17. Darryl

Senator John McCain,

What do you say when your own VP selection take money from the federal government in earmark and than say she change her mind on the project for which the money was requested. Canceling the project but keep the money and deverted the money for other use..

I am not a rocket sciencist but isn't that a CRIME?

i GUESS YOU ARE MAKING HER FAMIOUS AND WE WILL KNOW HER NAME SOME VETTING?

18. libwoman

concernedabout.....hahahhaahahah...you are sooo right! It's a relief to know that there are still thinking people out there!!!!

19. Sarah palin is a lier

She is a twisted lady! She wants ANOTHER war with Russia!!!!!

September 11, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  20. P

No one has to pay income tax if you read the admendment, know I don't, it says that companies have to pay on thier gains not thier income, so everyone who is paying income tax now is being taken advantge of, buy the IRS, and the congress that knows the truth about it!

September 11, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  21. Lynda in FL

Great forum and timely; with Ike heading toward Texas. To all of you from Texas, my prayers are with you. To myself and everyone else; it is time to put our words into actions. We must SERVE in any way we can to help Texas and the other city on the coast line.

September 11, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  22. marie

I think Obama did a great job. Why would any dummy bring up Michelle being proud of America in this forum is beyond me. I didn't hear Obama talking about "mandating" community service either. He simply is trying to encourage more people help out their community which is needed to help get this country on the right track, among a host of other things.

September 11, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  23. Thomas

If you vote 90% of the time with President Bush....Then your qualfied to be the next President of the Untited States of America...

Put some lip-stick on Mcain...

September 11, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  24. kathy ng.

I just hope that America stop making governor Palin to be a celebrity here. I hope we can focus on the issues to make this election right.
    Governor Palin is like the ex-contestant of American Idol: William Hung., the one who did not get any singing talent but turned into a celebrity just because he sang so bad.
    I admire governor Palin because she was able to balance between work and handle 5 kids. But I strongly believe that we need a vice president but we don't need a mom here.

September 11, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  25. Epiphanik

Sarah Palin, to me, looked and sounded like she wasn't prepared for ANY of the questions she was asked on today's interview. She had a "deer in the headlights" look on her face. Not confident at all. And it totally annoys me to hear Bay Buchanan talk about how great Palin did, and how the less experience she has the better. That's just ridiculous.

September 11, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163