September 11th, 2008

Live-blogging with The Best Political Team

Weigh in with CNN's analysts and contributors.
Weigh in with CNN's analysts and contributors.

(CNN) –On the anniversary of the September 11 attacks, presidential candidates John McCain and Barack Obama each take the stage to discuss service and civic engagement in a forum at Columbia University.

What do you think of their ideas? How does the role of service determine what kind of nation we live in? What does national service mean to you?

Along with CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley, CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider, CNN Political Analyst Roland Martin, and Republican strategist Bay Buchanan, thousands of you weighed in.

Click "comments" below for a look at the entire conversation.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
soundoff (4,056 Responses)
  1. MM

On one hand he says train foreign students that it is a good way to influence their home countries - but then on the other hand he says that he would try to let all of them stay here. Doesn't make sense!

2. Donald Stuckey

Now he's getting into immigration this may not please the right.

3. Concerned Alaskan

What I would like to know is when is the media going to point out how dependent Alaska is on Federal dollars? A substantial portion of our jobs and budget is generally from Federal grants and earmarks. Of course, this past year is an exception since the state made so much money from oil companies.

4. Ashley

Seriously, "as a woman, I was greatly offended by Obama's comments against Palin." As a woman, I'm greatly offended that Republicans are doing everything they can to cry about things that have nothing to do with their policies. Why? Because this is the same crap McCain has done all along. Forget about talking about policies- spend the whole time talking about being the POW (even though the question had nothing at all to do with POWs) or simply childishly attacking Obama for sayings McCain himself has said not even a year ago. Who cares Obama used the term "lipstick." She didn't coin the term nor does it mean every time someone uses it they are speaking of her! I'm offended that women have no problem falling in love with these two when they are for making women take steps backwards. He's talked about not wanting to do anything about women STILL not having equal pay in the workforce. His answer- women should deal with it up front (you know on Day 1 of the job when it's so obvious you'll be making so much less than your counterpart.) And her beliefs...don't even get me started.

It kills me Bush's approval ratings are so low yet a man running for President with much of the same tactics and policies is ahead in the polls. I guess ignorance is bliss, right America?

5. Andrea

Regarding McCain's criticism of Columbia not allowing ROTC. Maybe I am cynical but, I would hazard a guess that a fair percentage of the students that can and are accepted into Ivy league schools with the military on their mind would be aiming for Westpoint or the Naval Academy and surely not the ROTC.

6. Melody

I love that $$$'s are not his answer to every question... Goodwill is not only acheived by throwing money at other nations.

7. Jim Foster

Ask Ray Nagen if its easy being a mayor.

8. Australian View

From an independent perspective, it is quite obvious to see how biased American media is towards the right. I know quite a lot of senior political reporters, contributors, journalists etc. who are quite friendly with politicians from all sides in my country and I believe it is the same in USA. I do admit that CNN seems more balanced than most (i.e. Fox news propoganda), I am not hearing tough questions being asked to the candidates. Furthermore cross examination appear weak and just touching the surface.

My 2 questions to the panel:

Why do you believe that fair and objective journalism has died in the USA and the world for that matter? and

Are you guys ever going to ask tough questions to your politicians and hold them accountable for their actions/inactions?

9. California Vet

Bay,

This is a forum concerning McCain. Palin was a poorly vetted, quick call based on Obama's pick for VP. If McCain had picked Palin before Obama announced his we would be having a different conversation. I must say I have little respect for what you type.

10. kat

Did he just advocate for going overseas to hire for tech jobs? MY JOB!!! Someone please tell me I heard wrong....

11. Shannon

Lou is exploding right now , I agree..

12. Anne

Roland, Candy, Bill,

Will you be as negative toward Obama when it is his turn? I doubt it. I'm a lifelong Democrat, but the obvious bias toward Obama, and his dirty tactics, have turned me off of this party. I'm so disappointed in all of you, a group I had such high esteem for in the past.

Anne

13. Jane

Palin doesn't come across to me as bold. I see her as a strategic pick, and not as a best choice to run the country if needed.

14. Donna

I would feel safe with John McCain and Sarah Palin in the Oval Office. They are very intelligent but more than that have integrity. They would really work hard for the country, and it's important to have their experience both by their services, Palin as a governor, major, and McCain as a senior senator and a former POW. John McCain has proven his service to our country and he understands the battlefield and the potential threats. John McCain is exceptional and should be our next president,

Obama just is a junior senator and is not really ready to be a commander in cheif unfortunately.

15. Ricardo

All this talk of service to our country and our communities is great, but how much of it is REALLY going to be implemented when either McCain or Obama become the President?

Once they take office, we forget all the promises they made. Are we going to remind them and hold them to it?

16. FLARTIST

Choosing Palin demonstrates his lack of judgment!! America needs to wake up...this woman is nothing but vapor. McCain is selling what's left of his soul to become President!

17. rusty

I can't help thinking McCain is fake. I hear about his famous temper, but he hides it very well. He also seems to do very well at stealing Obama's message. This forum so far seems pretty tame.

18. Roger Woodin

Its hard to beleive what I am hearing McCain is saying the economy is broken !!! Isnt that what |Barack Obama has been saying all along? Someone please comment

19. Greg

He is not going into any depth with most his responses...just generic "yes we need to support this.." "yes we need to support that." McCain is failing to truly penetrate the questions.

20. James Cox

This is crazy, he supports people coming here for an education but can't elaborate on educational issues here in America.

21. Bob

I really like listening to McCain in these types of moments. If it wasn't for the other 90% of the time he talks (ads, speeches, surrogates) I might actually consider giving him my vote. I think he is truly a great person that has given in to the idea that you have to resort to nasty, negative politics to win an election.

22. Maria

I would love to volunteer but now I will have to work till I'm 70 so I can retire and not be dependent on the goverment or live in poverty.
    My kids are out of work and loosing their homes, when will we hear solutions for the young people with families in this country.
    Let's take care of our american family first. Remember charity begins at home.

23. Elijah

Why does he keep avoiding questions?

September 11, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  24. adi

Mccain will continue the war against the world. I personally feel that Mccain shows the phony anger sometimes.

Currently we need someone to focus on economy. Obama is right when he says 'Phony Outrage'. I really want to see a different government at washington.

September 11, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  25. Rick in Minnesota

Would we rather educate them and then let them go back and use it for thier country or keep them here and recieve the benefits...?

September 11, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163