September 11th, 2008

Live-blogging with The Best Political Team

Weigh in with CNN's analysts and contributors.
Weigh in with CNN's analysts and contributors.

(CNN) –On the anniversary of the September 11 attacks, presidential candidates John McCain and Barack Obama each take the stage to discuss service and civic engagement in a forum at Columbia University.

What do you think of their ideas? How does the role of service determine what kind of nation we live in? What does national service mean to you?

Along with CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley, CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider, CNN Political Analyst Roland Martin, and Republican strategist Bay Buchanan, thousands of you weighed in.

Click "comments" below for a look at the entire conversation.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
soundoff (4,056 Responses)
  1. Denni-Florida

I am so sick of John McCain talking about the "tone" of this campaign. He is the one creating the low tone and slimy politics. He is sickening. I can hardly watch.

2. Charles Xavier

Of course Mccain wants to open the border. He's wanted it all along. It's called the North American Union. CNN is censoring my comments!

3. tickerroland

Bay, naming a politician doesn't show change. That's simply making a political pick!

Please stop reading your brother's talking points. LOL

You know I couldn't pass that one up!

4. tickercandy

What about people who are too busy to volunteer as they try to make ends meet? McCain may have missed an opportunity to encourage businesses to let employees volunteer during a couple of work hours.

5. Terri-Ruther Glen

Look at what we did to Iraq...

6. Andre

I would like to ask Sen. John McCain when he speaks about Americans serving and volunteering, does that applied to gays as well or are they excluded.

7. David

Why does McCain continue trying to blame congress right now who are the Democrats are in charge when it wasn't until last election the democrats took over congress, the first 6 years of Bush presidency the Republicans were in power in the Senate and the House. The Economy is in shambles, unemployment rate at its highest 6.1% many loosing their homes and jobs are being lost. High gas a food prices and millions are with our health insurance, me included and students are able to finish their education because of high cost. McCain need to stop putting the blame on the democrats and look at his own party and the presidents leadership that he has been part of and voted with 90% of the time. Now that he is running for president he is trying to distance himself from something he has been part of and should blame himself because he has been part of the blame.
    Dave C
    Pasco, WA.

8. Jeff Erbskorn

I wish they would ask about pre-emptive strikes

9. Anonymous

Come on sheeple, You have to be kidding me. SOme of you seem so simple minded following these republicans deception like a carrot on a stick. I do not have to blindly follow division as I am a independent. It takes intelligence to think for yourself. How can you not see past all of these cheap tricks. He never called her a pig. Here is the overview: the McCain campaign is so desperate, they do not have their own message and they see that Obama's was working so they changed theirs mid-stream to mirror message of change. The republican control has wrecked this country and McCain has voted with that party 95% of the time; what a maverick. These are corporate puppets trying desperatly to keep control. If you are supporting this ideology then you are responsible for wrecking your own country. The repulicans do not want you thinking about the issues because they have no answers. I think John Sewart said it the best when interviewing Huckabee. He said to Huckabee your party has messed it all up but you think your party s the only one that can fix it?

10. Michael

HUMMMMM, this smacks of supreme elitism!

We are better than the rest of the world!
    Thats gonna p[lay really well on the world stage!

11. Mike

Mccain..just mentioned TEDDY ROSELVELT , but he didn't mention what Teddy said. his brain is backlogging. Roland, what seems to be the problem with Mccain?

12. Gerami

Uhhh...this is a question to Mrs. Bay Buchanan.....do you honestly believe that if McCain is elected and somehow kicks the bucket that Palin is ready to lead this country....come on now be realistic

13. Pedro from Spain

I am so pro-American citizen that i can hardly believe that john McCain become president of U.S.A
    I believe that this pro-war speech is completly out-of-touch with the reality in our world. He will not unite the world in the war against terror and for 4 more years America will be alone in the world.

OH and dont tell me that i cannot have an opinion about an American election because this election will affect the world as well. I am from MADRID and i understand what a terrorist atack is and Americans need to understand that the people that want to atack New York or Chicago are the same that want to atack London and Madrid.

I am for OBAMA because the real fight is in Afghanistan and not IRAQ.

14. Independent

You must admit, McCain made an outstanding selection in Palin. He put the Obama team on their heels and they have not recovered very well. Obama keeps talking about change but he picked a running mate that has not been right very much for someone who is suppose to have a "strong" foreign policy background.

15. LC

It is amazing how McCain separates himself with ANYTHING that has to do with the Bush administration. He's openly critical…even disdainful of several Bush policies.

Yet he votes with Bush. Can people not see this?

16. Patrick

I'm not sure how McCain distancing himself from Bush qualifies as amazing... Anything else would constitute political suicide Bill.

17. Taylor

Google Palin bush doctrine...a real eye opener

18. I WANT THE TRUTH

Kim if he is growing on you I need you to take a bath and listen again. This man is so good at double talking and avoiding the question it is ridiculous. Now he wants to over populate our country some more with more immigrants. Come on we barely have enough space now.We do not have enough resources for fuel, we put all kind of crap in our food to make it grow quicker, but hey lets bring more people to the party that will really help America. I think his time is up on stage and we need to move on hear what Obama has to say.

19. DR MUHAMMAD MURTALA

Why should America still be spending Billions in War?

20. how

What was he doing when Katrina citizens were UNDER water?

21. Mr. Martinez

How does McCain feel about cutting funding for educational institutions that do not allow ROTC on their campus? It seems that the rest of his party feels that they should cut funding for them because they do not push the military agenda!

22. Griff

I don' have any Photo Now! But ! I was one of the best, 35mltr . But how would you know??

23. Marine Officer

I find it fascinating that a woman of such leadership and supposed intellect as Governor Palin would disparage community organizers by making the comment that "I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a community organizer, except that you have actual responsibilities." Apparently she doesn't get out of Alaska that much. Must be nice to live in an ivory palace.

24. Hillary Clinton

Is this American Self Centerism, which is parallel to Eurocentricism?

25. Renee

I'm retired military with a graduate degree, the military needs to up the requirement, everything is high tech requiring @ least a 12th grade reading and comprehensive level. McCain is side tracking issues, and is obvious that the news media lately are not exposing him for he really is and for Palin, I shot excellent on all my weapons, qualification and I ran community orgnizations oversees and took care of 3 children to include an ADHCD CHILD. Maybe I should run for VP, Oh by the way, I shot a good basketball game.

September 11, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163