September 11th, 2008

Live-blogging with The Best Political Team

Weigh in with CNN's analysts and contributors.
Weigh in with CNN's analysts and contributors.

(CNN) –On the anniversary of the September 11 attacks, presidential candidates John McCain and Barack Obama each take the stage to discuss service and civic engagement in a forum at Columbia University.

What do you think of their ideas? How does the role of service determine what kind of nation we live in? What does national service mean to you?

Along with CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley, CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider, CNN Political Analyst Roland Martin, and Republican strategist Bay Buchanan, thousands of you weighed in.

Click "comments" below for a look at the entire conversation.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
soundoff (4,056 Responses)
  1. Sean

As a college graduate that applied Peace Corps upon graduation I find it really hard to listen to these politicians telling me to give back. I filled out the 15 page application, wrote 2 essays that were required, marked that I would go anywhere in the world and do anything. I just wanted to help people in less fortunate countries in anyway I could, and I didn't have the money to go through a private company. Part of the application asks for any and all criminal charges against a person. I stated that I was arrested at the age of 19 for possession of a small amount of marijuana and that the record had since been expunged from my record. Needless to say I received a rejection letter in the mail about 4 weeks late. It stated that the Peace Corps only has 6,000 openings and over 10,000 people apply each year. Please do not tell me that more people need to serve their country when the country won't allow them to serve. I wonder if I applied for the military if they would send me a similar letter???

2. C F

To Bill, We may not have learned anything new about McCain but Obama hasn't spoken yet.

3. Lisa in Ga

Still clapping...way to go O"

4. rusty

I have to say I think McCain did well. He tip toed around the nasty campaign question, though. This country is very divided right now, in large part because of the tone of the Primaries, and now the General election campaigns. I think the moderaters kind of let that one slide. McCain's ads have been particularly nasty.

5. RAY PADGETT

Why do the moderators have to be so so very polite ? Why can't they ask those real issues that has caused this election to be so grand.... not to mention the cost of "running for office" is mind blowing

6. Warner

John Macain is running dirty political game. He is running ad in the Midwest stating that Obama and democrats ballooned the Federal deficit. In fact when Clinton left the office we were in surplus. When unpopular Bush came to office he ballooned our federal deficit and today we are in deep trouble. Mccain was part of the republican congress that approved tax cuts, and also the unpopualr war in Ira and Afgansistan. Mcain will continue Bush legacy. That is worrisome. Regardless of Palin being a VP candidate, I hope democrats and independents voters who vote for Hillary will vote for Obama.

Right now the issue is not personality. It is about who can steer us in to right direction. We have unpopular war, in which we are spending 10-12 billions a month. THis money can be spent here at home. It can be given to companies interest free loan. They can build infrastructure, spend on R&D such high-tech, pharma, medicine, stem cell research, cancer, diabetic etc. Did Bush lose his mind? I think he had bad advisers and he also dump too.

Anyway, I think Obama-Biden ticket will pull the country in the right direction.

Palin – says that she is ready for a war with Russia. Look like she talking like 18 yr old. what dump. Russia is not Iraq. Do we another war while the country in recession. People are finidng hard to support themselves. Loss of jobs, high inflation, high enrgy costs, mortgage crisis etc. I do not thing she is an effective leader. She is dump too.

7. Chad

Is it my imagination or are McCain and Paulin just some bullies who seem to have everyone blinded by changing their minds on topics they once stood for, saying what the people want to hear now and attacking the Obama campaign with over exagerated rude comments

8. Jan Moore

Why is it smart for McCain to deliberattly avoid the immigration battle by skirting the issue of green cards for hich tech foreign students. That is not smart. That is avoiding telling the voting public when he stands

9. Sherry Floyd

What is Mccain talking about? Saying he wants to invite MORE immigrants into our nation to educate them and show them what it is to be an American citizen" ? ! Is he aware of what he's even saying? He looks and acts too much like BAtman's JOKER -

10. Aaron

I thought I would hear about oil or something. I know what it means to be an American. I don't need to hear it from him.

11. Payam

I was wondering why Obama is not specific on his message of "Change." Why does he let the Republicans take his message and present it in thier own way?

12. roberto

when i listen to mcain im worried for our relationships with other countries. when i look at him im just worried that our country will be run by sarah palin. scary. very scary.

13. mary

just did't see McCain as a maverick, more like an aged renegade and that's scarey.

14. cherry strawberry

This is FUN. CNN needs to do this more often.

15. Not Republican, Democrat but an Amercan

The interviewer needs to keep each candidate answering the specific question(s) and not rambling on a canned paragraph of whatever group they are trying to appeal to (Example: Baptists).

16. David, Gaston SC

Scott, I read that drilling would take up to 10 years same amount of time that it would take for obamas plan but obamas plan would lower the polution by a major adjustment

17. Matt in MS

We're looking for a debate when what has been established is more like a company softball match. At Saddleback there was drama because 1) McCain had not yet shored up his conservative base and 2) Obama was in enemy territory.

18. Rick in Minnesota

I'll bet he can afford them!!

19. Janiece

I wonder if Barack's confidence went up after hearing Sarah Palin's interview. Everyone watch on 20/20 tonight! They are going to show the whole Palin interview.

20. Dorothy Snuffer

Can we PLEASE get to bussines and ask questions about minimum wage increase's, health care, What are the future plans to move ahead, I'm bored stiff with hearing about I've served my country, I'm almost spewing about how Mcain served in the military. He jumped out a plane got caught then inprisioned , he NEVER served and WHO cares that was decades ago ,sounds alot like Hoover in every pot 2 chickens and in every garage 2 cars.We the public want to hear only the PRESENTand future. Enough with the serving, it's old hat. That and a wooden nickel won't get a busride.
    Why don't the Senators – Congress start taking a decrease in their pay-checks. They are all multi-millionares, how in the world can they have a clue that the poor are drowning in debt, puting food on the table, paying the increasing utility bills .
    No one TRUST goverment , goverment is corrupted in every way, the kick backs, tax payers paying for Senators, Congress's families vacation.
    Let's get real and one have the decency to SPEAK truthfully to the American people.

21. Jed in Texas

I want to know if anyone is found guilty of treasonous acts or high crimes in this administration next year,will they be prosicuted or Pardoned?

22. Barbara

I think the faith and politics forum was more challenging.

23. Thed Weller

Are they asking Obama the same questions? Was he in a cone of silence?

24. Godwin O

Now the "Change" candidate is in the house to his advantage.

25. Andre

How can McCain talk about change and use Rove tactics that do nothing but divide this nation. Please tell me as well how can Cindy McCain say she has always been proud on the nation. I love this nation and served it in the military, but I have not always been proud of its conduct. My parents have always loved me, but there has been times I have hurt them. Are you telling me Cindy McCain was proud when Blacks were beaten and hosed down in the 60's? Was she proud that people were killed in the struggle for civil rights in this nation, that laws were on the books to prevent people for no other reason but the color of their skin or gender their rights?

September 11, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163